Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rain rain go away...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 21:39 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Rain rain go away... Reply with quote

Couple of snaps from my 2 hour 45 minute (19 mile) journey home tonight.

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 22:44 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the hell did all that come from? And how long?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

aRe_eSs
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:50 - 03 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew the government were expanding public transport but......amphibious buses! fair play tony!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:39 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch. Looks like the water level has already dropped in the picture under the bridge!

Don't do what I did a few years back. Came round a corner and saw a puddle. Thought "it hasn't been raining that hard, it won't be that deep" so accelerated. It was about 12" deep so the engine drew water in and hydrauliced. It did this to the head gaskets.

All the best

Keith

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:49 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6stu wrote:
Where the hell did all that come from? And how long?

I shall be the one to point you in the right direction...
It came from the sky... Yes, up there. Mr. Green Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 02:00 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Ouch. Looks like the water level has already dropped in the picture under the bridge!

Don't do what I did a few years back. Came round a corner and saw a puddle. Thought "it hasn't been raining that hard, it won't be that deep" so accelerated. It was about 12" deep so the engine drew water in and hydrauliced. It did this to the head gaskets.

All the best

Keith

Laughing Keith, i'm supprised the force of that water didnt cause you to go over the handlebars!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: Rain rain go away... Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Couple of snaps from my 2 hour 45 minute (19 mile) journey home tonight.

average speed : 7mph
It would have been quicker to jog! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it on the news last night.

There was a clip of someone riding a bike thriough about 3 feet of water, it was lapping over the petrol tank !!!
No idea how it was still running. Just this light poking out of the water.

Fortunately I'm in S London so it didn't affect me.

There were trains cancelled everywhere.
So if it's snowing, windy, leaves or rain then this coutry comes to a standstill. what next ? high pollen count has caused warped train tracks?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:27 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's deeply pathetic.

Not only does a bit of rain cause all this hassle, there were no police around to put up signs for diversions, nobody getting all the abandoned and broken down cars out the way... with all this 'ooh London's going to be hit by a major terrorist attack' crap they keep throwing at us you'd think they'd at least have plans how to direct people away from problem areas and keep 'escape routes' clear. And the floods only affected a very small part of town. Rolling Eyes

Judging by the number of dead cars sitting around, quite a lot of people need to educate themselves on how to drive through a flood too. The BMW in front of me in the second picture hit it hard enough to create a wave, and funnily rolled to a stop on the other side. Laughing

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive fast through those big puddle just for fun. I dont care about my car... Laughing

More annoying was when i started taking my bike apart outside, it was nice. About 5 minute later all hell broke loose, and i mean all hell!!!

Surprised

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:05 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feelling we missed out a bit 'up north'. Where I live we had a bit of rain but no flooding. It is amazing how easily our transport network can just grind to a halt.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 14:47 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had power cuts through all of last night and when we did have power Sky wasn't working Rolling Eyes I missed the simpsons Crying or Very sad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:46 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
Laughing Keith, i'm supprised the force of that water didnt cause you to go over the handlebars!

The handlebars were about 8 miles away as I was in the car.

All the best

Keith

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:24 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

My nan did that a year or two ago, drowning a brown Montego in the process!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy I was very proud of her that day Laughing .

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 04 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those pictures. Bet in france or somewhere they are better at dealing with their floods.

How are you supposed to go through them in a car or on a bike by the way?

I hit a massive puddle on the VFR once, filled my helmet up with water!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:47 - 05 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
How are you supposed to go through them in a car or on a bike by the way?

Slowly.

The idea is to try and avoid creating a bow wave that effectively makes the water level higher.

Petrol engines don't take too kindly to being filled with water, or rather, their electrics don't. Diesel engines can run completely submerged as long as there's still air getting in - hence the high-level intake pipes you get on serious offroaders.

When you get out the otherside, test your brakes. They don't like being submerged either and can take a bit to dry out.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the river severn flooded in shrewsbury (it floods most years) It was over a main road that runs through town. I had no choice but go through on the scooter, in the middle it was just over the foot well on the scooter.

Just as I was half way some absolute mother f*cker decided they could go through the water quicker in their car... it sent a massive wave which casued me to have to put my foot down Evil or Very Mad I tried tooting but my horn was submerged!

annndy
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 05 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be better off trading in your bike for a jetski Smile

Or even better one of these Aquada!

I saw one at the Birmingham motorshow this year drive into a lake and bomb it around. I was thinking it would just potter along but it was as fast as a real speed boat , it was unreal!

Check it out:

https://www.aquada.co.uk

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:16 - 05 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it pissed it down on us in France there actually was quite a lot of standing water on the motorways, the drainage wasn't as good as ours.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:12 - 07 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should do it.

https://www.2docstock.com/equipment/Snorkle.jpg

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1