Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrade time for me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Upgrade time for me Reply with quote

So, after recent goings-on, I'm now on a full A licence. To celebrate, I've upgraded from this-

https://i.imgur.com/HUGc6Ht.jpg

Decided I wanted something faster and with wind protection, so this was in a local dealer. Looks literally like it's just came from the factory.

First night I had it we had bad snow, so I took all the fairings off and polished then waxed them

https://i.imgur.com/LBTIt3g.jpg

Back together-

https://i.imgur.com/bqQJBvu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GnoKrZB.jpg

Love it so far, much better wind protection than the Street Triple obviously and it doesn't feel like it's screaming its head off when cruising on the motorway. The fuel filler channel is odd though, as you can't actually see your fuel through it. All that's been done to it so far is a set of R&G paddock stand bobbins and some black/blue adjustable levers

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:29 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! You did a great job with the polishing & waxing. I assume you're planning on buying an aftermarket exhaust system?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say Upgrade??

I'm sorry but my eyes don't see one in that big fat plastic blue second bike.

Though I could just be an old bastard that doesn't know what a pinnacle bike looks like anymore? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpartanX wrote:
Looks great! You did a great job with the polishing & waxing. I assume you're planning on buying an aftermarket exhaust system?

That's it after 3 days of use in this crap weather as well. With proper waxing, a ten second hose rinse has the paintwork back to clean again - brilliant stuff, but it's £45 a tub. Will last forever for a bike though. One of those tubs normally does about 10-15 cars.

I'll probably buy one but I'm not in too much of a hurry yet. I want to find one that I can install without the hangar in place of the pillion peg. I think this means taking headers from a 2009 model along with link pipe and try find a pipe that will mount in some way. Alternatively get a hold of a pre-2012 system that uses two cans. I think two cans looks quite mean, better than one small can anyway.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Did you say Upgrade??

I'm sorry but my eyes don't see one in that big fat plastic blue second bike.

Though I could just be an old bastard that doesn't know what a pinnacle bike looks like anymore? Laughing

It's actually not that big at all. I parked it outside work beside a bunch of CBF/YBR 125s and a bunch of mopeds and the GSXR was the smallest looking thing there. The garage is through a quite narrow gate as well, that is much easier to get through on the gixxer, so I would probably go as far as saying that ignoring handlebars, the Suzuki is the narrower bike. Although it feels odd having fairings there as I'm so used to a bike without them. I'm only 5 foot 5/6 and even with the GSXR on a rear paddock stand, I can still get on and off it quite easily, they're tiny!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:49 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that really an upgrade?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded wind protection Thumbs Up

Preferred the triumph Very Happy

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Faster, headlights that actually work, better on fuel, wind protection, looks nicer, handles better. It does everything better than the Triumph, in my eyes anyway.

The only thing I'm losing on is the upright comfort but I don't find the position on this bike particularly uncomfy.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Faster, headlights that actually work, better on fuel, wind protection, looks nicer, handles better. It does everything better than the Triumph, in my eyes anyway.

The only thing I'm losing on is the upright comfort but I don't find the position on this bike particularly uncomfy.

I'll concede the fuel and wind protection points but does it really handle better?
I rode my mates GSXF, a different bike I know but that handled like a barge in comparison.
The headlight issue is also a bit of a puzzle to me, mine are more than good enough.
Looks are subjective of course but these are completely different styles.
I think you just had enough of explaining to people what the hell a Street Triple was.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both look like fantastic bikes, hope you enjoy the new one!

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I'll concede the fuel and wind protection points but does it really handle better?
I rode my mates GSXF, a different bike I know but that handled like a barge in comparison.

The headlight issue is also a bit of a puzzle to me, mine are more than good enough.

Looks are subjective of course but these are completely different styles.
I think you just had enough of explaining to people what the hell a Street Triple was.

Definitely handles better. The Street Triple R ride was also much less forgiving, but the GSXR handles like its on rails. And that's with a set of tyres that I can't get to warm up. I'm putting some PR3s on next week that will be able to get some more grip down than these BT014s. The feedback the bike provides is amazing, especially at the back. The Triumph rear end felt a bit vague to me and I tried every shock setting I could.

Google "Street Triple Headlight Upgrade". There are a fair few threads around of people not being happy with the stock lights. On totally unlit motorway or backroads, I felt them to be borderline dangerous. The GSXRs light is like a football stadium in comparison.

I've always loved the style of the GSXR from 2006 onwards. With a tail tidy and clean rear end I think they look amazing.

True on the last point. Nobody knows what a Street Triple is, and is confused when they ask what size engine it is.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both lovely bikes. I really liked the colour of your Striple though, and the low exhaust Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that triple with the colour and exhaust, very smart!

Tell me more.. How much did you get for it? Miles?

Oh.. And the GSXR.. Nice Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:34 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:

I've ridden a LOT of bikes and I can't honestly say that I've found the Street Triple R wanting in the handling department.

Dcwhite1984
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice to me Thumbs Up But then i prefer sports bikes to naked's.

Wouldnt say its a massive upgrade more of a sideways step, but does it really matter what any of us think?? were not riding it.

Enjoy it Very Happy Looks mint btw

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:33 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much faster is it.

In real terms, you'll get eaten by a well ridden 400.

Looks nice, but you need the rider to get the most out of it, I'm still dog slow on the track and thats on an SV but I still pass GSXRs... so faster is subjective, being able to do everything faster...

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've ridden a LOT of bikes and I can't honestly say that I've found the Street Triple R wanting in the handling department.

I just felt the back end to be a bit vague, front feedback was good. Granted I'm on the heavier side, the standard R shock isn't great with us chubbos apparently. I dare say a new shock setup at the back would've made a fair bit of difference, but I also feel that body position makes a huge diffference on the GSXR whereas it didn't do a massive amount to the feel on the Street Triple. At least in comparison, it seems to help more. I haven't pushed too hard yet, but I can definitely tell that the GSXR handles better although it takes slightly more work as it's far more input-sensitive.

Paddy. wrote:
How much faster is it.

In real terms, you'll get eaten by a well ridden 400.

Looks nice, but you need the rider to get the most out of it, I'm still dog slow on the track and thats on an SV but I still pass GSXRs... so faster is subjective, being able to do everything faster...

Definitely agree with you, there are two elements to fast, the bike and the rider. I feel going faster easier already on the GSXR due to the position, I found the upright riding style of the Street Triple was quite odd to me in terms of moving around on the bike and I prefer the more direct feedback from clip ons rather than handlebars.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
Love that triple with the colour and exhaust, very smart!

Tell me more.. How much did you get for it? Miles?

Oh.. And the GSXR.. Nice Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

I was getting offers privately of £4.2-£4.1k. The dealer I got the GSXR from gave me £4k for it. All the dealers down in England that had nicely priced GSXRs were offering between £3.1k and £3.7k. Bikes in the used market cost more up here but we get more in trade-in as well... it's odd.

Think it had 8420 miles on it. The GSXR has just over 3k on it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:49 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I do like the look but K5/6 GSXR1000 is still the best looking one for me.

I do however, prefer my standard Street Triple with its basic suspension. Thumbs Up

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Fair enough, I do like the look but K5/6 GSXR1000 is still the best looking one for me.

I do however, prefer my standard Street Triple with its basic suspension. Thumbs Up

My favourite was the K7, as it was the K5 look with the dual exhausts. I think the dual exhausts look really cool. I think to set off the GSXRs now, you need to get that space under the seat pod clear. I want a pipe that mounts further down, or at least doesn't use the pillion hangar to get that back area clear. That should look ten times better. Either that or get an older set of headers and put a dual pipe system on it.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 05 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice GSXR you've acquired though honestly like a few others I would be hard pressed to consider it an upgrade Confused IMO. Just out of curiosity why not Daytona?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 05 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice toy, though I think I would have kept the triple. You are kicking the arse out of ignoring A2 restrictions a bit! Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:09 - 05 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might not approve of the change but how anyone can say this isn't an upgrade is beyond me. Laughing

675CC vs 1000CC
98BHP vs 182BHP
£7k vs £11k

The GSXR 1000 is the flagship bike for Suzuki, lets face it the Street Triple is probably the bottom of Triumphs Range.

* Ketchup
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/gsx-r1000/2012/
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/triumph/street-triple-675/2007/

That was really hard to write as someone who likes Triumphs and hates Suzukis

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:13 - 05 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realise it was the 1000, however, my point about being on track still stands, heck even on the road I've been chewed and spat out by lower cc.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:18 - 05 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Didn't realise it was the 1000, however, my point about being on track still stands, heck even on the road I've been chewed and spat out by lower cc.

If my aunt had bollocks she'd me my uncle. There is fuck all value in saying someone who is better rider would be faster. I'm sure Rossi would smash me on a moto3 bike even if I was on a GP bike, does it mean anything? Well it means he is a better rider, but we already knew that...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:23 - 05 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is he said he wanted something faster.

I'd like to see side by side how much faster he is on this.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2