BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My MT-07

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:04 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: My MT-07 Reply with quote

So I finally passed my A2 and bought my new best friend a week or so ago. Since then I've been having some of the most fun in my life, to date. I know a lot of the members on here don't appreciate modding a bike to high heaven, especially purely cosmetic bits but I personally couldn't be happier and have to share it with someone! Thumbs Up

Will update this post when I make more progress Very Happy

Fitted so far:
DPM Screen
Highsider Barends and Highsider Mirrors
R+G Frame Sliders
Ermax Side Scoops
ebay Bulldog Radiator Guard

Coming up next:
Zard Exhaust (possibly a PC if it needs re-mapping - awaiting advice from dealer)
Ermax belly pan / hugger / tail tidy / seat cowl
HID
R+G Pillion blanking plates
R+G Spindle sliders and fork sliders
R+G Engine Cover
ebay Shorty Levers
Rizoma brake fluid cap

Future plans:
Some sort of phone/GPS mount undecided as of yet
Getting the long silver plate next to rearsets powder coated black (unsure of name)
New suspension - looking for suggestions. I've heard very good things about Maxton cartridges but they are crazy expensive!
Possibly a new seat as the stock one gets quite uncomfortable on long rides

Only image that doesn't distort is the below, got a few more angles in this album https://imgur.com/a/AnscH#UWfLEDC

https://i.imgur.com/UWfLEDC.jpg?1

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "upgrades" are obviously for you. I like the colour but I prefer more standard look. It's an interesting bike nevertheless. I definitely need to book a test ride on one of those.
MT-09 and Street Triple are high on my list too (as a matter of fact I'm having a test ride on a Street Triple tomorrow).

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:56 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already accumulating a bit of a cult following, akin to the striple. I absolutely love it, incredibly easy to ride - far easier than my old 125 even! As soon as you turn the throttle it's impossible to keep a straight face.. I'm sure it's the same for most bikes but apparently the novelty doesn't wear off on this so yeah thoroughly recommend a test ride at least!

Heard the same things about the 09 except a few niggles about twitchy throttle. Apparently they've fixed that with a new map on the 2015 model though.

Good luck tomorrow Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:09 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:
MT-09 and Street Triple are high on my list too (as a matter of fact I'm having a test ride on a Street Triple tomorrow).

Good choice, nice bike.

Sorry, just pre-empting the fact you'll buy it there and then. Wink\

Nice bike nonetheless. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to hear another opinion on someone who has or will ride a 09 and a street

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:00 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
I'll be interested to hear another opinion on someone who has or will ride a 09 and a street

I'll be trying an 09, you are welcome to try and rag my triple for testing purposes Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:54 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 09 since it was new in march I previously had an 08 Fazer I've now done 2700 miles on the 09 and find it is a great bike.

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Supermoto_Fan wrote:

I'll be trying an 09, you are welcome to try and rag my triple for testing purposes Wink

When and where? Wink

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 26 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
mJZ wrote:

Good choice, nice bike.

Sorry, just pre-empting the fact you'll buy it there and then. Wink\

Nice bike nonetheless. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I want to try quite a few bikes first before any decision is made Wink
I'm not sure what type of bike I really want. I'd like to try:

Triumph Street Triple
Yamaha MT-07
Yamaha MT-09
Ducati Scrambler
KTM RC390 Embarassed

EDIT: I booked a test ride on RC390 too, not this week though. I quite like the look of it and I really think it would be sensible to get something slower for the road. But i fear it may be too slow. I won't know if I don't try it.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 27 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally test ridden a Triumph Street Triple. Everybody is on about how much fun this bike is to ride. I felt.. underwhelmed, I suppose my expectations were too high.

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/motorcyclesJZ/Random2/DSC_0056_zpsauzexh2m.jpg

I think I'll test ride a Yamaha MT-09, and forget about MT-07. I was finding ST underpowered Crying or Very sad

Good mid range get you excited but then from 9k to the limiter it felt like something was missing.
Mirrors vibrate so much that you see only a blur of what's behind you lol
Wind at above 80-90mph (on private road) can be tiring if riding like that for a long time can be a problem. Not ideal for long motorway journeys.
On more positive note your driving licence is safe when it comes to speeding offences.
The front is light under acceleration so you will more likely get dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention instead.
I loved it around town, very nimble.
Twisties were fun too as long as I kept the speeds within two digits.
Brakes were sufficient.

I can understand why people like it, but I don't think it's for me.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with everythig you said there Laughing

It's far less linear than a fireblade, I assume you didn't ride it properly as it's a dealer bike but from day one I've had it screaming everywhere as it's mine and if I drop it, oh well!

I assume it would be a similar feeling to you riding my bike and me riding yours. I'd be cautious and not aiming to far about doing wheelies and doing top speed runs...

Buy one as a second bike Wink

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 27 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am careful with bikes that are not mine, so obviously I was not pushing it. But I tried it well enough.

Power delivery in Street Triple felt a bit like this ∩ It feels good in mid range, but disappoints at the top-end. If ST had a bit more to offer at the top-end and some 15bhp more I would probably love it.

Now I wonder what the MT-09 feels like. It's got a bit more bhp.

The Triumph dealer suggested a test ride on their Speed Triple, but I didn't have time for another test ride today. Also it cost quite a bit more for same reg year.

I had my Drift Ghost on during my test ride but a massive fly splashed in the middle of the lens sadly lol

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:

Power delivery in Street Triple felt a bit like this ∩ It feels good in mid range, but disappoints at the top-end. If ST had a bit more to offer at the top-end and some 15bhp more I would probably love it.

Now I wonder what the MT-09 feels like. It's got a bit more bhp.

I've said the same thing, but thought that possibly by 6ft2 frame and 16st was more of the issue Smile (of course it is an issue).

I borrowed a Daytona for a few hours and the engine felt like it could breathe in comparison, it just didn't feel so restricted. But I still preferred the ST as overall it felt more fun.

EDIT: nuts, had a dyno pic, wrong one.

Perhaps the biggest thing I love about the ST is it's size/weight. It's tiny, and I love it's quick change of direction and late breaking. Absolutely have a ball in the twisties, which you briefly referred too.
Reason I'm mentioning it, is I'm intrigued, was it not significantly / noticeably light handling compared to your other bikes?

Definitely want to hear your thoughts on the MT09 and in particular the 390. Thumbs Up

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

I've said the same thing, but thought that possibly by 6ft2 frame and 16st was more of the issue Smile (of course it is an issue).

I borrowed a Daytona for a few hours and the engine felt like it could breathe in comparison, it just didn't feel so restricted. But I still preferred the ST as overall it felt more fun.

I haven't tried a Daytona, maybe I'll test ride it and see, but when I sat on one it felt really small even though I'm not very tall - 5ft11. The Street Triple is comfy, if only it had some good wind protection I would happily ride it all day long.

Pigeon wrote:

Perhaps the biggest thing I love about the ST is it's size/weight. It's tiny, and I love it's quick change of direction and late breaking. Absolutely have a ball in the twisties, which you briefly referred too.
Reason I'm mentioning it, is I'm intrigued, was it not significantly / noticeably light handling compared to your other bikes?

I haven't had that many bikes.
-My Aprilia RS125 was ultra light in comparison Wink
-My two pre-2003 ZX6R were heavier, big in size, standard brakes rather poor not inspiring late braking, power was satisfactory at the time, especially the J2. The Street Triple is way better in this department. Completely different league.
-The Fireblade is heavier than Street Triple but it doesn't really feel like it is heavy. It dives into corners without effort compared to my latest ZX6R J2. Around town it's fine, just.

Where I noticed a light handling of Street Triple was at lower speeds, especially riding around town I was finding much more enjoyable than on the Fireblade.

Pigeon wrote:

Definitely want to hear your thoughts on the MT09 and in particular the 390. Thumbs Up

After today's test ride I'm starting to think that a test ride on a RC390 will be a waste of time Razz

Last edited by Musketeer on 22:38 - 29 Jun 2015; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for people not liking the triple Laughing The problem I have is of all the bikes I've ridden, this one aside from top end speed has come out at numero uno for me.

I am tempted by the MT09 and will enquire at the dealer, I don't care about crashing theirs so will give it stick Shocked

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for people not liking the triple Laughing The problem I have is of all the bikes I've ridden, this one aside from top end speed has come out at numero uno for me.

I am tempted by the MT09 and will enquire at the dealer, I don't care about crashing theirs so will give it stick Shocked

I suppose people like different things. However, saying that I dislike the Street Triple is incorrect. I was underwhelmed, yes.

I think it's a nice bike, I liked it in many ways - its handling, weight, even the looks, how easy and effortless to ride it is, the seat was comfy, riding ergonomics relaxing except for high speeds.

I can forgive it the vibrations and blurry mirrors, not such a big issue so I'm neutral on that.

The lack of the top-end power was quite an issue for me. It often made me feel like being in the wrong gear. I was expecting that extra power surge after getting excited through the mid range but the Street Triple was already out of puff there, instead of awaited power surge I had to shift up Crying or Very sad

The MT-09 has got a bit bigger engine and more power and torque, so I want to test ride it hopefully soon.

Oh and...
https://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/supercopone/Hijacked.jpg
Sorry about that

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:34 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:

Haha not at all, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.. It's all relevant!

I've been oggling bigger bikes before I even got this one, and the 09 and ST are very high on my list Very Happy Don't think any of them are going to top the MV Augusta Brutale Dragster RR though, that's the dream.

And with today's finance options its actually achievable Cool

Oh and I would bet everything I own and more that you wouldn't be underwhelmed by that Wink

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/mv-agusta-brutale-dragster-800-rr/2015-MV-Agusta-Brutale-Dragster-800-RR-21.jpg

Last edited by CVSensei on 11:43 - 28 Jun 2015; edited 1 time in total

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOT in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and tell me what you think about tbe MT09 Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:18 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOT all the time unless puss is. Just sayin' Wink

Nah I'm gonna call dealer tomorrow and books me an mt09. If it'd any good and they throw in some sick shit and I get a few hundreds off....who knows.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:
I suppose people like different things. However, saying that I dislike the Street Triple is incorrect. I was underwhelmed, yes.

I tend to agree. My impressions of riding the Street Triple were that it had a brilliant chassis (much better than the MT-09, or the Speed Triple for that matter), but the engine was underpowered by at least 20bhp. The flip side of that is that you can ride it at full throttle much of the time without worrying too much about traction. It's a doddle to ride, and I found it to be good fun on twisty roads (the roads on your test ride video would be dull on any bike!).

But it's a budget bike, and it pales in comparison to big bore performance naked bikes (e.g. Ducati Streetfighter 1100, KTM Superduke, Aprilia V4 Tuono), both for fun and performance IMO. At 6'1", I also found the Street too small.

The MT-09 is a different bike. It's not derived from a race bike and you can tell. The engine is stronger, but the suspension was too soft for me.

If I was in the market for a new middleweight naked triple, then at £7,499, the MV Agusta Brutale 800 would be a no brainer.

Last edited by Alex A on 13:24 - 28 Jun 2015; edited 1 time in total

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
If I was in the market for a new middleweight naked triple, then the MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800 RR would be top of my list by a long way.

FTFY Wink

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bling for my liking, and even the standard Dragster 800 costs £11k from the same dealership. £3,500 more than the Brutale, which is basically the same bike.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
It's a doddle to ride, and I found it to be good fun on twisty roads (the roads on your test ride would be dull on any bike!).

Northamptonshire is not famous for its twisty roads sadly. Not much choice, you just need to pick some roads near where the dealer is. Ideally I would like to do test rides in North Wales.

Alex A wrote:

If I was in the market for a new middleweight naked triple, then at £7,499, the MV Agusta Brutale 800 would be a no brainer.

Interesting Thumbs Up A bit exotic. What about reliability, parts availability, dealerships etc.?

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. They're imported by MotoGB, which owns 10 or so dealerships in the North West, so they're fairly well supported locally. But, I haven't seen many 'in the wild' or spoken with owners about reliability.

Daimler (Merc) bought a 25% stake in MV last year, which is promising for long term support.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate, if that's the kind of bike I was after.

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Too bling for my liking, and even the standard Dragster 800 costs £11k from the same dealership. £3,500 more than the Brutale, which is basically the same bike.

Completely understand the styling being too much for some people and obviously the price tag is painful but they are hardly the same bike!

mJZ wrote:
A bit exotic. What about reliability, parts availability, dealerships etc.?

Used to be a serious problem but MV are starting to dramatically increase their dealer network and general reliability after partnering with Mercedes-AMG.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2