Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVSensei wrote:
they are hardly the same bike!

Between the stock Brutale 800 and the Dragstar RR, you have the same chassis, same engine, same bore/stroke, same exhaust, same brakes, same suspension, same weight (+-1kg), same wheelbase, same rake/trail, and the same gearing. *All checked on the tech sheets available on the MV website.

The wheels are different, and the styling is different. And the RR versions of both bikes are rated at 140bhp rather than 125bhp, have quick shift/blipper for shifting down, and have a slipper clutch.

I'd say they're pretty much the same bike.

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:54 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Between the stock Brutale 800 and the Dragstar RR, you have the same chassis, same engine, same bore/stroke, same exhaust, same brakes, same suspension, same weight (+-1kg), same wheelbase, same gearing. *All checked on the tech sheets available on the MV website

The wheels are different, and the styling is different. And the RR versions of both bikes are rated at 140bhp rather than 125bhp.

I'd say they're pretty much the same bike.

Upon further inspection they are more similar than I remembered so I stand corrected Rolling Eyes However they have changed bits around that reportedly make a big difference in ride quality like the quick shifter and slipper clutch.

Quote:
MV have upped the triple’s performance from 125bhp to 140bhp by increasing the size of the air-box, improving the exhaust flow but more importantly revising the fuelling, which now with two twin injectors per cylinder. They’ve also tried to smooth out the power delivery amd make the torque more linear, which was a criticism of the old bike and they’ve done just that.

The old 800 had bags of attitude but was hard work and aggressive. But this engine is a peach. - MCN

I personally would rather get this over the Brutale and eat noodles for the rest of my life but that's probably something to do with my problem of feeling like I can't settle for anything other than the best. Laughing

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVSensei wrote:
I personally would rather get this over the Brutale and eat noodles for the rest of my life but that's probably something to do with my problem of feeling like I can't settle for anything other than the best. Laughing

As above, the improvements with power/fuelling/slipper clutch/quickshift also apply to the Brutale RR, which is still a couple of grand cheaper than the Dragstar RR.

Personally, I'd put up with the compromise and buy the standard Brutale 800 at just £7500. Fuelling can usually be fixed fairly cheaply with a power commander/decat and if necessary, airbox mod.

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
As above, the improvements with power/fuelling/slipper clutch/quickshift also apply to the Brutale RR, which is still a couple of grand cheaper than the Dragstar RR.

Personally, I'd put up with the compromise and buy the standard Brutale 800 at just £7500. Fuelling can usually be fixed fairly cheaply with a power commander/decat and if necessary, airbox mod.

Buying all of those parts will add up to a significant price though, if you are including labor costs as well it's going to be a sizeable sum.

At which point it comes down to paying for the styling of the bike, extra HP, the 200 tyre and the RR badge of pride (or little willy syndrome in some cases).

If I had the disposable income I would definitely go for it.

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who has a 800RR With the spoked white wheels - too blingy and too expensive!

The MT09 is not without it's flaws but not alot of bikes are perfect!

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:16 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
I know someone who has a 800RR With the spoked white wheels - too blingy and too expensive!

The MT09 is not without it's flaws but not alot of bikes are perfect!

I don't like that colour scheme, the black one however makes me weak at the knees. I'm glad people have different tastes, would be a boring life if not!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Nah I'm gonna call dealer tomorrow and books me an mt09. If it'd any good and they throw in some sick shit and I get a few hundreds off....who knows.

Very interested in how you get on Thumbs Up

Triumph might be crapping their pants about now, as their chief promoter of the 675 could be defecting to 847 Smile

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your aware the suspension on the demo has probably not been adjusted to get the best out of a average package. PM me if you want the best settings Thumbs Up

It makes a big difference

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite happy with standard suspension settings on the Street Triple. I wouldn't change anything.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:01 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give suspension a fiddle anyway. Last bike I borrowed got tickled under the covers until I felt safe Laughing joys of 4-5 hour test rides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 28 Jun 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJZ i was referring to the MT

Paddy yes, this is a must! Where you gonna get one from?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2