Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mini bike racing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:02 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Mini bike racing? Reply with quote

Hi all

Anyone on here into mini bike racing? Mainly, the supermoto type? Me and a few friends have been looking at entering a local event at Teesside called Moped Mayhem - which is just a laugh - but we are thinking of doing a few events after.

Thing is, we need a bike! But I'm just wondering where is best to look? I've looked on ebay/gumtree but there isnt a great deal around (mainly off-road type - is it a case of just changing the wheels/tyres over?

We dont want to splash out for a brand new one as we're just testing the water, budget of about £800 or so for a second hand one. Is this realistic?

Many thanks

Chris

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:45 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Mini bike racing? Reply with quote

First off; 'supermoto mini bike racing' typically refers to pitbikes. This is different to 'moped mayhem' which typically means bikes that have been road registered and often you aren't allow fully manual bikes.

Shouldn't need to spend 'near that much... I've got a Honda X8R (with v5 if I can find it) that was used at the RAF wittering moped mayhem last year I'll sell you for a lot less! Smile
Otherwise, try facebook groups; but expect a lot of 'ith mint m8'.

Events are good fun generally; well worth having a go at.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:50 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah mate I know it's not the same event lol but we want to get a bike we could do proper events on after Smile

And yeah, I'm thinking that there'll be a few chancers out there selling shit claiming it's mint, that's why I thought I'd ask if there's anywhere people know that there's genuine sellers

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing a moped mayhem, it'll only be suitable for similar events.
Or for moped specific racing. However for moped mayhem you tend to want reliable and sturdy, while for proper moped racing you want fast and light.

Pitbike supermoto tends to have different rules and there's not really any cross over.

However, there is quite a lot of moped mayhem events around.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:14 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event has a class 'pit bikes up to 160cc' Smile

But I've read that the 140cc's can have a better torque curve and there are more events out there for 140's rather than 160's?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:34 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's fine then.
Don't expect to be spending much less than £500, depending on how lucky you get.
Also, nope; 160s have more torque etc. There's not a massive amount more for 140s these days - matchams runs 140s only, but totally the wrong part of the country for you. Most others have classes for 160s too.
140 does give you a bit more flexibility, but a bit more irksome racing in open classes.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Smile

I've been looking and m2r seem popular? I saw Stomp but not sure if these are good or just tat.

Any other makes to be looking for?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:31 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:
Cool, thanks Smile

I've been looking and m2r seem popular? I saw Stomp but not sure if these are good or just tat.

Any other makes to be looking for?

M2R, Stomp, Welsh Pitbikes, CW, all OK but ultimately you're getting something built in the same factory in China. There might be slightly better quality control on the ones with pronounceable names, but they are basically the same, and even if you buy a cheapo one it wouldn't take that much to make it competitive as long as it's a YX140 CRF 50 or CRF70 clone. They are doing Kawasaki clones now with dual spar frames and things, but I don't really know much about those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:37 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thanks Smile

So best place to look, eBay etc? Doesn't seem to be much around just now

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:30 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the British ones are pretty similar, as per the above. Generally named British brand ones better than the cheaper Chinese-branded one, as you'd hope by the price. Expect to invest in a fair bit of thread-lock whatever.

I've got a M2R 140 (first one I got). It's ok, but the shock was way too soggy with the standard spring - much better with a 1200lb spring and a few tweaks.

If you're expecting to be running against 160s, I'd look that way. It's not too hard to keep up with a 140 in a 160 (and in British Mini Bikes I think there's a bit more competition in the 140 class), but it can still get frustrating at points.
Saying that; I was pleased I managed to get past a CRF150 on my m2r 140 at hullavington the other day and stay past until the end - though wasn't many laps left when I did. (CRF are much faster as they're a competition bike rather than based on a third world commuter.)

I think all of mine have been ebay - but keep an eye on the racing series facebook pages etc - maybe ask if anyone has one for sale and so on.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:35 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Stomp 140 is for sale. It's a CRF50 frame with a CW YX140 engine. It has 12" spoked supermoto rims.

It has an oil leak at the moment which I haven't been able to trace but I've not really had time to look for it properly as I've just moved house. I might be a bit far away from you though, as I'm in Basingstoke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:24 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
All the British ones are pretty similar, as per the above. Generally named British brand ones better than the cheaper Chinese-branded one, as you'd hope by the price. Expect to invest in a fair bit of thread-lock whatever.

I've got a M2R 140 (first one I got). It's ok, but the shock was way too soggy with the standard spring - much better with a 1200lb spring and a few tweaks.

If you're expecting to be running against 160s, I'd look that way. It's not too hard to keep up with a 140 in a 160 (and in British Mini Bikes I think there's a bit more competition in the 140 class), but it can still get frustrating at points.
Saying that; I was pleased I managed to get past a CRF150 on my m2r 140 at hullavington the other day and stay past until the end - though wasn't many laps left when I did. (CRF are much faster as they're a competition bike rather than based on a third world commuter.)

I think all of mine have been ebay - but keep an eye on the racing series facebook pages etc - maybe ask if anyone has one for sale and so on.

Again, thanks for the help!

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:25 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
My Stomp 140 is for sale. It's a CRF50 frame with a CW YX140 engine. It has 12" spoked supermoto rims.

It has an oil leak at the moment which I haven't been able to trace but I've not really had time to look for it properly as I've just moved house. I might be a bit far away from you though, as I'm in Basingstoke.

Do you have any photographs mate?

Yeah, Basingstoke is quite a distance...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:37 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a fuel money contribution was offered, possible I could at least transport it to west-yorks way.

(I do need to do a trip up at some point, but haven't justified it yet.)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:42 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/racebike_small.jpg

It's had an engine swap since then, so It's got a YX engine now, not a dodgy Lifan. It's also a bit grubbier and a bit more used than then. That pic was taken before I started racing nearly two years ago. Other than that it looks pretty much the same. I'll try to get a more recent photo soon.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:26 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chrisdubya wrote:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/racebike_small.jpg

It's had an engine swap since then, so It's got a YX engine now, not a dodgy Lifan. It's also a bit grubbier and a bit more used than then. That pic was taken before I started racing nearly two years ago. Other than that it looks pretty much the same. I'll try to get a more recent photo soon.

How much were you thinking?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:29 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, it's probably worth £700 without the oil leak. How about £500? You can buy an entire new engine for £300.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:36 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the oil leak means a whole new engine, or are you unsure at this stage?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:58 - 05 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:
Do you think the oil leak means a whole new engine, or are you unsure at this stage?

I can't see any cracks or anything, so it could just be a seal or a gasket or something.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:09 - 08 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chrisdubya wrote:

I can't see any cracks or anything, so it could just be a seal or a gasket or something.

I'll speak to the lads and get back to you Thumbs Up apart from the leak - all good to go?

G - thank you for the offer! Where in W Yorks you heading to?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:19 - 08 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be going to Keighley - but don't worry, I wouldn't inflict going there on anyone!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1