Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Birthday Track day booked at Lydden Hill

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:57 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Birthday Track day booked at Lydden Hill Reply with quote

My lovely wife has booked me a track day for my 40th at Lydden Hill. what a lovely wife she is Cool

First time ever on a race track and I'm very excited to be able to push myself and my TZR to see what we can do, hopefully gaining some confidence and skills to take back onto the road (Obviously at a legal speed) Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 24 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, many points for your wife buying you that awesome gift.

Have fun pal, hope to see many photos of you being awesome on track Thumbs Up Wink

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:38 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Nice, many points for your wife buying you that awesome gift.

Have fun pal, hope to see many photos of you being awesome on track Thumbs Up Wink

Cheers I'm pretty sure I'll have loads of fun, and plenty of pics of the day Mr. Green

10 days and counting till the trackday (Fingers crossed the weather is good or I'll be put on the next available date)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well? How did you enjoy it?

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 05 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first track day threads need pictures. It's the law!

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 05 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
My first track day threads need pictures. It's the law!

Exactly, you promised OP, now deliver...

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:27 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fantastic day at Lydden, the weather held out for most of the day, managed 7 sessions out of 8 before rain stopped play.. I am waiting for the photos to come through on disc 53 picsa in total, but here are a few watermarked images to keep you interested Cool

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/_MG_48951_zpsupyglqfv.jpg
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/12188041_10153629765874020_1345223515833730159_o_zpsjasysnre.jpg
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/12185293_10153625984134020_8759123665912516108_o_zpsqq2c6fh1.jpg
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/12185400_10153629765864020_1744159924338452881_o_zpsjqz7vazf.jpg

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat! Smile

Where there any other 125s out there?

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was the only 125, there were some 250 track bikes but mostly bigger bikes.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike, glad you had a good day, I would love to see more 125s on track, in fact, I don't think I have ever seen one... Thinking Thinking Thinking

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:22 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised you were let on with a 125. At least you enjoyed it Smile When did you pass, assume its a full licence?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Surprised you were let on with a 125. At least you enjoyed it Smile When did you pass, assume its a full licence?

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they let him on?

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:29 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they let him on?

Exactly!!

And nope I'm on L plates, you just need to have a full uk drivers licence. . All bikes, riders and abilities are welcomed Wink

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, never knew you could do it off a CBT, learn something new huh!

How did you find the track then? Or trackday riding? I could not imagine hitting a track when I was on L plates.....Fair play to you!

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan AKA H100A1980 wrote:

And nope I'm on L plates, you just need to have a full uk drivers licence. . All bikes, riders and abilities are welcomed Wink

Now that does surprise me, I thought it was full licence only? Learn something new!

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:31 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the track was nice to ride, its a short curcuit only a mile but has a nice straight and some long bends, with a sweet little hairpin at the top end.

First few laps out I followed the tutor to get my lines etc keeping it fairly easy. Then left me to it, offering feedback throughout the day.

Although nothing was officially timed I started off the day at 1.43mins and shaved off 30 seconds through the day. Top speeds felt less than I've had on the road, and sadly didn't manage a knees down. But I'll be back in the summer for more so I'll be working on that Thumbs Up

All in all a wicked gift and well worth the £120.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:17 - 06 Nov 2015    Post subject: trackday Reply with quote

you lucky barsteward £120 is a steal would love to do it on any bike

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Ryan AKA H100A1980 wrote:

Now that does surprise me, I thought it was full licence only? Learn something new!

It varies by track; at the one end MSV are really strict. At the other, I bet you could take anything out at Llandow and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Looks like you had a good time Ryan, do you want to do more and/or get a track bike?

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like you had a good time Ryan, do you want to do more and/or get a track bike?

I really enjoyed it, probably the best gift her indoors has ever bought me Mr. Green

I will defiantly be doing more, I'd love to get a track bike and go regularly, but money is always an issue, I imagine to really go for it in a professional manner would mean a nice hefty wad over a year. £120 a track day + spares, tyres etc etc. And then paddock equipment, tyre warmers, And no doubt If I bought a track bike I would get something a littler bigger than the TZR, which would mean I'd need a van or trailer for transportation to and fro. The list could be endless Twisted Evil

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanTZR125 wrote:
Quote:

I really enjoyed it, probably the best gift her indoors has ever bought me Mr. Green

I will defiantly be doing more, I'd love to get a track bike and go regularly, but money is always an issue, I imagine to really go for it in a professional manner would mean a nice hefty wad over a year. £120 a track day + spares, tyres etc etc. And then paddock equipment, tyre warmers, And no doubt If I bought a track bike I would get something a littler bigger than the TZR, which would mean I'd need a van or trailer for transportation to and fro. The list could be endless Twisted Evil

Having a car with a bike trailer (or better still a van) to get you to and from the track makes the whole experience more enjoyable. If you are going to wind up the number of trackdays then I'd seriously consider the transport.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanTZR125 wrote:
Quote:

I've done 7 days this year and it's averaged ~£110 per day for the booking fees, 2.5 sets of Supercorsa scrubs at £100 a throw, £40 fuel there in van fuel and £25 for a tank and a half in the Trumpet each time. Then £50 odd for a couple of oil changes and some more for rattle cans and filler when I joined the Craner Club and £110 for some warmers. That's before buying a bike. I don't want to total that lot up, I'm too scared Embarassed

...and that's with a mate driving his race van and me borrowing it a couple of times to go by myself, rather than trailering the bike or buying my own van.

So yes, it gets expensive. Having said all that, there's a few blokes who can just turn up on their road bikes, on road tyres and run mid fast group pace Thumbs Up

Re: bike choice you'll have no problems on a 125 on small tracks. At the RAF Shawbury airfield day I did, an 11 year old on a little Honda Moto4 bike was all over me until the straights and at the likes of Mallory, Pembrey, Llandow and perhaps Cadwell you could just ride round the bigger bikes carrying epic corner speed. A 600, even a shonky old £800 CBR will be a better bet if you get properly into it though.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 07 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
... A 600, even a shonky old £800 CBR will be a better bet if you get properly into it though.

Or a SV650 Smile

Boy this takes me back! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdfXlNEkFDc

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 08 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: trackday Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
you lucky barsteward £120 is a steal would love to do it on any bike

I'm doing Mallory this weekend for 49 quid.....get amongst it

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:56 - 08 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really surprised an L plater is allowed on track. I got refused years ago at Lydden. Did you tell them you only had a CBT? If so, this is quite interesting... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:29 - 08 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I am really surprised an L plater is allowed on track. I got refused years ago at Lydden. Did you tell them you only had a CBT? If so, this is quite interesting... Very Happy

I wasn't asked for any information regarding my motorcycle entitlement, just had to show a full UK drivers licence, there was no info on the website stating anything about motorcycle entitlement anywhere. So I assume it's not a requirement Question I arrived on my bike clearly showing L plates. I would also say its a full gone conclusion anyone riding a road worthy 125 would be a learner?

Have a look at the site Paddy see if I missed it, but as I say I had L's on at arrival and back on to ride home, which I put on whilst talking to the tutor and not a word was uttered Wink

https://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/track-days
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2