Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Karma up and down

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Forum Feedback & Help by Korn (30 Jul 2004 - 17:28)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Karma up and down Reply with quote

Hey, I've been thinking that, when you edit your posts, does this make your Karma go down? What if you was just adding something? Or perhaps correcting a mistake? Also, does putting several posts one after the other do anything bad for Karma? I know there's a little time limit but just wondering. Oh, and yes, I have read the article about Karma (https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21812) but it doesn't answer my questions. Further more, if edit it before someone else has posted, or after, does this make a difference?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:05 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone so bloody obsessed with karma. Who cares, as long as your not banned from it don't worry, really... Just post useful stuff and stop moaning.

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you another chance to rate my posts as redundant, abusive or what ever yams, but I'm not moaning, I was asking a question, several at that.
Superabusa This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Susi
Whitton Girl

PostPosted: 18:12 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I used to have yellow karma, then it all went bye byes in one day.

Since then I've had to start from scratch and to tell the truth I don't really give a dogs bollocks about it anymore.

Last edited by Susi on 18:12 - 30 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:12 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrique86 wrote:
I'll give you another chance to rate my posts as redundant, abusive or what ever yams, but I'm not moaning, I was asking a question, several at that.

I have no reason to rate your posts abusive Rolling Eyes I only rate posts if they need rating.......... not sure what you mean by it really.

synaptyx
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:15 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing Enrique, I must have edited a post from last week about 10 times. Laughing

Adam.I
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I should explain *looks for the topic*

Ahh... here it is Yams https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=239667&highlight=#239667

You as well as several people rated my responses as being abusive and redundant. Off topic yes, but not the formers. What's done is done I guess.

Anyway, does anyone know the answers?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:26 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrique86 wrote:
Ok, maybe I should explain *looks for the topic*

Ahh... here it is Yams https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=239667&highlight=#239667

You as well as several people rated my responses as being abusive and redundant. Off topic yes, but not the formers. What's done is done I guess.

Eh? No offence......... but why you come onto here and tell people to keep their questions to other forums etc in an abusive manner, then have a go at us for having a go at you... then you expect no one to rate your post down?

And why pick on me?? Razz

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 18:28 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you edit a post most of the original effects it had on your karma (bar some of the very bad ones) are removed and re-calculated based on the edited version of the post.

In summary... don't worry about it! Karma

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:29 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your karma level doesn't have any effect unless you manage to make it red (or black Laughing ) so as long as you don't do that then you'll have no problems at all. Don't know the answers to your questions, would expect that it won't affect your karma to edit a post (well, assuming you don't edit it and fill it with spelling errors). Nothing wrong with adding something or changing something in one of your posts, as long as what your changing or adding doesn't wind the karma system up. So I would say yes it can and does if needed change your karma, but would expect only in the normal and expected ways.

I'd say yes it was abusive and redundant. Your post was not needed or called for at all, you posted basically saying fuck off, to a sensible and well written post, which was not in the wrong section or anything so was no need for you to post that, and the moderators agree with this as they have not revoked the ratings given to you post. Just need to engage brain and have a bit of a think about why the ratings were used, but it's quite clear and sensible.
Superabusa This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
and the moderators agree with this as they have not revoked the ratings given to you post

I think thats the only real disagreement I have with the karma system as it is run here, 'rating' is a form of opinion. By revoking a rating the mod is effectively stating you have no right to said opinion simply because they disagree. Makes having an opinion a little redundant Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:59 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is because they disagree. But if I were to rate your post there as spam, that rating would be removed as it's not at all correct. From what I've seen, the moderators don't revoke ratings very often, just whenever needed which isn't that often as most of the time people have the common sense to use the correct rating. And when the ratings are revoked, it is pretty much because the rating doesn't have anything to do with the raters opinion of the post, it is to do normally with their opinion of the person that wrote the post that they are rating so is uncalled for and wrong. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen from time to time, and the moderators are there to remove it when it does happen.

Super 'Busa, you'll soon learn to give a flying fuck when the karma system sits on you, as keep posting crap posts like that and people will rate them, and then the karma system will take a disliking to you.

Don't annoy the karma system, as otherwise you leave yourself open to have it point a few things out to you. The more you annoy it the more it will point out and make you do, and annoy it to much and it'll point the exit of this site out to you, and make you use it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:

I think thats the only real disagreement I have with the karma system as it is run here, 'rating' is a form of opinion. By revoking a rating the mod is effectively stating you have no right to said opinion simply because they disagree. Makes having an opinion a little redundant Wink

Same with any forum really, if a moderator doesn't like your post or what else you do, they can change it.
So why bother posting in the fist place? Smile

There are guidelines for how to use the rating system I believe: ie what each rating means etc. Follow that and you shouldn't have a problem.
However, say you start rating all someone else's posts who you don't like as 'abusive' when they do not apear to be abusive. Then we would probably pm you and revoke the ratings if you didn't provide a decent explanation.

One of the reasons for the ratings system is so that we hopefully don't have to edit some posts. (Which has on occasion had to be done due to their content).

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Same with any forum really, if a moderator doesn't like your post or what else you do, they can change it.
So why bother posting in the fist place? Smile

There are guidelines for how to use the rating system I believe: ie what each rating means etc. Follow that and you shouldn't have a problem.
However, say you start rating all someone else's posts who you don't like as 'abusive' when they do not apear to be abusive. Then we would probably pm you and revoke the ratings if you didn't provide a decent explanation.

One of the reasons for the ratings system is so that we hopefully don't have to edit some posts. (Which has on occasion had to be done due to their content).

As far as the guidelines go, there can be a discrepency as to how a description is read and how it is intended. Text based communication is a notoriously hazy medium as far as getting subtext across to another party goes, one persons abuse may be another persons loving pet name, ones spam may be anothers 'interest', it's entirely subjective. Hence my confusion as to how you can arbitrarily state someone is wrong in an opinion and summarily change it Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:39 - 30 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they're written as acuratly as possible, and there havn't been any cases of someone saying they don't understand what they mean. And spam is spam, be it spamming something of interest or not, it's still spam so would be rated as such.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1