Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bridgenorth Biker Paper Article

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stu
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:47 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Bridgenorth Biker Paper Article Reply with quote

Hiya

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but was in last nights paper, I didn't go this week though

Stu
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:52 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like a bit of media hysteria. Note the hysterical comments about people riding a trike without helmets (not legally required) and riding with headlights "blazing" (ie, as recommended in the highway code).

All the best

Keith

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to that meet reguarly and it is far from being the worst meet for people doing stunts, obviously the worst is bassets pole but the stormy is getting quite bad (good Twisted Evil ) for people stunting. The police are very aware of the bike meet as I have seen a lot of time helicopters, unmarked cars and generally just a lot of police around.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:11 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journalists eh! Evil or Very Mad
Sounds like a slow news day and whipping up a bit of local paranoia. Wouldn't trust anything written in that paper. Obviously didn't check facts. Where's the intervews with the bikers?

Would the bikers in the picture have a case for defamation of character?

Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought those Black Country boys and girls were wuffians. Wink

stu
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:51 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen no real problems at the Wheel, I go quite regularly, you see the odd wheelie and things but haven't seen anything excessively dangerous, they should know what they're doing, I wouldn't try a wheelie though Smile I've only been to bassets pole once, didn't see any wheelies or other stunts but wasn't expecting to see any really after what happened there. Loads of police around the wheel every wednesday now though, I think they should be placing those resources towards catching criminals rather than sitting there all night with a camera van and patrol units hoping to catch the odd person doing 5 miles over the speed limit/small wheelie etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"others sped by with their headlights blazing and engines roaring"

Ohhhh noooses!!111

Laughing

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been but once i get my lience and bike i'll be there Thumbs Up . By the sounds of things would be cool if the police would corner the road off by it, then we pay a little fee (like a pound or something silly) and let the bikers do what they like. But nothing too crazy. Or am i just being stupid again Confused ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:28 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things in his comments.

"Another duo travelled on a large trike - without helmets"... ermm isn't that the point of a trike, you don't have to wear lids !

"and one foolhardy biker was spotted on the wrong side of the road so he could overtake with greater ease" !!!! As opposed to what.. jumping over the cars in front !

Jaz
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and

"others sped by with their headlights blazing"... read the highway code.. it says to put your lights on at all times.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 14:58 - 13 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth writing a reply to the letter and making those comments to them, see if it gets printed. Very Happy

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 00:32 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun, I already replyed to them.

I wrote a letter and posted it yesterday, explaining a few things to the Express and Star.

The ironic thing was that the front headline that was run was about a biker "seriously injured" by a footballer who pulled out on the biker because he "didn't see him" Laughing

I pointed that out to them also.

I'm waiting for tomorrow's paper to see if they print my letter. Thumbs Up

EDIT : There was an article in tonight's paper, a response from the police basically saying that the article from Thursday night was utter tosh and that the police kept control of the meet - which in fairness they do. The Express and Star scathed the police for not doing their job by saying that they didn't see any on the night their well informed (PAH!) reporters were there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

aqualung1
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:40 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spottted stu

well done annabella ion replying

but looks like a "stock " story waiting to happen

( same as MCN's "Only wearing t shirts and shorts")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:33 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Well done Bella, now go down there and do a topless protest! Wink

Annabella

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one would notice Shaun, I'm too small!

This is what I wrote:

As an avid, yet not so maniacal nor "crazy", motorcyclist, I regularly attend the meetings at the Wheel of Worfield and was enraged at the article published in your evening edition on the 12th August 2004.

Many of the comments made were uneducated, biased sweeping sweeping statements which will only lead to increased animosity between car drivers and motorcyclists. For example you will find that the "duo on a large trike - without helmets" were abiding by the law, as helmets are not required to ride a trike. Would you criticise a driver of a Robin Reliant for not wearing a helmet? Also, the motorcyclist "spotted on the wrong side of the road" would have been in this position to improve his/her safety, firstly to obtain a clearer view of the road ahead, enabling him to respond more safely and quickly to any oncoming traffic, but also to ensure that he/she was not in the blind spot of any vehicle. As for the criticism of "headlights blazing", this is also an effort to improve the safety of riders. Bikes are small vehicles and much harder to spot, so many bikers have been injured due to the typical "I didn't see you" car driver response (see your front headline cover). It is recommended to ride with headlights on, and indeed, the motorcycle manufacturers are now producing bikes on which it is not possible to turn off the headlights.

The sound of bikes also makes them appear faster than they actually are, and unfortunately due to the small, high revving size of the engines this is unchangable. So many of these "death defying speeds" are possibly not so death defying. There has been many an occasion where I have been put in more danger by the car drivers along the route than the fellow bikers. Unfortunately car drivers are not as aware of the road as bikers become and do not notice bikes overtaking. I have also experienced occasions when car drivers ahve become frustrated with being overtaken and make aggressive moves towards me. I hasten to point out that often these cars are travelling so far below the speed limit that they are as dangerous as those travelling above it.

The meet brings a great deal of business to an otherwise, quiet country pub and the garage alongside, which should surely be seen as a positive addition to the local residents. The pub even makes a concerted effort to serve locals before bikers by even having separate queues.

I sincerely hope that this article does not have the effect I predict it will. It is highly biased against motorcycles and their riders, and will be detrimental to the government's new scheme to improve awareness of motorcycles and encourage their use as they are far more efficient and environmentally forms of transport than cars.

Love me.

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Bella Thumbs Up

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 14:01 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put Bella! Thumbs Up Very Happy

Let me know if it gets printed, if it does then Mike owes you a drink. Twisted Evil

Annabella

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do indeed chuck, and I'll claim that drink Thumbs Up

I wrote it in a bit of a rage, so I'm surprised the English was as comprehensible as it is! Confused

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read all the article but at least they're saying it's the minority that are doing 100mph and pulling wheelies, not all of them. I just don't like the way they've devoted such a big article to a few ppls gripes, the meet's been going on for years why dont residents who don't like it just fuck off to somewhere like the sleeping town of Glen Furlock Lothbleuurgh or something.

But it's what the media like to do, cause a stir, aggravate and annoy ppl, write bullshit to incite a huge response and thus gain even further publicity for themselves. They're not interested in the truth just whats causes the most talk.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it is very well put together and I didn't see one swear word in it, shame. Wink

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:20 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very good letter 'Bella. It should get printed. Thumbs Up

Annabella

PostPosted: 18:38 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not in tonight's paper.

However, I'll keep checking next week, I am not sure how long it takes them to process these things.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Thats a very good letter 'Bella. It should get printed. Thumbs Up

And for that very reason it won't - a paper will not print something that makes a previous article look ill informed and biased. Evil or Very Mad
Still a very good letter Anna, and I hope it does have some effect.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:13 - 14 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good letter Bella,
However when complaining on the side of bikes and bikers, I find it is usually better to describe ourselves as 'motorcyclists' - it sounds more respectable somehow.

It also might have been worth noting that the highway code recommends that motorcyclists use dipped headlights during the day to aid visibility.

Top stuff for standing up to them! Thumbs Up

Annabella

PostPosted: 18:09 - 20 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... my letter was published - tonight!

Last night there was an further article that interveiwed two guys at the Wheel itself, and was a condemnation of "born again bikers".

My letter is in, which is good, but heavily edited, almost enough to make me sounds rather stupid! Laughing Nice one Express and Star!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2