Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki GPZ500 Custom Cafe Racer Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

MiniMan96
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:05 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Kawasaki GPZ500 Custom Cafe Racer Project Reply with quote

Hey all. Im new to this so bare with me. Also this is on a different thread but im just transferring it over to this. I put it in the wrong section like a muppet Embarassed Been pestered to join this for a year by Fladdem but I've been too busy to join... So why not do it at work while I have jack shit to do? Rolling Eyes

Anyways, around Mid September I bought a fully working GPZ550 off my mate (Fladdem) who got it for free. Instead of doing my A2 and riding that I thought "Hell with it. They look awesome cafe racer'd". So to his disgust I stripped it down over a few weekends in the shed and planned what I was going to do with it. My plans were to put a ZXR600 front and rear end on with Upsy Downies and a Ohlins shock from work. After searching eBay I didn't come across any parts within my price range, but I came across a VFR750 single sided swingarm. So I showed my step dad, as he was interested, and passed a comment of "Fuck. I wish I could but a single sided swingarm on mine" to which he responded "Why not? You can make anything fit". So me being me I accepted the challenge and bought the whole rear end (Braided brake line, calliper, disc, swingarm, showa shock, the linkage, CBR wheel with tyre and sprocket) for just £250 with postage.

The next job is to get that fitted (I ran out of time and money due to my shit pay package and busy work life style) so I'm still waiting to fit it to my frame. I've already cut out the rear sets and suspension linkages as they were going to be in the way, so I just need to find a tig welder and fabricate a new suspension mount and rear sets mounting position.

So while I was waiting for that I kept at the hunt for a front end. With no luck I found some Aprillia RSV Millie top and bottom yokes, so if any forks, callipers, wheel and disc's come along for a reasonable price I'll buy them. But in the meantime Im going to look at making the yokes fit as well as the swimgarm.

As well as all that I've cut down the frame so I can fit a fibreglass seat unit which fits perfectly and will look awesome. I haven't got any photo's of the seat but ill get some at some point when i remember.

Thats all I've done so far as I really haven't had the time to work on it. But the possibility of even converting it to injection instead of carbs came to my head, but its probably too much money than its worth.

Im planning to make it a reliable bike because I intend to ride it long distances and also show it off at shows with my Mini. So it wont just be a show bike but a bike I can ride often.

Cheers guys

https://s1055.photobucket.com/user/MiniMan96/media/GPZ550%20Project/20150918_234212000_iOS_zps42gzegaa.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

bladeblaster
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:42 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it will be interesting. Thumbs Up

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am both saddened and mildly aroused when I think about what you're doing to my bike.

Continue. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like someone is finally doing something towards getting the old Mongrel on the road and looking good too! Wink

Did it take long to get it out of Fladdems garage? I'm imagining it was a full day of moving bikes, parts and other 'dunno what that is but it might be useful one day' items to get it out into daylight? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MiniMan96
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:05 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
I am both saddened and mildly aroused when I think about what you're doing to my bike.

Continue. Laughing

Adam, we both know this arouses you more than saddens you. It'll be a nice piece of kit when its finished. Especially when I get the head ported and polished Wink

Quote:
Sounds like someone is finally doing something towards getting the old Mongrel on the road and looking good too! Wink

Did it take long to get it out of Fladdems garage? I'm imagining it was a full day of moving bikes, parts and other 'dunno what that is but it might be useful one day' items to get it out into daylight?

And luckily not... but we did spend a good hour trying to fix his fence instead and played with an axe Rolling Eyes

We've already done the whole "I might need that at some point" while looking at teddy bear strapped to a dildo on his TTR seat haha

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMan96 wrote:

And luckily not... but we did spend a good hour trying to fix his fence instead and played with an axe Rolling Eyes

We've already done the whole "I might need that at some point" while looking at teddy bear strapped to a dildo on his TTR seat haha

I forgot we played with that axe, I nearly lost my fingers Laughing

Anyway, as it transpires I did need Terrence the Destroyer, you asked to borrow him the other day. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

Vincent 2
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like to see the pics , so gave you a hand,hope you dont mind
https://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s503/MiniMan96/GPZ550%20Project/20150918_234212000_iOS_zps42gzegaa.jpg
https://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s503/MiniMan96/GPZ550%20Project/20150920_182833000_iOS_zps0plnqdwe.png

https://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s503/MiniMan96/GPZ550%20Project/20150920_171024000_iOS_zpswhgi7ink.jpg

MiniMan96
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:57 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilybob wrote:
Like to see the pics , so gave you a hand,hope you dont mind

No I don't mind at all, cheers dude. How did you do that btw? I can't work it out haha Embarassed

Vincent 2
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are , I think this is better so you can see your work all in one place

Vincent 2
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anthony , actually enjoyed the rant over in General Bike chat , must admit i`ve had the same thing , people assume that when your new to a forum you dont know anything about bikes, Good on yer Matey

MiniMan96
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:42 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilybob wrote:
Hi Anthony , actually enjoyed the rant over in General Bike chat , must admit i`ve had the same thing , people assume that when your new to a forum you dont know anything about bikes, Good on yer Matey

Haha Cheers man. Yeah it does my head in when people just assume and treat people badly just because they're new. And even if I didn't know anything, some support and help would've been more appreciated than anything. Oh well, it won't stop me. Im going to keep doing it for people who are interested. But yeah, cheers dude
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1