Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

5000 miles in 5 months on an Honda MTX50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

15ellerayn
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: 5000 miles in 5 months on an Honda MTX50 Reply with quote

so I finally got it on the road my 1984 Honda mtx50 and I use it everyday. Started out beautiful 1000 miles in the first month or so then disaster. One of the small circlips that holds the gudgeon pin in shoots up and out of the piston and she dies of course I didn't know this was the situation at the time so I pulled in the clutch crunched it down a few gears and let it out again and by some mirical it worked ! For another mile at least then the back wheel locked up. I got it back to the workshop and put my other engine in which I would keep in for 100 miles while the other was rebuilt the engine change had to be done that night so I could get to school for my exam the next day. Why didn't I keep the spare engine in? It was horrendously slow compared to the 6 speed which did nearly 50 if you believe the speedometer the 5 speed did more like 35. Anyway a 1000 miles later I stacked it...there's a pattern here. Lost the front wheel in heavy rain. The visible damage was an indicator (virtually a candle in a jar on a 6 volt) and a smashed mirror I got off lucky I thought until I went to start it and the engine had seized....11 o'clock at night and 6 miles from home I put it in first and pulled in the clutch I began to run with the bike and popped the clutch out thankfully it unsized and got me home....but once again it was back to the slower UK spec engine but this time I put the reed block from a Honda H100 in and a slightly bigger jet and the result was a 70cc that did 58 mph if you believe the speedo...which isn't breaking any records but for a 31 year old Honda 70cc it's not bad and 3000 miles later she's still going strong. The next story came at around 5am When I thought it would be a good idea to learn the busy college route while the roads where quiet....this was dumb. At the furthest possible point from home I got a flat front tyre...13 miles from home I went to BP and got a can of flat mate praying it would work but foam poured out of the Seam all around the tyre the BP cashier looked out of the window at the foamy mess on the floor looking less than impressed. With no other option I proceeded to stuff newspaper into the tyre which got me about a mile closer to home before it unwravelled and shot out at the morning traffic behind me...(sorry guys) with all my options exhausted I just rode on a flat (remember this is a knobbly tyre) 25mph all the way home and a new inner tube later all good. The tyre wasn't even shot it could've been used again but I decided to stick a different one on for peace of mind. That brings us to now. With a new metzler road tyre on the rear (it's an me22) which provides amazing grip in all conditions. I'm awaiting a contiescape front tyre with road tread. It's also had a respray in gloss black since my painting skills improved. What do you think ? Have I been unlucky ? Tell me your horror stories? Have you had an MTX50 ? If so what was your experience like ? Thanks for reading

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked kin ell! that`s some post!

Yer I had a MT5 in my yoof..... good little ped.
Thought nothing of riding from West London to Brighton or Southend at the weekend on it Smile ahh happy days.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

PICS! Thumbs Up

I have an MT5 in the garage, love it to bits and I really fancy an MTX80 at some point in my life, if I can ever get my hands on one.

Never had any problems with it, but I've only done about 5000 miles in 5 years on her... Laughing My plan is to build her into an unrideable super-ped but I need to find space to strip her down now.

My MT5 does about 40-45mph, so not too shabby. Are you letting it warm up properly before revving the knackers off it? Could be that causing engine faults, possibly not though, more likely cheap chinese ebay clones of engine spares, am I right? Wink

A couple of things:
1, If you can help it, don't sell it, you will miss it, and it will go up in value in the future, probably.

2, Try putting some paragraphs in dude, it makes it a lot easier to read. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy wall of Teft Batman!

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

15ellerayn
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 30 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always let her warm up for 5 mins before I leave then I'll keep the revs below 6k for 2-3 miles before opening up. I believe the circlip failure was due to eBay parts but it's so difficult to find realistically priced Honda ones. It's good to hear that those of you who have had a bike with the same engine have had good reliability. only 5-7 mtx50s on the road today. As for pictures I'm using my phone and bcf won't let me upload them normally Sad by the way the reason mine will do 50+ (though I rarely take it more than 40) is due to the larger ported manifold and bigger reed block currently running a 14t on the front

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

15ellerayn wrote:
Always let her warm up for 5 mins before I leave then I'll keep the revs below 6k for 2-3 miles before opening up. I believe the circlip failure was due to eBay parts but it's so difficult to find realistically priced Honda ones. It's good to hear that those of you who have had a bike with the same engine have had good reliability. only 5-7 mtx50s on the road today. As for pictures I'm using my phone and bcf won't let me upload them normally Sad by the way the reason mine will do 50+ (though I rarely take it more than 40) is due to the larger ported manifold and bigger reed block currently running a 14t on the front

nice bike dont sell

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 03 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's determination and there's determination.......I like that A1+. Thumbs Up

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:04 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Honda MT50 Reply with quote

My first 'new' bike was a Honda MT50, bought brand spanking new in 1980.

Never failed me and like previuos posters used to travel from West London to places such as Littlehampton, Rustington, Chichester, Selsey etc.

Fond memories.

Alex

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 04 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op please edit post and add space. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1