BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KMX 125 on/off road project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 19 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the back wheel, and I need to clear some time at work so I can get on the lathe/mill and job the front forks (I'm largely content they'll be fine though) so I made a start on the bit I detest - wiring.

I hate auto wiring, it's not complicated, it's just invariably been mucked about with, and this is no exception. I've pulled off lots of vulcanising/masking/electrical/parcel tape and found:

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/D61F2B38-866B-42B5-92A3-E8E33FED0464.jpg

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/70F6B9E7-A35E-4E92-BA22-A5F1CA387970.jpg

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/8710D85A-D944-405D-A8A7-4C9AEE91BB6E.jpg

And joy of joys, a rounded off screw on the pickup Rolling Eyes

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/45D081FF-5B19-4F68-AD4D-5626ADBE9299.jpg

I'm going to have to pretty much rewrite this I guess!

And a quick question, does anyone know any aftermarket plastics that will fit this?

I've done a fair bit of research, and so far I've found that I can either a) buy some secondhand KMX plastics and try to restore them b) get my pants pulled down by Kawasaki for a new set or c) aftermarket stuff.

I'd prefer the aftermarket stuff but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'll need to remove and reweld the plastics mounts on the frame, which I'm not very keen on TBH.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people have fitted plastics from other models but it does need mounts adjusting, not ideal.

best bet is to respray what you have got if you are trying to stay below your budget.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
some people have fitted plastics from other models but it does need mounts adjusting, not ideal.

best bet is to respray what you have got if you are trying to stay below your budget.

Cheers pal

I'll have a bit of a think

Just finishing stripping the last of the loom this afternoon (with a crippling hangover Sad) and I found this gem Laughing

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/797E6D8B-8E5A-4D83-88FB-0BE25FA66B6B.jpg

Yep, that's the spark plug lead - how the hell has this ever run??!!

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:33 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="System of a Clown"]
dangerousdave wrote:

Just finishing stripping the last of the loom this afternoon (with a crippling hangover Sad) and I found this gem Laughing

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/797E6D8B-8E5A-4D83-88FB-0BE25FA66B6B.jpg

Yep, that's the spark plug lead - how the hell has this ever run??!!

maybe it hasnt run for a while , seems odd to have broken like that, cant imagine what would cause that ??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Some epic wiring you've discovered there! I've done worse myself in the past though Embarassed

Following this with great interest, really liking what you've done so far and am intrigued with the turbo side of things Thumbs Up

My 2p on the plastics, I'd personally be sourcing solid 2nd hand originals in the right colours. Even if they're heavily scuffed and scraped they can be sanded and polished back to a good finish.

I have a pet hate for painted plastics on trail bikes, they are generally a different type of plastic that is 'oily' and are supposed to flex. With all the best prep' in the world you can't expect any paint to stick to them for any length of time other than perhaps for 'show' conditions.

I don't have any personal experience of aftermarket plastics but would expect them to be quite flimsy. Maybe a viable option depending on just what you want to do with the bike and how you want it to look though?
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:46 - 21 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:

I have a pet hate for painted plastics on trail bikes, they are generally a different type of plastic that is 'oily' and are supposed to flex. With all the best prep' in the world you can't expect any paint to stick to them for any length of time other than perhaps for 'show' conditions.

Thing is, a lot of plastics are sprayed anyway from the factory. The brand new OEM fairing parts on my Thunderace were visibly sprayed and then a gel coat applied. In areas where there are rubs or chips its possible to see the layers of paint and gel coat.

Somebody sprayed my KMX rear panels. I wouldn't have known, the only reason why was because there were some chips in it, and on the exhaust side, the paint began to bubble under the heat of the standard silencer. I changed them for this reason, but apart from that they were great.

Problem is the price of OEM plastic. I got lucky and picked up some rear numberboards off tinternet for about 25 quid. Mind you they were scratched up and looked a state. Some sanding and polishing and they look half decent again. However took me ages to find those panels, as most of them get smashed to bits in off-road use.

Other people have used KX plastics but its not for me, dont think it suits these bikes at all, part of the charm is their original look. KX numberboards go on, as well as KX rear fenders, the seats can be shaved down to take a more slippery KX set cover. However then the tank doesn't look right. Try fitting a KX tank onto a KMX top tube. It wont happen mate. Totally different beasts, the KX's used perimeter frames from early 90's.

There are some new KMX plastic kits from Japan floating around the net, but they want silly money for them IMO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMX-125-200-Complete-Plastic-Set-Fenders-Shrouds-Covers-Fairings-Etc-/271986600147?hash=item3f53aa28d3

A pair of rear numberboards are around £70

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMX-125-200-Side-Fairing-Plastic-Available-Color-White-Black-and-Green-/271968080546?hash=item3f528f92a2

Depends how much money you want to spend, if you want to come in at under £750 for the bike then i'd say get the sandpaper, heatgun and polish out and get to work on your plastics ...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 21 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Dave. I also saw those OEM plastics set from Japan for £300, and was in two minds about their value.

Sure it's a lot of cash to lay out on new plastics, probably less though than ordering each piece from a Kawasaki dealer here though.

I guess it depends on how battered or really unusable your old plastics are? if they are smashed/holed or cracked in several places then repair will be time consuming if you can do it yourself, and expensive if you pay someone to do it.

I think having non painted plastics for a pure off road bike is a good bet, but plastics can be painted just as on a road bike I suppose too. All my KMX 125 plastics were re-painted at a car body shop and they came out lovely, but I'm not sure they will be worth it for off road use only?

My 200's black plastics are just all badly scratched and faded, but I will try polishing them and maybe the heat gun trick if required, but then as long as that bike is all the same colour the finish won't matter a bit as I only want to get it really muddy! Smile

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:15 - 21 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

My 200's black plastics are just all badly scratched and faded, but I will try polishing them and maybe the heat gun trick if required, but then as long as that bike is all the same colour the finish won't matter a bit as I only want to get it really muddy! Smile

yes i think for off-roaders they only get scratched up so fitting new plastics kind of stops the fun & introduces anxiety of actually dropping the bike ... its going to happen, especially for any competition use.

fix them up as best you can with minimum expense, then ride !!

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice on the plastics chaps Smile

I've been doing a fair bit of looking about and I've decided this:

My front mudguard is ok, it's badly painted and there's a small chunk out of the bottom edge (ie at the back of the wheel) I reckon taking 7-8mm off carefully with a dremel and shaping it a bit will be just fine - I can't see anyone noticing! The rad scoop is generally ok, albeit badly painted. The rear mudguard is nasty, it's snapped in half at some point and has been stapled/cable tied back together, so it's bin bound. I want an OG KMX rear mudguard as it's also the mount for the oil tank. I'm watching a couple on eBay right now.

I've found a guy in Japan who is advertising what appears to be NOS left and right side panels for £45 + £19 postage. I've messaged him and if that's the case I'm having them, there's loads of crappy ones for £15-20 plus post and I figure I'll probably break even by the time I've sanded/painted etc.

I'd prefer the right coloured plastics and I've also decided that aftermarket is out the window (I want it looking like a KMX) so I'm going to see what turns up and decide the colour scheme from there (both my mudguard and rad scoop are red)

I've also had the rear wheel arrive and once again Lady Luck is smiling at me.

It's got the same size wheel bearing, the caliper lines up a treat (I've got to get the pickup out of the motor) but after that I'll be throwing it back in to check for chain alignment. Looks like I'll need to machine down a spacer but that's it!!

I guess it's officially a Supermoto now Very Happy

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/D4EAD06F-2F07-4834-A38F-2D88196DC511.jpg

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/C906DB58-7E07-4843-B51D-6130A8459A37.jpg

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/D362BCAE-10D8-4CB0-9B53-7EFBF8BA679E.jpg

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/9971A00C-AF98-447B-92E4-EEDAC199ED5B.jpg

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/DDD76BA1-1FC1-4C59-A07D-BE0C5817C76D.jpg

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:53 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good!!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Thumbs Up

I've got to say I think that sits much better with the 17"wheels and the Pulse forks than I thought it would. Yeah sure it will be lower, but it does not look drastically so, which is what I think it would if you just fit 17" wheels to a KMX with std forks.

I like KMX's to look like KMX's too! Smile

If the front mudguard is intact and only scuffed or scratched, then it's still good to re-use and re-paint I'd say. The tank and tank shroud along with that front fender could be prepped and sprayed to look very nice indeed IMO. If all you need is a new/good used rear guard and two side panels then you've got off lightly I'd say on a 24year old KMX.

Also if you go with painting the existing plastics you can have the option of easily masking for different colours or stripes to make a 2 or 3 colour paint scheme or just even to add some pin stripes etc?

Your KMX will be a nice tidy Supermoto, and so that's why I think paint is right for your bike, as it's not going to get all muddy and scuffed up (I hope not anyway!) Laughing

Oh and a reasonably smart paintjob is almost essential if you want to really show off the boosted frankenstien technical goings on inside the frame rails! Wink

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
looking good!!

Cheers!!!

stevo as b4 wrote:
Nice work! Thumbs Up

I've got to say I think that sits much better with the 17"wheels and the Pulse forks than I thought it would. Yeah sure it will be lower, but it does not look drastically so, which is what I think it would if you just fit 17" wheels to a KMX with std forks.

I like KMX's to look like KMX's too! Smile

If the front mudguard is intact and only scuffed or scratched, then it's still good to re-use and re-paint I'd say. The tank and tank shroud along with that front fender could be prepped and sprayed to look very nice indeed IMO. If all you need is a new/good used rear guard and two side panels then you've got off lightly I'd say on a 24year old KMX.

Also if you go with painting the existing plastics you can have the option of easily masking for different colours or stripes to make a 2 or 3 colour paint scheme or just even to add some pin stripes etc?

Your KMX will be a nice tidy Supermoto, and so that's why I think paint is right for your bike, as it's not going to get all muddy and scuffed up (I hope not anyway!) Laughing

Oh and a reasonably smart paintjob is almost essential if you want to really show off the boosted frankenstien technical goings on inside the frame rails! Wink

Very Happy

Definitely going to powdercoat the frame - dunno what colour now!

I'm bound to fall off at some point (confession time - I don't have a bike license!! I've done a bit of moto x and I've ridden the length of Vietnam on a very crappy Honda!!) so I don't want to spend a fortune on the plastics!

It's not going to be a 100 point resto, but I'm going for high end useable Smile

I think the turbo will be a way off, but one day.....

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

System of a Clown wrote:

you may be surprised how far the 125 can be tuned without too much effort, the usual pipe, reeds and carb upgrades really wake up these bikes ....

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cool looking bike in green TBH. The red seat suits it brilliantly, and maybe with a matching red frame as well that would be enough red to off-set the rest of the bike being proper Kawasaki green. You could maybe tape a line down the tank and rad shroud to make a red and a white stripe into the green to break it up a bit and give it a nice look?

Or a tricolour tank with red/white/green could look cool too?

If you keep any graphics white or red to go with the theme then even better IMO!

But you should have a think and do whatever you want with it, as your bike your way is the best rules with any special!

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

System of a Clown wrote:

on the other hand hurry up and get that done i can't wait to see that !!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:

you may be surprised how far the 125 can be tuned without too much effort, the usual pipe, reeds and carb upgrades really wake up these bikes ....

Shsshh! Wink

Your making me feel very fat and lazy and self hating now, for taking so long to post up my KMX +silly extra bits thread. Laughing

I'm hoping to get my 1st Dyno run booked as soon as I'm back from my holiday, and have already booked a few days off work to try and get my bike ready. I might leave them with the new carb on the same day, as it makes sense to fit and set that up too whilst at the dyno place, instead of 2 visits and me risking riding the bike with wrong jetting to get it there.

I think the choke and throttle cables will fit ok, but if they need shortening it's not a big problem I guess.

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
System of a Clown wrote:

on the other hand hurry up and get that done i can't wait to see that !!

Rome wasn't built in a day!!

N/a engine first and get used to it on the road Smile

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It's a cool looking bike in green TBH. The red seat suits it brilliantly, and maybe with a matching red frame as well that would be enough red to off-set the rest of the bike being proper Kawasaki green. You could maybe tape a line down the tank and rad shroud to make a red and a white stripe into the green to break it up a bit and give it a nice look?

Or a tricolour tank with red/white/green could look cool too?

If you keep any graphics white or red to go with the theme then even better IMO!

But you should have a think and do whatever you want with it, as your bike your way is the best rules with any special!

I'm still very much going with your suggestion of the Kawasaki France Red/Green/White. I really like it, and it's a little different.

Wether it's red frame/green/white bits or green frame/red/white bits remains to be seen!

I do love a project which evolves itself over the course of the build Very Happy

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done bugger all on the bike apart from source a good used suspension linkage - lack of work has been due to to troublesome vintage Volkswagens and their resistance to working Sad

However I have received a reply from the DVLA, not the V5 I was hoping for, but I'm guessing it's legit?

https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/cpopaul/image.jpg1_1.jpg

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:57 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the sound of the letter it looks promising.

If you have the reg number it may avoid the hassle of it being inspected.

If no reg number then sounds like they will have to inspect the machine. bear in mind if an inspection is needed then the machine will need to be made up of more than 50% of the original parts, otherwise it may throw its age/ identity into question.

For example if the engine isn't the one noted in the v5c, and forks and wheels are different, then could be under 50% original parts.

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 30 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousdave wrote:
By the sound of the letter it looks promising.

If you have the reg number it may avoid the hassle of it being inspected.

If no reg number then sounds like they will have to inspect the machine. bear in mind if an inspection is needed then the machine will need to be made up of more than 50% of the original parts, otherwise it may throw its age/ identity into question.

For example if the engine isn't the one noted in the v5c, and forks and wheels are different, then could be under 50% original parts.

I was thinking about that, I'm going to write to them and enquire about this inpection - I'm not sure what they're after - do I take some photos for them? Go to a local VOSA place with it? I'm going to keep the the original forks etc until I get a way ahead with it.

But it does sound like its legit, so it's a start Very Happy

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:35 - 30 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

System of a Clown wrote:

I was thinking about that, I'm going to write to them and enquire about this inpection - I'm not sure what they're after - do I take some photos for them? Go to a local VOSA place with it? I'm going to keep the the original forks etc until I get a way ahead with it.

If its an inspection you will be given an appointment to take the bike in. It will be at the closest DVLA office.

However if they request to see the bike then it means there is a query over some part of the application.

I would give them the reg number if you have it, and hope that is all they need.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:11 - 02 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all the effort your going to, why have you put cheap chinese wheels and chinese forks on? Rolling Eyes

by the way chinese tyres are lethal, change em mate or be careful out there when it starts to rain

System of a Clown
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 06 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
after all the effort your going to, why have you put cheap chinese wheels and chinese forks on? Rolling Eyes

by the way chinese tyres are lethal, change em mate or be careful out there when it starts to rain

Because they're cheap Laughing

I understand what you're saying, but I'm after building something a bit different without spending a fortune, and these bits fitted the bill. Sorting out the KMX forks and getting the S/M conversion would have cost a lot, I'm less than £450 into this so far including buying the bike and the new barrel.

For me the effort is the best bit, I enjoy the engineering challenge, if it was easy, everyone would do it Smile I wanted a fairly strict budgeted project. I've done 10's of thousands on projects before (over a few years - I'm not a flash cheque book build bastard!!) and I fancied an S/M

Oh, and the tyres are Avons. I race cars and I know tyres Smile

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:34 - 11 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

any luck with the registration?

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4