Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

my 1st track day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:40 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: my 1st track day Reply with quote

my 1st track day at snetterton , i went into the inters group because my brother said i would be ok in that group, i dont think i done too badly but i did mess up on a few gear changes n got neutral a couple of times:( overall i enjoyed the day so thats all that counts i suppose Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULFSGnjOaE

https://i64.tinypic.com/1z6az3b.jpg
https://i68.tinypic.com/353a34p.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:26 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trackday in January? Your brave great fun all the same

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:

This winter has been very mild, so why not.

I've got enough parts in the shed to make up an old cbr600f. Hmm Thinking could make meself a track bike.

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:56 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was back in august but im new to the forum lol but i very rarely ride when its cold im too much off a sissy Embarassed lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:
robertw95 wrote:

This winter has been very mild, so why not.

I've got enough parts in the shed to make up an old cbr600f. Hmm Thinking could make meself a track bike.

you should do it youll love it, as soon as i got back i brought track panels and a few other goodies to prepare it for track , then went and brought an r1 so ill see how it goes this year i might try that on track when i got a bit more practice on it ive only rid it 3 times lol

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdb1991 wrote:

you should do it youll love it, as soon as i got back i brought track panels and a few other goodies to prepare it for track , then went and brought an r1 so ill see how it goes this year i might try that on track when i got a bit more practice on it ive only rid it 3 times lol

I've done a few trackdays in the past and it is cool. You can't ride like that on the public road, well not if you like staying alive like. They were done on an old cbr600f I had but have sold years ago.

Did the california superbike school on my zed. Not sure I would want to keep risking the zed so if I did another trackday it would be on a cheap bike I'm not to bothered about.

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:03 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeybiker wrote:
Cdb1991 wrote:

I've done a few trackdays in the past and it is cool. You can't ride like that on the public road, well not if you like staying alive like. They were done on an old cbr600f I had but have sold years ago.

Did the california superbike school on my zed. Not sure I would want to keep risking the zed so if I did another trackday it would be on a cheap bike I'm not to bothered about.

thats the issue ive got with my gsxr , me persoanlly i think its in too good condition to have as a track bike thats why i wanna get like a cat c or d bike to turn into a track bike lol

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:10 - 15 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better off just buying a track bike to be honest, works out cheaper and less hassle

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:18 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
Better off just buying a track bike to be honest, works out cheaper and less hassle

Thats what im thinking to be honist but dont want to part with my gsxr and aint got enough room for anymore bikes lol

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:57 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about keeping the bike good but when your just starting out doing trackdays the chances of you binning it are pretty low especially in novice group. Its once you move into inters (most dangerous group imo) or fast that you start pushing your luck a bit.

Matty21
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye I agree invest in a track bike, should you drop it you still have your transport for everyday Smile and just relax relax relax

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 17 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track bike not needed IMO.

Go out and have fun.

Oh, hang off more and throw that screen in the bin. I was a little bit sick when I saw it. Wink Sick Thumbs Up

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

I second this. If you're doing the odd one or two a year a trackbike would be wasted.

But, looks like you had fun for your first time. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:26 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do quite a few more track days this year, i only done one so far and was inters and found it alright, my mate keeps telling me to go on my r1 but im not ready to take that on track yet i need more experiance still ive only rid a litre bike about 5 times before lol when the weathers good ill get back out on my r1 and get sum practice in , what do yous recon will be worth trying litre bike on track yet or not ?

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, why not, did my first trackday on a R1.

Pssssst, ity only goes as fast as you want it to Wink

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Sure, why not, did my first trackday on a R1.

Pssssst, ity only goes as fast as you want it to Wink

Yeah thats true but i dont like being overtaken 😂 So ill end up on the power to early comming out of corners and probly drop it, ill do sum thinking mayb 750 track bike would be better for me

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:38 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to get on the power earlier on the 750 to make up for the drop in power on the longer straights.

On track; all vehicles going the same direction. No pot holes or drain covers. All similar vehicles focused on riding fast rather than catching up on gossip with Aunti Vera on the phone.

On road: opposite of the above pretty much.

Maybe you should get the bike with cheap fairings for the road and keep the nice one for track! Razz

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:33 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can probably get away with putting the power on sooner on a 750 though compared to a litre back end be stepping out, I'm looking at a few litre track bikes at the moment i a'int in no rush because the weather but hopefully ill find something by the time good weather comes in Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:45 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer smaller bikes myself - when I was racing it, I was a bit sceptical about the 675, but actually on trackdays the extra capacity does make a bit of a difference with a bit more midrange and no real loss at the top compared to 4 cylinder 600s.
Last trackday at Anglesey I was having a nice tussle (did manage to get and stay past eventually) what I assumed was a similar age GSXR600 - turned out it was the 750.

Of course, most of it is down to the rider and there's plenty of others that would have got me on a smaller bike.

However, if your aim is to be as fast as possible, the litre bike will likely be the way to go regardless.

If your aim is to improve and feel like you're making good use of the bike, the smaller capacity would be my suggestion.

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what thinking about it now i know i can handle a 600 ish cc bike nicely and i got to track days for fun and a challenge so i suppose the challenge for me will be to try stick with the bigger bikes , i a'int no superstar on a bike and i'm comfortable on a 600 so a daytona might be a good shout for me that bike didnt even cross my mind before thanks

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:38 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Go out and have fun.

Depends on how much you need your bike. If you've got one bike that you use for everything then getting a track bike is a wise investment. It'll remove that little nag in your head about coming off which makes you more likely to fall off the track. If it's a weekend toy then not much point in buying a track bike.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd stick with a 600/750 to improve track riding. See it all too often on trackdays riders using the power of a litre bike to hide poor riding skills.. Bigger sense of achievement when you do pass them

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 20 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

600s all the way for track bikes, I personally find them more fun to ride. I find they make you work for the good lap times.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:57 - 20 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
600s all the way for track bikes, I personally find them more fun to ride. I find they make you work for the good lap times.

I quite enjoyed the SV650, especially when you pass people with much bigger bikes and your skill level is fairly low.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Bishbash II wrote:

I quite enjoyed the SV650, especially when you pass people with much bigger bikes and your skill level is fairly low.

Awesome trackbikes, you still got it? If so, fancy hitting a track or two up this year?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2