Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Budget bikes suitable for track days.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:17 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Budget bikes suitable for track days. Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a bike for track use, though the occasional road ride might be considered, so road legal would be an advantage but I have the use of a van.

Budget is low, around £1000, maybe stretch to £1300, is it possible to get some thing suitable and fun for this? I've done a couple of track days on my adventure bike but would like something to learn on.

I guess I'll be looking at something like a GSXR 600 SRAD or CBR 600, anything else I should be considering that I could get in budget?

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650.

Make awesome track bikes, cheap to modify, parts are dirt cheap, tires are cheap, and with a few basic tweaks they can go bloody fast.

Good fun leaving 600s (and even thous) for dead on a 70bhp bike.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get an old cbr600f. Could probably pick a tatty one up for £500.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
SV650... Good fun leaving 600s (and even thous) for dead on a 70bhp bike.

Laughing Hahahahaha... That was a joke right?

monkeybiker wrote:
I'd get an old cbr600f. Could probably pick a tatty one up for £500.

Not a bad shout but I reckon they hold their value more than that. A grand would get you something usable.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:44 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR600F-1990-Jelly-Mould-Project-Runs-Good-All-Rounder-Track-Bike-or-Hack-/391213218581?hash=item5b161ffb15? Would that be a better shout than a GSXR 600 SRAD?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally wouldn't want an old jelly mould for a track bike. As far as a CBR600F goes you want a 1999/2000 onwards - better chassis, more power, fully adjustable suspension, better brakes, real size tyres (important if you want to run scrubs).

Just remember you want to take a bike and push it harder round corners, go faster and stop quicker than on the road. £300 on a 25 year old bike isn't really the way to go. Spend a bit more and get something fit for purpose.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Personally wouldn't want an old jelly mould for a track bike. As far as a CBR600F goes you want a 1999/2000 onwards - better chassis, more power, fully adjustable suspension, better brakes, real size tyres (important if you want to run scrubs).

Just remember you want to take a bike and push it harder round corners, go faster and stop quicker than on the road. £300 on a 25 year old bike isn't really the way to go. Spend a bit more and get something fit for purpose.

This. SV650 is a bad call unless you're 12.

Pre-injection 600, either a CBR or R6. There's loads about, both are still raced a lot so there's nice bits and plentiful spares about.

The real sized tyres is the most important thing, Matt nailed it.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an sv650 is a bad call at all. It will teach you to ride faster to keep up not rely on power.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir wrote:
I don't think an sv650 is a bad call at all. It will teach you to ride faster to keep up not rely on power.

Or look at it another way. The ones in OPs budget will be stock. That means after a few days he will be getting the standard suspension in a bit of a flap and one of the following will happen:

Get frustrated
Bin it
Throw money at it
Sell it on

Why settle for an SV when there are perfectly good, sorted track and race 600s about for buttons? They'll be more capable and something he can grow into. ~100bhp on a stock carbed 600 means he'll be done by the straight line heroes anyway.

I rode at an airfield day yesterday, I had no trouble going past busas and 12Rs in fast group simply by carrying more corner speed on to the straights. That wouldn't have been possible with an SV's ~70bhp.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:30 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like an IL4, I'm keeping my eye on a few GSXRs and ZX6Rs. Are FZR600s worth a look?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB500, can pick up ex racers for peanuts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dicking on people with an SV650... They are quite capable and I'm a slow rider! You need to harden the front suspension, budget ways are there.

Tyres in decent sizes for scrubs, LOTS of parts as many SV race bikes exist.

If you just want to get into it, nothing wrong with an SV. I doubt you'll find it lacking on certain tracks, others you might want a ZX6R G model or CBR600F
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:32 - 09 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650s can make for good racing.

Given the choice I'd have more power for a track bike - around 100hp is what I like best for fun on trackdays - you should only get left behind by bigger bikes on the longest straights.

Whatever you get, I'd get one that's already a setup track bike - much less hassle and then makes a lot more difference the original spec of the bike.

I'd stick with late 90s and later for easy availability of parts and tyre choices.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:26 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, there doesn't seem to be much choice about within budget at the moment, I might have to wait until winter is looming and increase the budget.

Constantly checking scumtree, ebay and various facebook groups.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:39 - 10 Aug 2015    Post subject: Re: Budget bikes suitable for track days. Reply with quote

4 on ebay right now 'Buy it Now' and more with bids.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=500&_udhi=1400&_nkw=track+bike&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

I reckon the J model ZX6R with V5 looks the best bet:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZX6R-Track-Bike-/291533336526?hash=item43e0bdafce

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:48 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy already watching those. Kent is a good 5 hours away though that one does look great.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:43 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you based?

I'm in Kent (though a bit further up) and do get around the place in my van on occasion.

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:43 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up near Barnsley, places in Kent will be 4 to 5 hours drive I'd guess.

I'll not be able to increase my 1k to 1.2k till payday this month. Tempted to put a bid on this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181825493312?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
CB500, can pick up ex racers for peanuts.

Listen to this advise!!!

You can pick up these in race trim with decent tyres that last ages, and if you bin it on track, no fairings to repair Wink Thumbs Up

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:57 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know of any for sale? Visor down review states "Little excitement to be found." and 58bhp am I missing something?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:51 - 11 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take an SV over a CB500.... because fuck me it's shit.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd take an SV over a CB500.... because fuck me it's shit.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I bet you a tenner you couldn't max the bike out to it's potential

conker wrote:
Know of any for sale? Visor down review states "Little excitement to be found." and 58bhp am I missing something?

And have a look on Thundersport GB site on FB, there's a whole class there who race them, sometimes I see them for sale, good luck.

Watch the first race of this, CB500's, sound awesome, lap pretty fecking quickly;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq7W6UcFuY

conker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:34 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to remain open-minded as take notice of opinions from people with more experience than myself, but I'm thinking I don't want a CB500 for track days, I'm leaning towards a 600 IL4 around 100bhp sounds good.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:49 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I bet you a tenner you couldn't max the bike out to it's potential

I bet you a tenner you couldn't max out a C90s potential around a track.

(When put next to Rossi, or whoever).

Doesn't mean it's a good track bike, however Smile.

I do quite like the idea of the 500 racing, but suspect one would be a bit more frustrating on a trackday - I've ridden similar powered bikes at a trackday (ie RS250) and found myself constantly frustrated by faster bikes with slower riders.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 12 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe stretch your budget a bit, in the long run you could get your money back.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Kawaski%20ZX7R%202000/IMGP0089_zps8881d21f.jpg

I paid £1500 for that 7R - it had braided lines, newish chain and sprockets, Ohlins rear shock, single seat unit. Was a track bike so no MOT but with a V5 and all the removed bits in a box.

I got a cheap bike trailer and used it as a track bike. A year later I bolted all the bits back on, got it an MOT and sold it for £1500. Sold the trailer and made £20 Thumbs Up

I'm not saying get a ZX7R, they are a bit heavy and underpowered for the track but I liked it. Just that if you spend a bit more you can find something ready to go that you could break even on when you sell it.

Also found that bike on Gumtree, not ebay. Not the same amount of bikes on there but often better deals to be had.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2