Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Toy - ZX12R now with post Eurojolly update.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: New Toy - ZX12R now with post Eurojolly update. Reply with quote

Picked this up last night - '05 ZX12R with 10k on the clock. Nice ride home through the Cotswolds via Stow On The Wold.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/WP_20150617_11_30_14_Pro_zpsvnvyysgx.jpg

It's a lovely colour in the flesh, silver with a tinge of blue.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/WP_20150617_11_30_53_Pro_zpswih6dldq.jpg

Ram Air duct at the front swallows animals and small children whole.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/WP_20150617_11_29_45_Pro_zpsails0blq.jpg

No space for the wife = win.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/WP_20150617_11_30_31_Pro_zpsqyebjmom.jpg

200 wide rear tyre nicely balanced by the behemoth standard can.

If you want it to be, it's surprisingly docile pottering along. No problem at all doing the little traffic rammed villages on the way home. Out on the A and B roads the gearbox is largely redundant, just pick a gear and go. Give it some and it certainly shifts.

Feels very planted, probably due to the weight, but that 200 tyre makes dropping it into corners on the proper twisties interesting. Other than that is has confidence inspiring handling and reminds me a bit of my old ZX7R.

It has already beaten up my FZ6 and stolen it's lunch money.

Last edited by Matt B on 18:50 - 10 Aug 2015; edited 1 time in total

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bike. If I was to buy another sports bike, it would be a ZX-12R. You did manage to get quite a late model though, what is the ECU in these like compared to the older A1s?

Really nice and unusual colour as well, don't see many silver bikes. The can needs to go though, it looks like someone stuck an oil drum to the side of your bike.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike Drooling

How much did you pay for it?

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks stunning Thumbs Up

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got wings.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact changes they made to the mapping on the later ones, but it was done in conjunction with different shaped throttle bodies for improved low end.

I've never ridden an older model but this one is certainly smooth enough and has plenty of low end grunt.

I like the can, it makes a statement and I'm going to leave it standard for now. Plus it has 'Titanium' etched onto it.

Paid three and a half for it and I reckon that was fair. Looked at some much higher mileage tatty examples with patchy history for much more.

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:11 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always fancied one. Are they really as thirsty as the reviews make them out to be?

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to come over to me and meet my garage neighbour, he has a '12. His is the black (actually really very dark metallic blue I believe) and gold one. He's tricked that one up a bit.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black and gold ones are nice Thumbs Up

Fuel - don't know yet, haven't done enough miles. Bimbled back about 60 miles following the wife and would guess it did about 40mpg.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, sorry about big pic. Photobucket has the ghey and won't resize right now.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/Bike/ZX12-R_zps14185cdb.jpeg~original

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a massive amount of bike for the moolah. Quite a good looking bike too, but I'm not a huge fan of the smashed duck face that pervades the current design rooms.

Did the bike actually get used? It really does look new.

Congratulations on your new weapon! Thumbs Up

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/Bike/ZX12-R_zps14185cdb.jpeg~original

That's my favourite colour. If I was getting one of those that would be the one.

I also like the front brake caliper upgrade. Those standard Tokicos are really not great.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:

Ooh, I like that!

I've considered these myself, would be nice to hear a bit more about it when you've had more chance to assess it Matt. Enjoy.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

He keeps threatening to sell it. He had it up for about 3, but changed his mind. He's had it for a few years. Wheels it out cleans it puts it back. Rarely gets ridden, mostly sorn'd. Just had ZZR wheels powder coated and fitted I think (not those pictured). He is always adding something to it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:
He keeps threatening to sell it. He had it up for about 3, but changed his mind. He's had it for a few years. Wheels it out cleans it puts it back. Rarely gets ridden, mostly sorn'd. Just had ZZR wheels powder coated and fitted I think (not those pictured). He is always adding something to it.

If I hadn't just sorted myself another bike, I reckon I'd be interested in that. Looks nicely done, very striking in the black and gold. Might give me a couple of ideas for a paint job on mine even. I did nearly buy a cat C one at one time, can't remember what it was that put me off.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look very nice both in the silvery blue, and in the black gold JPS style!

They are from some angles very good looking for a hypersports tourer, but I like the looks of the Bird almost as much.

Were the early one's offered in a wine red metallic?

I seem to remember seeing one parked at Bewdley where the bikes used to line up by the river. The bloke used to have a very modified and personalised ZX7R, but changed to a red ZX12R. It had a full system on it even back then, and also a flip up rear numberplate. (proper 90's biking accessory was that!)

The bloke talked about getting a 1400cc big bore kit for it too, but I can't remember which tuner he said it would be done by.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Jun 2015    Post subject: Re: New Toy - ZX12R Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Ram Air duct at the front swallows animals and small children whole.

Stick behind Matt on the EuroJolly and you might inhale free tank bag Thumbs Up

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 20 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Were the early one's offered in a wine red metallic?

Up to 2002 I think.

The Blackbird has a smoother look to it, and a smoother engine. Had a Bird out from a dealer yesterday and really liked it. The 12R is much more raw by comparison.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 23:57 - 21 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know there is a seat under the cowl don't you? Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 22 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice example you have got there Matt, cool you kept the original titanium exhaust system. Quite a lot of people put there some ugly cheap crap on it, sorry wots. Smile

*If it was green, I'd jizz on my screen.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 23 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrod wrote:
You do know there is a seat under the cowl don't you? Smile

I know that, the wife doesn't!

Rhyno - I do like the exhaust and I'm going to keep the whole thing as standard as possible. The only thing I'm changing is an MRA double bubble screen that's on order with a graduated tint.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So having covered some miles, including the Eurojolly, I though I would update this with my thoughts on the bike after nearly 2 months.

The ZX12 did around 2500 miles down to Italy and back without missing a beat, not a single issue. It used no oil, was not particularly bothered by sitting in traffic whilst the temperature hit 40 degrees, did not care about thin air up in the Alps and has not even needed the chain adjusting. It was, in a word, faultless.

It does some things very well. Miles are munched with very little effort, cruising at 100mph+ feels easy with very little wind blast. This was definitely helped by the MRA double bubble screen I fitted. Speed (rather obviously) is effortless, rolling on the throttle never gets dull. It feels at home on sweeping A roads and feels a lot lighter that it really is (240kg wet), I find it surprisingly easy to ride for such a heavy lump. The bike is big and roomy with a comfy seat, even my 6' frame is not cramped up on it. There is a cavernous storage area under the pillion pad that I carried tools, first aid kit, chain lube and chain & padlock in for the trip.

Some things it does not do so well. It is a thirsty beast which is probably averaging about 36-38 mpg in real life riding. Blasts on the Autobahn were expensive and even pottering around I don't think it would top 45 mpg. Twisties are not it's friend. Found myself getting caught out a few times and starting to drift too wide. It drops in OK but needs a big effort to get round the tighter stuff, probably not helped by the 200 wide rear tyre. I'm going to get a 190 on it when it needs replacing. Stopping can be a sphincter clenching experience, there is a lot of bike to slow down.

Despite trying I could not top it out on the German Autobahns. Every time I got over 160 there would be a feckin BMW in the way which meant backing off. I reckon it is good for 180+ though.

Conclusions - it is definitely a sports tourer and it does that job really well, not something I would want to take on a track day though. I was wary of taking it round Europe but it did a great job. I'm glad I got it, the ZX12 is an easy bike to ride that puts a smile on my face every time I take it out. A good buy all round considering how little money they can be picked up for.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:58 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thumbs Up

Mate of mine has one in same colour. Really does look good in flesh. He's upgraded the brakes on his as apparently they're a weak spot - might be worth looking on the owners forum as I understand it's a common and easy upgrade.

The twisties on the bigger heavier bikes is what I struggle with on the sprint. Last year's Wales trip I was fine on the sweeping bends but up and down the mountainside was a bit clinging on for dear life

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I serviced the brakes as soon as I got it, all the pots work and nothing sticks. It stops fine but needs a handful of lever to haul it down rather than just a couple of fingers. It will not be getting stubby levers.

I do think it would benefit from different pads. At the moment they are EBC which I find wooden with not much initial bite and that doesn't help. Going to try some SBS Sintered in there because I think they feel nicer.

Strangely, on the really twisty Stelvio Pass it coped fine, but that was more steering round a series of u-turns than anything else Very Happy

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/stelvio_zpsthtxs5yd.jpg

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attach a drag chute, job jobbed! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1