Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Had my First Race......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 Mar 2015    Post subject: Had my First Race...... Reply with quote

Well, I entered Pre-National 600s series with Thundersport as a lot of my friends kept telling me to get into it after numerous trackdays.

So, I did, and bought myself a 2006 R6;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/038_zpslev3rzng.jpg

I had a pre season warm up in Almeria(4 day event) where it took me a whole day to even get a proper feel for the new bike, in fact it took me 5 sessions to even get my knee down. Mega rusty was an understatement. It had been a year and a half of not being on track.

Anyway, testing day came last Friday, where I was pumping out a very below par of 57s laps around Brands Indy, not good enough.

I had a bit of a word with my self and chatted to a few people who gave me some tips, especially braking points, and the braking point into Paddock Hill Bend being around the 250m to 200m mark.... Shocked Shocked Shocked I was braking 100m before that Laughing Laughing

So I manned up a bit and dove in head first....Scarey as fook is a statement I'd use here, but it worked as I tried this in Qualification and took a second off my time. 10 mins into the qualification we got red flagged, I got an update and I was in 31st position on the grid out of 44 riders. This simply would not do.

So, we had 6 mins left, 1 warm up lap and off I went building up to a quick last lap. 6th lap came and I pinned it and pushed as much as I could....Nailed 30th with a PB of 55 seconds Thumbs Up Very Happy I'll take that.

So here's me on the grid, 30th and bricking myself for my first race start;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/044_zpsu2vwuhb8.jpg

Hitting Paddock Hill Bend for under start conditions wasn't as bad as I thought, I managed to take the outside line in every race making up at least 4 spots each time;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/PHbend_zpsfec6hmkq.png

Didn't do too well as I was no where near as aggressive as I needed to be, I finished the race 32nd. But, still enjoyed the experience to no end. Hit a new PB of 54.3 secs as well.

Race 2 I started in 30th again. Managed a finish of 28th position, discovered a chap pacing the same speed as me and had great battles with him throughout, overtaking him on paddock hill, he overtakes me at Druids, I do him at Surtees, he takes me at Druids. Awesome fun. Hit another PB of 53.8 secs Getting quicker Very Happy

Here's the battle in the 3rd race with my new mate;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/11036530_841138639265653_181342445926646434_o_zpsyqqqhjio.jpg

Mega Laps times came in for tomorrows race, and I lost 3 spots on the grid even though I was hitting PB's all over the place, I guess everyone else was doing the same.

Times ranged from 50.1 - 54.4 seconds, so, mega tight from front to back.

Race 3, I finished 28th again and a new PB of 52.7 seconds

Race 4, my absolute favorite, I made about 6-7 bike leap on Paddock, and another 2 at Druids, I kept up with a bunch for about 6-7 laps, then we thinned out a bit, I was chasing...Yet again, my pal on 79 bike, but also had another chap behind me, I could hear his R6 screaming at me. I was gaining and gaining on 79 for about 3 laps until I was on his tail, last lap, last bend, seriously something out of a movie....I knew he was slow around Clearways and I got a decent drive out. On the start/Finish straight and I nab 24th off him, mega happy with that result.

Overall a great experience as these chaps are super quick, looking forward to Donnington Park on the 11th & 12th for the next round.

Here are a few more pics of the day;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/10945801_835727079832735_5788936814505220211_o_zpsow4xz044.jpg
https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/036_zpsfrpruo0y.jpg
https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/022_zpsjxsb8pxp.jpg
https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/Untitled_zpsk5gqvcvq.png
https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/10855003_859906524083821_1070002206668504102_o_zpspp3j9y1c.jpg
https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/019_zpsuyxit3bg.png
https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/027_zpszxdeczne.jpg

The race will be aired on Motors.tv on Thursday 19th at 21:30 if anyone fancies a watch

If you want to see more pics, or want to follow my season, my FB racing page is below.

Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:50 - 12 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cracking can I ask what tyres your running and did they last the weekend?

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running Dunlops, I had a D211 that I used for 2 days on track in Almeria which put me through Qualifying and one race.

I put a spanking new Dunlop D212 4 compound(hardish tyre) on for 3 races, super tyre btw, and that will last me for the next race meet for qualifying and maybe 2 races before that one goes.

What I want to get in the habit of is using my current used tyre for testing, then new tyre for qualifying and the 4 races, then use that tyre for the next race testing....so on and so forth.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup! Looks brilliant.

I bet no overtake compares to how close you shot by me on our Hornets on that ride-out though Laughing

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoovyRR wrote:

I bet no overtake compares to how close you shot by me on our Hornets on that ride-out though Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing That was pretty close, I was tailing you for ages! Thumbs Up

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:34 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
I was running Dunlops, I had a D211 that I used for 2 days on track in Almeria which put me through Qualifying and one race.

I put a spanking new Dunlop D212 4 compound(hardish tyre) on for 3 races, super tyre btw, and that will last me for the next race meet for qualifying and maybe 2 races before that one goes.

What I want to get in the habit of is using my current used tyre for testing, then new tyre for qualifying and the 4 races, then use that tyre for the next race testing....so on and so forth.

Confirming what I've heard from others about being able to use tyre next weekend, if possible could you check the manufacture date on tyre for the d211 I got a set of scrubs but stamped 2010 so not sure if still useable, its usually in a circle on tyre wall will say 04/12 meaning 4th week of 2012.

Cheers

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I will check tomorrow when I get back home for you. Although that was a brand new tyre in January, I bought from the trackday company, so, I guess....sorry.....HOPE that it was a new one Laughing Laughing

Do you know how many heat cycles your tyres have been put through? That's key.

fozzym
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent very well done! It's good to hear about a regular guy ( no offence!) going racing.

Definitely on my bucket list of things to do. I keep threatening to get my ACU licence and then I'd have no excuse Very Happy

Good luck for the next round.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:51 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing cheers mate, I do not got 5 sets of used scrubs with the bike some older tyres but still seem to be quite soft so not sure if if should run them till the done or not

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, you did good for your first meeting, better each time out. Bit different to track days isn't it but a more intense experience.
Makes you appreciate how hard it is to win even a club race, crack on and keep the reports coming.

OGR

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
Confirming what I've heard from others about being able to use tyre next weekend, if possible could you check the manufacture date on tyre for the d211 I got a set of scrubs but stamped 2010 so not sure if still useable, its usually in a circle on tyre wall will say 04/12 meaning 4th week of 2012.

37 14 was my tyre date

Old Git Racing wrote:
Well done, you did good for your first meeting, better each time out. Bit different to track days isn't it but a more intense experience.
Makes you appreciate how hard it is to win even a club race, crack on and keep the reports coming.

OGR

Thanks pal, and yes the race conditions actually drop your lap times a lot which I was shocked about. And yes, I fully appreciate how close and hard it is to be at the front, a lot of work is needed to get there. But, I can't wait to try.

fozzym wrote:
Excellent very well done! It's good to hear about a regular guy ( no offence!) going racing.

Definitely on my bucket list of things to do. I keep threatening to get my ACU licence and then I'd have no excuse Very Happy

Good luck for the next round.

No offense taken, get your ACU done pal, it's actually a great day and a bit of an eye opener with the classroom session. The race start assessment is awesome fun.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I do the marshaling for bike racing and I've always fancied being on track rather than picking up the bikes Laughing

Apart from the cost of the bike, how much do you reckon one race weekend costs you? PM me if you don't want to say publicly or not at all if its none of my business Laughing

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam_ wrote:
Excellent, I do the marshaling for bike racing and I've always fancied being on track rather than picking up the bikes Laughing

Apart from the cost of the bike, how much do you reckon one race weekend costs you? PM me if you don't want to say publicly or not at all if its none of my business Laughing

Oh cool, where a bouts do you marshal? Might see you this season Wink

And a race weekend, this is for Thundersport, so other clubs vary, it's actually not as bad as I first thought.

Race entry is £256
Testing(optional, but recommended) - £85 for half a day or 135 full
Transponder hire - £25 or buy one for £200 - £300
Fuel for bike - About 40 litres, £50
New rear tyre every round, so £160(new, pointless buying race scrubs)
A front every two(you can use a race scrub here)
Accomodation can vary, unless you can sleep in a van or have a caravan
Fuel to get to and from the track varies obviously

All this is if you don't damage anything, I found the majority of the money is setting yourself up, decent leathers, lid, gloves, back protectors, tyre warmers(as mine recently burnt out Crying or Very sad ) stands, servicing, fairings, rain light, spare sprockets(different sizes etc for different tracks), decent carbon brake pads, suspension setup for you, ACU license, CTC course, dogtags, spare wheels for wets, wet tyres, jerry cans, fire extinguisher. But, I did all this part over the winter period, so it was very spread out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:19 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, but your bike appears to be missing BCF branding? Razz

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nice work, but your bike appears to be missing BCF branding? Razz

Look at the top and rear of my lid in one of the shot above Razz Razz Razz

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:27 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that found some r10 front scrubs 10 laps £45 bargain Very Happy on the hunt for a rear and ill be good to go

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, where did you find them?

If you are after scrubs, check out motoforum.net there will be loads on there Thumbs Up

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

£256 per race? How many races a season?

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
£256 per race? How many races a season?

Sorry, per race meet, so that's 4 races. And there are 9 rounds.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:42 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when you are at brands again, If I'm free I'll come with my Camera and spend most of the day aiming at you. Wink

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great fun, but..............

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/022_zpsjxsb8pxp.jpg

.....why the long face?

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Liam_ wrote:

Oh cool, where a bouts do you marshal? Might see you this season Wink

Thanks, its food for thought if i give up road riding.
Generally i attend the meets in scotland only (Knockhill and East Fortune) but i can marshal anywhere in the UK including SBK & MotoGP if i want.
I will do some down south this year or next for sure.

i'm interested to see how you do so i'll be watching your results, good luck.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

.....why the long face?

Laughing It fits quite well with my 1:98M body Razz

Cheers Liam, let me know if you do one in England, doing Cadwell a couple of times(probably the most Northern one we're doing).

And Chris, that's the only round at Brands this year, but might be doing a trackday at Brands with 0l0dom0l0 soon, you should come join in Wink

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:51 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
nice one, where did you find them?

If you are after scrubs, check out motoforum.net there will be loads on there Thumbs Up

Trackdayriders forum, will have a look cheers Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Minty wrote:

.....why the long face?

Laughing It fits quite well with my 1:98M body Razz

Cheers Liam, let me know if you do one in England, doing Cadwell a couple of times(probably the most Northern one we're doing).

And Chris, that's the only round at Brands this year, but might be doing a trackday at Brands with 0l0dom0l0 soon, you should come join in Wink

I have been thinking about it this year. Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2