Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trigger's Broom Project TDM(s)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:10 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Trigger's Broom Project TDM(s) Reply with quote

As a lot of you will have seen from the other thread I bought a TDM900 with a FUCKED front end from eBay. Best part the mileage! 872!

I picked it up today, minorly disappointed with it as a few bits I had hoped where OK were actually knacker but that's my fault for being optimistic. (Rad has been hole and a couple of other minor bits.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321855210445?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The plan was too use my current 13 year old bike to build to this however that might not be that straight forward...

I cannot believe the whack it as taken, it has not only smashed and bent the forks but it has, cracked the wheel and bent the Spindle!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_122142_zpsbmdzgbnn.jpg

Gaffer tape to stop the fairing flapping!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_122657_zpsssz0ontv.jpg

Sub frame is straight the rest is bent!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_152858_zpsestowkwd.jpg

Milage

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_163139_zps49q1rx5m.jpg

Cracked wheel

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_163943_zpsiokzaivz.jpg

Spindle

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_161845_zpsdid7pdiq.jpg

The good fork!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150926_164409_zpspgtmvi02.jpg

The bad fork, it's stuck gonna have to remove the yokes

Now the problem...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG-20150926-WA0000_zpsheyfchn4.jpeg

Do you think this is repairable? It doesn't go all the way through. I intend on doing it properly getting it to Motoliner probably and put in a jig, I'm hoping the frame isn't scrap, barring this, the side panel and a bent foot rest which is easily straighten from the yokes bad it's more or less mint. For various reasons, I would much rather move to this new frame than move stuff over to my own one.

Last edited by chris-red on 18:14 - 26 Sep 2015; edited 1 time in total

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:11 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the bloke was another TDM nutter, this was his second and his third is in the background! Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:52 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150927_113814_zpshge40tp4.jpg

I'm guessing this is proper fucked!

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:04 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a think maybe it can be bored out and then a replacement piece made to press fit in.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:38 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My triple was crashed in to a wall at an unknown speed and it's literally blew the front wheel to pieces Sad

With the frame... id say you aresafer using yours but if you trust motoliner.... go with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got a bargain with this! I have an export guy that would pay a lot more for it than you paid.

Pity about the frame, fingers crossed its repairable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 19:17 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
you got a bargain with this! I have an export guy that would pay a lot more for it than you paid.

Pity about the frame, fingers crossed its repairable.

Tell me about it! My bid was 2k I was expecting it to go for 1500+! I'm happy to throw some decent money at it to get it

I'll speak to motoliner and see what they say!

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:47 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a snipe set up for it at £1566.66 with the idea of punting it out for export at £2000-2200.

Its surprising what the export guys will pay sometimes and also what they will repair!

I had a cbr600f 2002 with 8500miles on it last year, had been in a big crash, snapped forks/frame/crankcases/swingarm/front wheel one side of bodywork gone and a few other little bits. They paid £1400 for it and where planning on repairing it too!

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:41 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
I had a snipe set up for it at £1566.66 with the idea of punting it out for export at £2000-2200.

Its surprising what the export guys will pay sometimes and also what they will repair!

I had a cbr600f 2002 with 8500miles on it last year, had been in a big crash, snapped forks/frame/crankcases/swingarm/front wheel one side of bodywork gone and a few other little bits. They paid £1400 for it and where planning on repairing it too!

Thanks for taking it off you have saved me what I'm expecting the the frame to cost to be put right! It does seem a rediculious amount for truely fecked bikes! There are SO many parts of this bent or broken, I can't see how anyone could turn a profit fixing it with SH parts, you'd have to do what I'm doing to make it worth while!

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:56 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries dude, will be watching the build Smile

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:27 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frames unrepairable according to motoliner, I trust in their expertise. I need to decide what I do now Confused

Last edited by chris-red on 13:11 - 28 Sep 2015; edited 1 time in total

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just sell it to Stoney and let him move it on is the easiest option?

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:49 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I want the engine Laughing

Trying to decide weather I strip mine, PC the frame Black then rebuild using the best bits of both, OR just lob the engine in mine.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:39 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Frames unrepairable according to motoliner, I trust in their expertise. I need to decide what I do now Confused

Because they are bound by a duty of care. Clean up the cut and weld it, copy on the other side to make it look legit. Would use. Welds are probably stronger than standard anyway.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:43 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Because they are bound by a duty of care. Clean up the cut and weld it, copy on the other side to make it look legit. Would use. Welds are probably stronger than standard anyway.

The crack is easy they'd do that in a heartbeat it's the fucked headstock that is the issue.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headstock pic makes it hard to determine exactly what the damage is. Looks like the seat is mangled from the steering tube getting bent and turning the bearings in the seats. what exactly is the problem there?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:44 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The headstock pic makes it hard to determine exactly what the damage is. Looks like the seat is mangled from the steering tube getting bent and turning the bearings in the seats. what exactly is the problem there?

The damage as best I can describe is the back of the seat where the bearing race sits has been smashed up.

Better pictures.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150928_203324_zpsj3zivnza.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_20150928_203159_zpscvkhrtqm.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:48 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah gotcha.

Be brutal. Chop your headstock off. Weld to new one. Bam Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smashed seat isn't such a big deal you could weld that and machine it back to re-make a seat. The concern I would have is that it seems to have a vertical crack on the left hand side.

If you're seriously thinking of repairing it I would spend a few quid on a dye penetrant testing kit and check the headstock thoroughly for cracks.

EDIt: Cheaper kit £8

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Last edited by Pete. on 21:00 - 28 Sep 2015; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:57 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a crack? Am I being blind?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:58 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have a good frame on your other bike. Why even try to build up on a frame with quite significant damage.

Build what suits you, rather than what may be worth more on paper. You're going to keep it for years while you further develop your sick fetish for tedium. Once older bikes are banhammered out of central London, you might finally be persuaded to move on from parallel twins.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I can't see a crack? Am I being blind?

Looks like it's cracked here..

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:09 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it where me I would build the bike up on the old frame (presuming it is in good order and the same) with new bearings and fresh grease/copperslip where needed, coat it in ACF50, fit braided lines nice exhaust, sort the suspension to suit you etc basically make a really good TDM.

Then sell what remains, the frame although fucked will still make good money I recon.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:12 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and take lots of pictures of both the damaged bike and yours during the rebuild to show what has been done both as a record for yourself and if you decide to sell so you have proof. maybe even keep a copy of his ebay listing and the invoice to you etc.

chris-red

PostPosted: 21:30 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a closer look with a light, it doesn't appear to be a crack, There are casting marks on both sides I think it is just that. For repairing the seat any idea where would do that and roughly what I'd pay?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2