Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exchange & Mart

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:55 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Exchange & Mart Reply with quote

How about making it a 'new topics only' forum - ie. people cannot reply to threads.

My thinking is that

Arrow It would be more like placing an advert, not starting a discussion.
Arrow You could delete stuff when it's no longer for sale, without nuking lots of other people's posts (and affecting their post count which some people care about).

And most importantly

Arrow It would stop the incessant bitching about how the seller is asking too much / the thing they are selling is shit / criticising for the sake of criticising.

People can get in touch with the seller by PM if they're interested / have questions. Seller can edit original post as required, rather than stating that something's changed about 12 posts into the convo.

Penny Coin Penny Coin

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit that sounds like a smart idea actually. Too many people saying, "You can buy that cheaper here " then just giving useful critisism.

Sooty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:11 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it would mean when people post a wanted thread asking where they can get whatever from you can't do anything other than PM them and the answer I reckon can be of use to other people.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 12:43 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bendy 100%

I also agree Ste that'd posts would help other people sometimes, but looking at the replies in there, must replies are pointless and of no help to selling the item - people don't think before they post in there - including me Rolling Eyes - but I personally agree with what Bendy is suggesting and think it'd be a welcomed idea - and people can delete their posts when they've sold/bought the item to keep it tidy and up-to-date etc.

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:48 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen on some forums that their verson of the exchange section is then split into 2 sections, wanted and for sale. Could this not work?

Sooty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:54 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure how splitting it into two forums would be help really as there might still be posts of "you're asking too much" or "you do want one of them they're crap" type stuff or not being able to post stuff which is of help selling the bike or looking for a bike to buy.

Might work if it was run that posts of "you're asking too much" and the like got deleted and if it happened another time then it got deleted again and you're banned from posting replies in exchange and mart? Not sure though as it would be more stuff for the mods and Korn to do. Thinking Confused

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:00 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

People could just stop posting the critical shite, that would be the best solution.

But yes, a For Sale and a Wanted would be a start - no replies in For Sale cos that should all be done by PM. Wanted is a bit more freeform.

Really depends if that part of the forum is something Korn wants to build on, or if it's just a 'thing'. But at the moment, all most people get for trying to sell is criticism, and that's wang.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 11 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
People could just stop posting the critical shite, that would be the best solution.

Well we know that's not going to happen Wink So I think your original idea is best. Thumbs Up

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:39 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jump on the people who post the crap, removing their posts and affecting both their post count and karma. Twisted Evil

Sorted. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:14 - 12 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A half-way-house could be to have the posts hidden, with the initial bit done more like an add (could even have some kind of form, ie with price and other details, though probably too much hassle.).

This way if people want to posts questions they can, but when they initially look at the thread they just see the add.
Ok they will see the negative bits, but it will hopefully let them have more of a chance to think about it first.

Unfortunately there's a thin line somewhere between a friendly 'you'll sell that quicker if you bring the price down a tad' and a 'anyone that buys this is a foooooool'.
The problem is where do you put the line Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1