Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much difference, and what difference do fairings make?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: How much difference, and what difference do fairings make? Reply with quote

When it comes to bikes owned / ridden I'm like a catholic school girl who got married two years ago just after finishing 6th form…

The Varadero 125 was like the boyfriend I got off with and the ZZR600 the chap I've married and got into bed with - although I tend to think of my bikes as girls…

Did a few motorway hops on the Vara and done some longer runs on the ZZR, the fairing on the ZZR of course keeping some of the wind off and keeping some of the wind chill off through winter,

but how much difference does it really make?

would I notice the lack of them if I did my commute on a Street Tripple for example (mix of motorway and a bit of normal roads and lots of filtering)

Would I miss them on longer motorway runs?

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: How much difference, and what difference do fairings mak Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

Yes

Fireblade.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: How much difference, and what difference do fairings mak Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
would I notice the lack of them if I did my commute on a Street Tripple for example (mix of motorway and a bit of normal roads and lots of filtering)

Yes probably.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:36 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my foggy rose tinted memory ,I think you could do 10-15mph more on a faired bike in coldish weather before you felt as cold as on a naked.
A fairing does help but you adapt.

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my foggy rose tinted memory ,I think you could do 10-15mph more on a faired bike in coldish weather before you felt as cold as on a naked.
A fairing does help but you adapt.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: How much difference, and what difference do fairings mak Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

Yes

Fireblade.

Yes

But not my Fireblade, (with no fairings) it feels like it'll rip your arms off if you try to maintain 80 for an hour or two!

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 18 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find the fairing on the GSXR1000 I had to protect any better than the Street Triple with flyscreen. I think it feels reduced because you're leaning into it more than anything else. A double bubble may have helped though.

The GS is a couch though. On any other bike I can only deal with my visor up until about 30mph then my eyes start watering, I can go over 100 with the visor on my helmet up due to the wind protection on that thing. It's great in that respect.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer not to have the fairing. The wind blast adds to the experience and also helps keep my speed down so I get to live a bit longer.

The wind blast is not too bad without the fairing. I can easily do over 70mph for long periods. It's only when you start getting over 100mph that you get blown about.

Naked bikes look better too.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: How much difference, and what difference do fairings mak Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

but how much difference does it really make?

1. A huge amount.
2. Yes, definately.

The difference in ability between my Monster and zzr is like chalk and cheese.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is it depends how tall you are. As an experiment I tried riding the unfaired (R1200R), faired sport (R1200S) and faired touring (R1200RS) version of my bike for a road ride and motorway jot back to back, and I found that as a 6'4" bloke:

On the naked, the wind blast is evenly distributed across my head, torso and waist, so I'm constantly being pushed back into the seat of the bike.

On the faired sport bike, the wind blast hits the fairings, is directed upwards and hits me in the helmet. This actually means with the fairings I feel like I'm getting more wind at the helmet level than with a naked. But, shorter people riding the same bike told me they haven't had this problem and that the wind blast skips over them. YMMV.

On the faired touring bike the screen is so big the wind blast was greatly reduced all across my body.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolonged periods at 90+ need a screen or neck muscles. Below that, not so much. Keeping some of the rain off you is a pretty big plus though!

Twofish
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely. And not all fairings are equal.

I noticed a fairly big difference between my CBR and my F800. The CBR had a larger screen fitted too, but the F800 is designed to be a tourer so the fairings and screen work well to keep you warmer, drier and more out of the wind so you can spend much longer at speed on the motorway without:

a) your head feeling like it weighs 20st (unless you get bad turbulence Wink )
b) your thighs feeling like the chicken drumsticks you've taken out of the freezer for tea
c) losing all feeling from your first knuckle down between the months of October and April.
d) your knees being the first point of contact for ALL of the rain in your vicinity.

I've ridden an ER6-N on dual carriageway for about 10 minutes at a time in December and it was a bit like going in to the ice room in a spa where you cool down from the hot rooms and put ice cubes on your sore bits. Refreshing, but I wouldn't do it by choice. Ever. Again. So when I bought my first bike bike it had a full fairing.

If I was just riding around town or short distances then a naked would be OK, or preferably half faired like a Fazer. But we do longer trips so nothing short of a full plastic surround will do for me!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fairing on my ER6 is next to useless above 80ish, but I believe they updated it slightly after my model (2011 shape).

I bought a faired bike because I had a long motorway commute but now it only takes me ten minutes to get to work, I'm thinking naked next time.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorway speeds on a naked bike feels like beein pushed off the back.
on a fully faired bike feels like you could get off and
"push the thing faster"

as always its horses for courses ....

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 19 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

"push the thing faster"

You need to ride faster faired bikes :p

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped from a faired to unfaired bike. The difference is pretty noticeable. I started to get uncomfortable at around 120 (private road) on the naked bike it was around 80 before it got uncomfy. Adding a screen gives me another 10mph or so but it is a big difference than riding a faired bike. Head on buffeting is something that takes a bit of getting used too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare any naked to a touring bike with a fairing designed to be weather protection first and foremost the difference is frankly night and day. A well designed touring fairing will leave you with next to no windblast at all. Sportstourer fairings are a compromise, sportsbike fairings are more for aerodynamics and fashion than the rider.

In terms of winter, I'd quite happily ride something like a BMW K100LT, Pan European etc long distances. As for a Naked, I'd rather avoid having to go very far knowing the physical pain that would result.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:
I prefer not to have the fairing. The wind blast adds to the experience and also helps keep my speed down so I get to live a bit longer.

The wind blast is not too bad without the fairing. I can easily do over 70mph for long periods. It's only when you start getting over 100mph that you get blown about.

Obviously a winter long distance motorway commuter.

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 03:12 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:

Some good points IMO.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:

"push the thing faster"

You need to ride faster faired bikes :p

cannot its restricted... Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
The fairing on my ER6 is next to useless above 80ish, but I believe they updated it slightly after my model (2011 shape).

They made the screen position changeable, that's all, 3 settings. I'm only 5'11 and even on the highest setting
(which also looks a bit odd) I still get blown about. The problem is they want to keep the 'sports styling' so won't
make the screen bigger which is what needs to happen to provide any useful function.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
monkeybiker wrote:

Obviously a winter long distance motorway commuter.

I went from Derby to Ace cafe London in December and back. It didn't kill me.

My first big bike was a unfaired gs500 which I used for commuting on and was my only form of transport.

Plenty of people commute on unfaired bikes.

Of course a faired bike would be better but it is not essential. It is certainly not as difficult/painful a task as people are making it out to be.

If your only concern is getting a bike to commute on then get a faired bike.

However if a naked bike is what you want and you are relatively young/fit/healthy then it is not an issue to use it as an everyday bike.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 20 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:

I went from Derby to Ace cafe London in December and back. It didn't kill me.

My first big bike was a unfaired gs500 which I used for commuting on and was my only form of transport.

Plenty of people commute on unfaired bikes.

Of course a faired bike would be better but it is not essential. It is certainly not as difficult/painful a task as people are making it out to be.

If your only concern is getting a bike to commute on then get a faired bike.

However if a naked bike is what you want and you are relatively young/fit/healthy then it is not an issue to use it as an everyday bike.

once you are older, fatter and have more ironmongery they aren't much fun in winter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1