Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

taking a YBR250 onto the motorway?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:58 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: taking a YBR250 onto the motorway? Reply with quote

I've been riding my YBR250 for just under a year. It's pretty good for short stretches near the national speed limit (my daily route goes up to 50 mph from Romford to Old Street in London, and sometimes I've been able to get around 70 on dual carriageways). I'm tempted to go on a trip to the Cotswolds from Romford but I'm not sure if that little machine would be as good for long motorway trips? I don't have experience with long distance trips. What sorts of possible problems etc should I be aware of (discomfort from riding long distances, small bikes being caught in the wind more easily/less stable, etc)?

Seb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:17 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine, I've been on 125's on the motorway more than once, they're not fun, but they're not into the realms of dangerous either as long as you keep to the left hand lane.

A 250 won't be an issue.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As c-dug says........stick in the texting lane and you'll be fine.....and you'll still be catching others up.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:13 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used my YBR125 for courier work including regular hacks up and down the M20 into London I suspect you'll be fine.

Also, if it only does 70 then it's probably broken in some way. The 125 would hold that happily all day on the flat, increasing to 80 down a big hill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SH300 hits the limiter at around 80mph (per GPS, a smidgen over 90 on the clocks; variator is tuned for city acceleration), and is good for the occasional overtake on the motorway. I've taken it from London to Galway via Wales, and around the top of Scotland twice.

You'll probably see an improvement on fuel efficiency too, especially if you aren't absolutely full throttle all the time, and cruise at 70 per clocks. Wind blast on a YBR will probably be a bigger factor in making you want to go a bit slower.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be a problem. If you get hit by strong winds then cling onto the tank with your legs and relax your arms. Try to stay calm. If you do get tired then stop off at the services. Staying calm and relaxed on the bike should help because if you tense up this will tire you quicker.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed my YBR250 can go above 70 if I wanted, but as mentioned the wind blast makes it too uncomfortable--especially as I used to be on 125s only and I'm not that used to high speeds. Thanks for the tips everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:12 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo previous posts, I've taken my YBR125 on the motorway lots of times.

It's probably not great for the engine, since it's flat-out and screaming at 70mph, but it doesn't feel dangerous.

I don't really mind the wind blast either, I'm used to it now Laughing

Just check your blind spots Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 19 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of cars out there that don't sit comfortably at 70 dousent stop people taking them on motorways. So I wouldent worry about being on a 250.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: taking a YBR250 onto the motorway? Reply with quote

czakal wrote:
I've been riding my YBR250 for just under a year. I'm tempted to go on a trip to the Cotswolds Seb

DO IT !

Timfy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:19 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine. Smile

My old (full power) NSR125 was absolutely fine (fairly comfy, too!) so don't see an issue with a 250. Do expect to be blown around a little though.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:34 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a screen and the journey will be a lot more pleasant. Airblade make a very good universal screen which I've used on a few bikes - only £45 from Busters. Well worth the money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airblade-Universal-Tinted-Custom-Motorcycle-Screen-Blade-Inc-Kit-7-8-or-1-Fit-/351491040773?hash=item51d67fa605

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:12 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timfy wrote:
You'll be fine. Smile

My old (full power) NSR125 was absolutely fine (fairly comfy, too!) so don't see an issue with a 250. Do expect to be blown around a little though.

The YBR250 makes less power, has more weight and is less aerodynamic.

Saying that, I'd still use one on the motorway.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:15 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my YBR125 on motorways and busy A road dual carriageway loads of times - it'll hold 60 fine even with my fat ass on it and will pop up to 70 in the right circumstances.

A 250 would be fine I'm sure

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillrollin wrote:
Plenty of cars out there that don't sit comfortably at 70 dousent stop people taking them on motorways.

Lets see a list of these cars that can't maintain a steady 70 then?
Idiot.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 28 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Stillrollin wrote:
Plenty of cars out there that don't sit comfortably at 70 dousent stop people taking them on motorways.

Lets see a list of these cars that can't maintain a steady 70 then?
Idiot.

Not really that idiotic.

I've driven a couple of little 1 litre cars that with a few passengers in them wouldn't hold 70 up a hill. There's quite a few small vans that don't do so well either under the same circumstances.

Worst one was having a MK3 1.1 fiesta - you'd be back to third and 55 on a decent hill, foot flat

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 15:08 - 18 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a lot of cars that can do 70, that will also sit doing 50-60 as well! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1