Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Track bike with no v5 - cat B

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:37 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Track bike with no v5 - cat B Reply with quote

Having a look at a few track prepped bikes that are on ebay and one there is advertised as no v5 as it was a cat b write off a few years back. The guy says he bought it off ebay 2 years ago and hasn't had any issues. Frame number has apparently been machined off.

Does this sound too dodgy? I've read a couple of things about police coming to track days and seizing bikes because of lack of evidence of ownership etc.

I'm torn between this one (2004 R6) or a 1997 thundercat both fairly local to me for around the same price. Both have track fairings, r6 doesn't have much else extra apart from tyres, thundercat has a few extra bits like spare rear wheel + tyres
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're torn between a 2004 R6... and a 1997 thundercat... as a track bike.... for the same price??

Get your head checked.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:22 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn up to a track day with no frame numbers, should be lols.

But no, R6 would be the best option, however you'll want one thats legit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
You're torn between a 2004 R6... and a 1997 thundercat... as a track bike.... for the same price??

Get your head checked.

Mainly cos the thundercat is legit. and same price at the moment on ebay anyway, both got a few days left

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:36 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch that R6.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:45 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

link to ad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131497158043?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got in touch with the bloke and he says the frame # has been 'crossed out with perfect crosses' rather than machined off.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:55 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza M wrote:
link to ad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131497158043?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got in touch with the bloke and he says the frame # has been 'crossed out with perfect crosses' rather than machined off.

It still has NO frame number. I'd not want to hold on to that for more than a few minutes.

Re-reading... log book registered as cat b... get it, put back on road and restamp frame

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:21 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike with no frame number is fine, race bikes are supplied without numbers sometimes. Provided you are supplied with a proof of purchase and you can identify the previous owner's proof of purchase (and take a copy for your records) then you're fine. It is not unheard of for track bikes.

However, if a frame number previously existed on the frame and was scored out or edited in anyway, avoid like the plague.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:22 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole.

Fair enough on the R6 - why not the thundercat?

I'm thinking of getting 4-5 days done this year, have done a couple so far but really don't want to throw my road bike down into the gravel. I was thinking getting something cheap but that would go round corners OK will do me for this year before getting something bigger/better further down the line. Budget-wise I'm looking at around £1k for the bike - thundercat is sitting at just under £600 at the moment.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 27 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Chundercat is heavier and softer than a proper sports bike. You will quickly want something sharper, with better brakes and less weight transfer.

Basically, get a proper 600 sports.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:05 - 28 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen pics sent over, frame number has been scratched/punched out. So avoiding as you all say.

Checking out a '98 CBR600F later - last of the steelie ones I think. Much more kosher, been converted from a road bike 5 yrs ago by the seller and looked after nicely it seems. Anything specific to watch out for other than the obvious?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 29 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza M wrote:
Checking out a '98 CBR600F later - last of the steelie ones I think.

You seem determined to go for a rather lardy track bike.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 29 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want it for really, racing it would be useless, as they check the frame and engine numbers every race meet.

Trackdays, I have never had a check done on my bike...EVER, only noise testing.

I would still give that R6 a miss as the frame number and no log book sounds too dodgy, one or the other could be feasible, but not both.

Run a mile from that pal!!!!

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 06 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131497158043?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just up the road from me if you want someone to pop and look.

qfm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:21 - 04 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza M wrote:
Just seen pics sent over, frame number has been scratched/punched out. So avoiding as you all say.

Checking out a '98 CBR600F later - last of the steelie ones I think. Much more kosher, been converted from a road bike 5 yrs ago by the seller and looked after nicely it seems. Anything specific to watch out for other than the obvious?

Steelies are cracking track bike and they have there own race series..

i have owned two and loved them... and they are far from lardy... sure they wont keep up with a new R6, but for a good cheap fun track day bike you can't go wrong.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 04 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
A Chundercat is heavier and softer than a proper sports bike. You will quickly want something sharper, with better brakes and less weight transfer.

Yeah - that's what Shane Byrne probably said when racing one to 6th place in the British Supersport championship.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 04 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Yeah - that's what Shane Byrne probably said when racing one to 6th place in the British Supersport championship.

In 1998, racing against similarly lardy bikes...

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 04 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
weasley wrote:

In 1998, racing against similarly lardy bikes...

But back then they were the only supersport track bikes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can still see the figures behind the crosses on the frame number, I'd be happy with that.

Too late now, it seems.

A stock R6 does pretty well on track; not so much for a stock thundercat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1