Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for a track bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 03 Mar 2015    Post subject: Looking for a track bike! Reply with quote

So I've decided to get a track bike....Me and a friend are desperate to try a few trackdays but neither of us want to risk our road bikes so we're looking at buying one together. Nothing fancy, 600cc, budget around 1k but where's the best place to look? We're checking eBay constantly but nothing suitable has come up yet. Anywhere else to look?

Will definitely be doing Rockingham as soon as we get one and then progress further afield!

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: Looking for a track bike! Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
So I've decided to get a track bike....Me and a friend are desperate to try a few trackdays but neither of us want to risk our road bikes so we're looking at buying one together. Nothing fancy, 600cc, budget around 1k but where's the best place to look? We're checking eBay constantly but nothing suitable has come up yet. Anywhere else to look?

Will definitely be doing Rockingham as soon as we get one and then progress further afield!

Mtfu and take your own bike. Don't crash it, see if you like it, THEN spunk a grand on a bike.

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point in that when I can afford a dedicated track bike? I know I'll like it, that's why I'm planning on doing it.

Thanks for your wise words of wisdom but sourcing a track bike is what I was asking advice on.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
I know I'll like it, that's why I'm planning on doing it.

Really? How do you know that, have you been on track before?

Anyway - nothing suitable has come up, probably because your budget is too low. You may find a ragged out ZX6R or an SV650 for £1k but that's about it.

Be aware that a "cheap" £1k bike to use for track days can soon become a money pit just getting it sorted and ready.

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's too low, there's a lot about atm but just seem to be at the wrong end of the country for me.

An old cbr, gsxr or zx6r will be perfect. As for a money pit I agree but there's plenty of good deals out there. Yes they will have been thrashed round a track many times and look worse for wear but that's what I want it for. A strong engine/frame is all that concerns me.

I'll keep you posted on the search.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:24 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
I don't think it's too low, there's a lot about atm but just seem to be at the wrong end of the country for me.

An old cbr, gsxr or zx6r will be perfect. As for a money pit I agree but there's plenty of good deals out there. Yes they will have been thrashed round a track many times and look worse for wear but that's what I want it for. A strong engine/frame is all that concerns me.

I'll keep you posted on the search.

If you know so much, why ask for advice? Jeez.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Kawaski%20ZX7R%202000/IMGP0089_zps8881d21f.jpg

As an example of paying a bit more.

I paid £1600 for my track bike - as it stands in that picture with braided lines, slip on can, Olins rear shock, single seat unit. Seller threw in a spare set of wheels with RaceTec scrubs on. I put a new chain and sprockets on it and used it.

When I sold it I got £1600 back for the bike (with an MOT) and sold the spare rims separately. The bike was advertised on Gumtree, not ebay, when I got it and I think that helped keep it cheap.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Below lies the advice of somebody who has never been on a track day*

I grabbed my old steelie cbr600f off of eBay, think I paid £1000 on the dot. It did a good 30,000 miles of commuting from there (I broke it for spares at 50,000 and the engine was mostly alright still).

It wasn't set up for the track or anything, just a more or less standard road bike. Would have done nicely for track work though I reckon as a starting bike, you'd have probably wanted to upgrade it after a few sessions but I see no reason it wouldn't have done to begin with.

That's what I would do, grab a cheap 90's sports bike for the first few sessions, then look at trading it in for something else down the line.

Loads of 600f's in your price range: complete listings

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
What's the point in that when I can afford a dedicated track bike?

If you've only got a grand and you can't find a bike for a grand, then no, you can't afford it.

There's usually a few guys in fast on road bikes with road tyres and they do fine; there's a lot more in novice where you'll be Wink

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother.

Spend £150 and get some rough fairings and a tank for your k4.

You can spend the rest on tyres and track time and it will be far better than any £1000 heap of a track bike.

Plus you'll then realise riding a sports bike on the road is shit anyway.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay89 wrote:
A strong engine/frame is all that concerns me.

Youll need to do the suspension, the brakes and tyres also.

Else there is no point in have a 'strong' engine.

APT Motorcycles

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have had some good advice given here.

The whole bike really needs to be sorted and ready before you take it on track. There is no way I would buy a £1k shitter and then take it straight on a track day. You are pushing everything harder than on the road and you need to make sure the whole bike is up to it.

Got a feeling OP doesn't want all this advice he has been given and will go and waste a grand anyway.

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that a few friends picked up a track bike for 1k. Rough paint etc but who cares, hardly needed any work and they've been tracking it ever since. There not putting in blistering times but there having fun and that's the point right? They got a load of spares too, spare seat unit and wets on wheels to name some.
I do appreciate the advice and I am listening. Just having seen it been done at that price it's something I'm going to stick with. I was only after a few suggestions of where to look

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:52 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650, ideal bike and is more than capable on track. Can be had for a grand. Mine was perfectly fine until I crashed it. It cost minimal to put it back but yeah, grab a cheap shitty tank and some scuffed panels and use what you know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has a sv650 but I've never really looked into them. I will do now though, Cheers for the suggestion Thumbs Up

fozzym
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in all the usual places, ebay, autotrader, gumtree, local paper, pistonheads ect ect.

Also worth going down to your local track when a trackday is on and talk to the guys and gals doing the day. You might find someone selling a bike or who knows someone who is.

To be honest a grand won't get you much unless it's someone that really needs to get rid quick.

Brakes and suspension are as important as anything else. Track riding on anything 600cc or above is basically, accelerate, brake, turn, repeat.

Thumbs Up

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 07 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't go for a SV personally.

Doesn't make too much sense buying a commuter bike for the track when you already have the ideal bike for the track...

Roo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold a srad 600 for 1k. It went with sorted suspension, wets on wheels, a nicely fettled engine, some spares full system etc... The bikes are out there... That said its very easy to get burned you're buying at the absolute arse end of the market. Anything you buy at this price point will need stripping down and rebuilding, valve clearances will need checking, tyres will almost inevitably need binning etc. It's extremely unlikely you'll pay 1k and be able to go straight to track with it... I'm not saying don't buy a cheap bike just budget for stuff that'll need sorting.
Thumbs Up

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea things like tyres and new parts will be budgeted for but looking for one that needs these bits doing is better in my eyes as then I can put the stuff on that I want rather than having stuff someone else has chosen. May sound like a strange way of doing it but that's my preference Smile
Just looked at the sold items on eBay and it's made me a lot more hopefully of picking up a good one!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 08 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride your road bike.

Buying a track bike with a mate could easily be a bigger financial risk than riding your road bike on a track day is. Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Buying a track bike with a mate could easily be a bigger financial risk than riding your road bike on a track day is. Laughing

What are you going to do when one of you turns out to be a complete lemon on track and manages to high side it or lunches the engine? Are you going to happily and amicably split the repair costs? Also, how are you going to split the riding on the day - different groups or different days?

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all is agreed, all cost will be completely split down the middle irrelevant of who's fault etc. We're both honest and trustworthy friends so they'll be know conflicts. The riding on the day will be alternate sessions, bit harder to get into a flow i admit but as we're just starting out its more than enough. If we find one progresses better than the other or something then theres always the option of buying the other out but i doubt we'll get to that.

Ste...if i 'Just ride my road bike' and something does happen which is very possible then 1. it'll cost alot to repair, thats if i dont fudge the frame. and 2. i'll be without a bike to ride on the road. In my eyes id rather not take that risk. Each to their own and all that.

I realise it could be abit of a money pit but what motorsport isnt? Its all fun in my opinion, even repairing the inevitable spills Smile

We've thought it through and are happy to go ahead with it. The two guys we know who already share a bike, well one is his brother so we can see how it works etc.

All good points mentioned though. Thanks Thumbs Up

Jay89
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX6R-ZX6-track-race-bike-zx636-/261799912447?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3cf47da3ff

What are peoples opinions on this?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if going for a ZX6R, I would be looking at a 2003 to 2005. Better USD forks, radial brakes, lighter and more power, they make a great track bike. 180 rear tyre as standard too, so you can easily find race scrubs for it if you want.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:59 - 09 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:

Doesn't make too much sense buying a commuter bike for the track when you already have the ideal bike for the track...

Says the person that rides a c90 around Cadwell.
Razz

However, yes; while the SV worked well for me for actual racing, I'd choose a 600 sports bike for track use.

I'd personally try and approach a trackday with the intention not to crash. A crash early in the day could take out the entire day for the other rider.

As ever, you're a lot more in control as far as crashing on track goes - no oncoming traffic, pedestrians or metal work on the 'racing line'.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2