My *new* ER5!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:12 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: My *new* ER5! Reply with quote

Hey,

Some of you may seen my thread about whether to take a free er5...well its been taken! I think I may have jumped in way too deep but for now this is my project!

https://i.imgur.com/wO4eLM0.jpg

Shocks look like they might need changing along with the chain!!

https://i.imgur.com/fS0aAeE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/d8JQXRE.jpg

This is looking a bit rusty!

https://i.imgur.com/eZMvu7A.jpg

And i'm missing the side bits that cover the radiator, and will prob need a new grill as well!

https://i.imgur.com/TJ7qprL.jpg

No time today to get the panels and tank off to have a look at the carbs but will prob have some time tomorrow.

Wish me luck! Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you pay for it?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

"Some of you may seen my thread about whether to take a free er5" Smile

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Nothing but my future time and money!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice project I must say. I kind of missed that you got it for free. Well, it's Sunday, so I'm a bit slow. Smile

There are tons of ER-5, GPZ500, KL500, EN500 and maybe other bikes, that use the same engine. So even the worst case scenario won't be much of a problem. A dream project I'd say, although I'm not a fan of twin cylinder engines. Smile

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:21 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd make a good project bike, I'm guessing it runs? So you can do some work to it, put it back together, ride it, do more work etc and see the fruits of your labour as it's going along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

finniee
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think it of this way, you might spend less fixing her up than you will on a used machine after you do your tests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

rideslikean00b wrote:
That'd make a good project bike, I'm guessing it runs? So you can do some work to it, put it back together, ride it, do more work etc and see the fruits of your labour as it's going along.

Well...the electrics are working, all the lights etc come on when the keys turned, but it hasn't been started, ticks over but won't start. I was told it was running when it went into the garage about a year ago and its never been a 'non-runner' so fingers crossed it just needs some fresh fuel and the carbs cleaned out Thumbs Up

They guy also chucked in the haynes manual for it, 2 spark plugs, a new fuel tank and a paddock stand!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting exhaust. Thumbs Up
Has the can been welded on or does the clamp do all the work?
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Interesting exhaust. Thumbs Up
Has the can been welded on or does the clamp do all the work?

Lol no clue! Guess I'll find out when I get it off to de-rust and paint Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 15 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust may be past cleaning up/repair, it's hard to tell from the pics.

But a weekend to strip that bike down, and take all the frame and cycle parts to the blaster/powercoater would save most of the original bits and make them look really good for what £100-150?

Engine, a full service out of the bike and replace all consumables, wire brush and de-greaser, then leave it somewhere warm to dry. 1-2cans of high temp engine paint would have the lump looking nice and all mechanically tip top ready to sling back in the frame.

If you want rid of that washy blue bodywork, then that is something you could take on as a project to sand/repair and prep the bodywork/tank, and then either diy the paint, or get a mate with a gun to spray it up for you.

Other than wear/tear items, brakes/tyres/chain& sprockets and service parts, it does not look like there any major damage or wallet opening required.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:48 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as stevo is right, it's an er5. Just grab exhaust from ebay, new shocks from the same and strip the carbs down and clean them. Job jobbed and a usable er5 for £100.

It won't set the world on fire. It'll be great from a 125 for a while but it is only an er5.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:39 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact theres a spare complete exhaust system for one of these in the basement, and a pair of shocks. And the rad side guard bits. Unsure on the grill, but more than likely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Exhaust may be past cleaning up/repair, it's hard to tell from the pics.

But a weekend to strip that bike down, and take all the frame and cycle parts to the blaster/powercoater would save most of the original bits and make them look really good for what £100-150?

Engine, a full service out of the bike and replace all consumables, wire brush and de-greaser, then leave it somewhere warm to dry. 1-2cans of high temp engine paint would have the lump looking nice and all mechanically tip top ready to sling back in the frame.

If you want rid of that washy blue bodywork, then that is something you could take on as a project to sand/repair and prep the bodywork/tank, and then either diy the paint, or get a mate with a gun to spray it up for you.

Other than wear/tear items, brakes/tyres/chain& sprockets and service parts, it does not look like there any major damage or wallet opening required.

As much as I would love to do all this i think it is way outside my knowledge, I took the front caliper off yesterday to get it moving easier around the garden (front brakes binding) and that's about as much as I've done on a bike past chain maint, oil and filter changes! There is no way I could give the engine a full service out of the bike.. Confused

The bodywork will def be a project though, was just going to go matte black for a simple spruce up! I have a spare tank that looks in better condition than the old one so that will be going on, but thats the same colour as the front mudguard (the original colour of the bike i think)

EDIT: I guess trying to do a bodge job in dark blue would be a better idea then, as the tank and mudguard is already done! Smile

Paddy wrote:
As much as stevo is right, it's an er5. Just grab exhaust from ebay, new shocks from the same and strip the carbs down and clean them. Job jobbed and a usable er5 for £100.

It won't set the world on fire. It'll be great from a 125 for a while but it is only an er5.

This was more what I was thinking, at the minute I'm on a 125 a 3 day course planned sometime soon to get my full licence (cbt runs out next april and I won't be renewing it!), if I can get this safely on the road and have a cheap ass first big bike then I'll be happy with it, ride it into the ground and then probably go for a hornet/bandit/etc

Last edited by orangepeeleo on 11:14 - 16 Mar 2015; edited 1 time in total

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
I know for a fact theres a spare complete exhaust system for one of these in the basement, and a pair of shocks. And the rad side guard bits. Unsure on the grill, but more than likely.

Cool, where are you? And more to the point, how much! Smile

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:17 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few quotes to insure this yesterday as well, £89 per year! Laughing

Not going to bother until its running, at the minute its covered but not chained up, was thinking of a way to secure it with my YBR but dont want to comprimise the security of my working bike to save a non-running heap, its covered but locks and chains will have to wait until payday.

I currently chain my YBR to the fencepost in my back garden, would it be a big mistake to chain it the back wheel of this bike instead?? i.e. would the ybr be more likely to get robbed if its chained to the er5 instead of the fence?

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangepeeleo wrote:
Cool, where are you? And more to the point, how much! Smile

South east, specificly Chatham.

How much? No idea, I'll ask my boss what he wants & get a quote on a courier to shift it all to you then come back with an all in price?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheManWithThe...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:02 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up having the exhaust changed, i have a set of collars (the things that hold the downpipes to the engine block) left over from when i changed mine (got 8 in the set, only need 4).

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:49 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the tanks off, job consisted of me disconnecting various hoses from the fuel tap and jamming them into a bigger hose until the tank was freed up! (got covered in about 2 litres of fuel!) managed to catch about 7 litres in various empty bottles from my brown bin though Smile

Also got the airbox off to give me more room around the carbs, they seem clean enough but think its best to get them off completely and give them a clean, have discovered that the spark plugs are an absolute bitch to get to and remove...probably why the guy who gave me it also supplied 2 new plugs still in their boxes! Smile

Found a link to this tool :

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools-hand-tools/halfords-spark-plug-wrench-12mm

In a thread about the same issue on here so will pick one of those up and give it another go soon! The space around them needs blasting with some compressed air first though as its gipping!

Will get the carbs off next and give them a clean once I've got some cash for cleaner, really hoping I can put all this back together and get it running! Its about the most mechanical thing I've ever done so far and it all seems to be going well at the minute so there may be trouble ahead!

TheManWithThe...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:26 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that tool and it works a charm for getting at the plugs

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the carbs off this last night in the dark with my phone for a torch....should have waited and took pictures lol

Currently have the tank, airbox, carbs, battery, seat and panels all in my kitchen cupboard. Will clean the carbs out and change the spark plugs this weekend, have the battery on charge just so that I can test it starts (will buy a new batt on payday), really hoping I can put all this back together again as I have neglected to take pictures or have any notes as to how it all came off!....I'm not very hopeful lol

Noob question, but wtf are the little wire clip things that look like bows and go around hoses called?? Not the ones that get screwed tight, but the ones that get kinda pinched tight...In taking all of this apart and tugging off various hoses ( Shocked Laughing ) I've noticed a lot of those need replacing!

orangepeeleo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:51 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbkmatt wrote:

I think it may have been you that posted the link to them in another thread Smile Will be picking one up in the very near future.

TheManWithThe...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:14 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangepeeleo wrote:
mbkmatt wrote:

I think it may have been you that posted the link to them in another thread Smile Will be picking one up in the very near future.

I don't recall, but if it was me, you're welcome Mr. Green Thumbs Up

The metal bow thingys aren't tube clamps by any chance are they?
https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-2001-er500-c1-er5_model15068/tube-clamp_920371972/#.VQohm47kd2I

I know mine has a couple on the pipes leading from the radiator

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:31 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust and shocks look fine to me, rub down and vht on the exhaust, same but regular paint for the shock bodies.

no visible pitting or leaks on the shocks
rust on exhaust looks to be surface only?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2