Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How often do you get the urge to change bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: How often do you get the urge to change bikes? Reply with quote

Passed my full test 11 months ago and so far I'm on my 5th bike since then, already getting an urge to look out for a 6th.

Does anyone else get the urge to change often? I find that I get bored of -or normalised to- the bikes I've had really easily. It seems that any negative points totally throw me off the bike and make me want to change it for something that will solve the problem.

I'm not sure how to stick with something for any length of time without wanting to change it. I've got a good bit of money coming in the next few months and would love to buy a brand new bike, but I haven't put money down on anything, because I'm worried that I'll get fed up of it within a few months and lose a fortune shifting it on.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every time that Ducati guy brings out a new superbike. Smile

On a less glib tone:

I have a couple reasonable able bikes so want is not a factor.
I did look thoughtfully at an HP4 last summer but to trade in was silly. (Was being raped by dealer, surprise)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I joined forum Sept 2005 and 10 bikes since then. So at least once a year
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:33 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 ducati's over 7 years, and made the mistake of selling the last one and buying a CBR600. After 6 months I now need to sell the CBR and buy another Monster.

If you're happy with the one you have, then you won't want to change it

someguy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:33 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much daily.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Waits for Paddy*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the urge pretty much every time I read a bike magazine.

I might act upon it one day. After all, I have only had my current bike 13 years.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

One bike for 8.5 years.
I used to keep thinking about getting new bikes but I got to the point where I realized I could never bring my self to sell the FZR, so may as well just enjoy it as long as it keeps going.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
*Waits for Paddy*

He wont see the thread, has me enemied for some reason, no idea why. I did see in his profile that he's had a fair few bikes!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a period in the 80s when I seemed to change bikes every five minutes.

I had a deal going with a bike dealer where he would get something interesting in, I would buy it, ride it for a little while (I was a courier, so a little while could mean a couple of weeks/thousand miles) then I swap it for the next thing.

I went through most things 750 and above (and a few below) from the first half of the 80s, never really settled on anything I liked enough to keep.

Then I bought my first XJ900 and I was happy with that.

Started to go through the buying phase again a couple of years ago - bought and sold a few things, then I bought another XJ900 and I'm happy again.

Still tempted by a BMW GS which, on paper, looks like it could be my ideal bike, but I'm not tempted enough to buy one just now.

There's also a few bikes I wouldn't mind owning, but I'm not in the mood for buying stuff I might not use, so I'll stick with what I've got, until it's not worth fixing anymore.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get the urge to try something new and different, but not at the expense of the bike I have now. It's perfect for me, as long as I can have only one bike. This is my 5th Fazer thou on the trot, and I've finally got it exactly to where I want it to be. Absolutely no desire to replace it.

A second bike on the other hand; hmmm, now we're talking Smile

I did used to change my bike quite frequently when I was younger, and I'd like to be able to get back to doing that, but on a second bike I could chop and change as the fancy takes me, with the Fazer always there as the mainstay. But I'd also like to travel a bit further on this one, and if I can't afford to do both, then the travelling bit will win, cos it's the riding that counts for me, not so much the bike.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to get an old CBR600f Albigularis.... I tend to get bored with bikes, funding doesn't allow me to do anything about it though. Until I can look after a bike properly I'll stick with cheap runarounds, although I have had the VFR for over 2 years now

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a year until I find my near perfect bike is the plan Smile

samv
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:17 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

on average about 2 a year i'd say

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:35 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
Once a year until I find my near perfect bike is the plan Smile

Same for me. Tempted ALL THE TIME, but I'd like to rein it back to about once every 12 months.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:42 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my bike for 6 months. I want a different one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:46 - 04 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my CB750 for a decade
I've still got my VF1000.. it's 'engine rebuild' that begged me buying the 750 as a 'stop-gap' is now a rather pitifully unprogresed resto-project!
I've still got, my Montesa trials bike, I bought in 1985... it still works, and can still get placings in events... though they are now 'classic' ones, though is heartening when I clear a section on it folk on contemporary club-men machines clock a few points on...
So NO really.. I very rarely get the urge for something 'new' just for the sake of!
But, it's an approach thing.... seems to me you are putting an expectation on the bike to deliver all the excitement and fun you crave.. then finding it isn;t there, and expecting another to offer whats missing...so rather than appreciating a bike for what it does and does well, and getting the best out of it, yoy are constantly damning its failings and searching for some 'perfect' machine that gives you all you hope and expect, right out the crate and here-ever after, without having to work for it... this is likely to last until you find a new 'hobby' to engage in, and become an hobby-tourist, swapping persuits looking for this 'buzz' of novelty and on-demand fullfillment....
Try Trials... try learning the reward for endevour through discipline and self control.. it can get quite addictive....

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the urge all the time but funds dont allow me to. The SV will likely be up for sale soon and i'll get something else, probably get something sub £1k this time and put the extra away, gonna save up for a half decent bike for next summer!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to change about once a year but now I have the Trophy I'll keep it until I can no longer handle its weight.

Semi retirement means much less free cash so I'll never again have the money to spend £13000 on a bike like I did with this one. Any change I make now will be down grading so I'll keep my armchair on wheel Laughing Thumbs Up

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 main bikes in 32 years (plus 3 trail bikes as second bikes).

Some of those were repeat buys though, 2 GPz750s, 2 DR350s, 2 FJ1200s and 3 Africa Twins.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:58 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh at last something I'm good at on this forum.

As often as possible, variety spice of life and all that.

Still want a Fireblade though, I feel I've missed the experience of a beginner bike like that.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:10 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I look on Bike Trader.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3