Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW Club Ride-Friendly TrackDays

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

DPG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Mar 2016    Post subject: BMW Club Ride-Friendly TrackDays Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I hope its not breaking any rules to post this as a first-post but I hope it may be of some interest to at least some of the folk here.

The BMW Club are holding their usual Ride-Friendly road-bike-only track day series again this year. There are three days in total, two at Snetterton (9th May and 8th August) and one at Cadwell Park (20th June).

Whilst track riders with lots of experience are welcome, the main aim of these days is a more relaxed event built around first timers and intermediate-skilled riders who would like to increase their riding confidence. We have many instructors available for free on each day (15 or so most days) including some that specialize in novice tuition. Novice riders can ride with and instructor all day or free lap at will after the first session. Less emphasis is given to aggressive track skills and more focus on line accuracy and track courtesy.

Any Make-Model of bike is welcome too - You don't have to be a BMW Club member and we don't canvass for membership on the day either.

To promote the more social side of things, at the Snetterton dates, there is normally a BBQ during the night before (Sunday night) and local overnight camping is available too. If camping is not your thing, there is a very reasonable hotel, very close to the track, good food and bar.

If you are interested in coming along or would like more information, please PM or mail me. There is a FaceBook group set up too, https://www.facebook.com/groups/RideFriendlyTrackdays/. I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Some extra info from our organizer Robert Bensley:

"The BMW Club is holding three of our highly successful track days in 2016. We will be at our usual venue, the Snetterton 300 Circuit in Norfolk, on Monday 9 May and Monday 8 August and then on Monday 20 June we will be at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire on the full circuit, subject only to our receiving enough early bookings.
All three days are open to all riders on any make of bike provided that the rider has a full motorcycle driving licence, wears full leathers while on track (securely zipped together if two piece) and the bike is road legal in every respect. It should be noted that a full size number plate is required, in addition, tyre warmers are not permitted.

Why choose the BMW Club for your track days?
If your motorcycling is primarily on the public roads and riding on a track is either an occasional pleasure or a first time experience, there are a number of reasons why you should ride with us:
• We are enthusiasts running a not-for-profit day with a “club” feel
• We restrict entries to significantly less than the number of bikes allowed on the track at one time so you get more track space than on a full commercial track day
• We have instructors who consider it a pleasure to ride with track novices and for first timers we have a maximum of 4 riders per instructor in the first session
• We restrict entries to road bikes only which we have found means fewer stoppages on these days so our participants get the full use of the available track time
• Instruction, help and assessment available to all participants at no extra cost
• Comprehensive safety briefing, with emphasis given to faster riders to look after the less experienced on track
• A full programme and timetable for the day, including guidance and advice for newcomers, issued in advance to all participants.
Snetterton, Monday 9th May & Monday 8th August
Both these days will run in our traditional format with 3 groups for Cautious, Intermediate and Experienced riders respectively. The emphasis in all three groups is to develop smooth and accurate lines.
The groups take it in turns to ride 20 minute sessions on track and each group is allocated 7 sessions in the course of the day.
For those not familiar with the way we run our track days, less experienced riders (especially those who have no previous track experience) start the day riding in instructor-led squads of 2, 3 or 4 riders depending on the information they have given us on their entry forms. They then receive individual debriefings and, if appropriate, are encouraged to ride the next session in the same manner, progressing to riding in front of the instructor as their confidence builds. The importance of following the “ideal line” is stressed over the need for speed. Beginners are welcome to ride with one of our experienced instructors for as much of the day as they want to.
We have several instructors and coaches with race experience who will be delighted to ride a session (or two) one on one with any participant who would like to develop their technique. You will be amazed at how much you can learn by asking an expert who knows the circuit to follow you for a few laps and then give you a personal debriefing.

Cadwell Park, Monday 20th June
For the last 2 years we have held a track day at Cadwell Park. It is a circuit that our instructors know well and at which we all love to ride. The Snetterton 300 circuit is probably the best “airfield circuit” in the country, and rides like the race circuit that it undoubtedly is.
Riding round Cadwell Park, on the other hand, is more like riding on a fast country lane which some kindly administrator has turned into a one-way road; this makes Cadwell an ideal place to develop your “real world” riding skills.
Our day at Cadwell Park will follow a similar format to our Snetterton days. Our commitment to full sessions of led laps for less experienced riders will still be very much in force.
You are invited
You don’t have to join our club to take part though you are most welcome to do so before, at, or after your event. We hope you will come and enjoy riding with us in 2016, in a relaxed “club” atmosphere, giving you the opportunity to develop your skills in a safe environment at two of the UK’s iconic motorsport venues.
A word of warning, track days are addictive! As one of our regular participants puts it, they are probably not as safe as sitting at your work desk, but safer than your journey to and from!
How much does it cost?
For Snetterton we have been able to hold the 2015 price of £130.
The price for Cadwell Park is £120.
Bookings can only be made by sending the organiser a completed booking form and we require payment in full at the time of booking. Booking forms can be downloaded from the Sporting Register page at The BMW Club web site www.thebmwclub.org.uk and are also available by email from the organiser, Robert Bensley, who acts for and on behalf of The BMW Club.

Robert Bensley
Sporting Secretary, The BMW Club
robertbensley@btinternet.com"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:39 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: BMW Club Ride-Friendly TrackDays Reply with quote

A better start might be "I've read the rules and I don't think this a problem."

An even better start might be "I've read the rules and asked a moderator/admin who said it's ok."

What do you find 'unrelaxed' about normal trackdays?

I find riding in the fast group with other track bikes tends to be more relaxed than an eclectic mixture of bikes and riders in novice/inters.

I have never seen instruction giving any suggestion of 'aggressive track skills' - sure, maybe if you're racing at a very good pace already, some tactics for block passes and the like might come into it. But until then, typically it's just how to ride fast generally, which tends to be about lines, smoothness and the like.

DPG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:47 - 26 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: BMW Club Ride-Friendly TrackDays Reply with quote

G wrote:
A better start might be "I've read the rules and I don't think this a problem."

An even better start might be "I've read the rules and asked a moderator/admin who said it's ok."

Thanks for the steer, I didn't think to do that. Although I did read the FAQ here: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21811 and it did seem to be specifically addressing my particular scenario, I'll make sure to ask the forum admin if I need to post again just in case "Private adverts for bikes/accessories are allowed in the Exchange & Mart: Bikes & Accessories, Offroad & Supermoto, and Racing & Trackdays sections.
Signing up specifically to post a classified ad in these sections is allowed as a new user.
" doesn't quite cover it.

I will be only too happy to remove the post if anyone finds it objectionable or offensive in any way whatsoever as it never my intention to upset anyone for any reason at all.

G wrote:
What do you find 'unrelaxed' about normal trackdays

On a personal level, having ridden and driven perhaps 20 or maybe 30 thousand laps around various tracks, I find trackdays neither relaxed nor 'unrelaxed'. I find them mostly enjoyable apart from the thankfully rare occasions where a red-flag is called due to injury. That is never good.
I particularly enjoy seeing a novice rider improving in a progressive way across the sessions during the day and the moment when they say "In that last session, I got it and it started to come together" another favorite is when an Inters rider who has pace but is a little unsteady asks for some help, is shown the way to go, and subsequently improves his stability and consistency lap-by-lap. Not to forget the riders who are kind enough to mail in after each event to say that they are more confident, relaxed and feel safer whilst riding on the road as a result of some track time that they would not have considered had we not run our days the way that we do.

But these days are not about me. They are about promoting confidence in first-time track riders and the "eclectic mixture of bikes and riders in novice/inters".

Reading my initial post I can see that I didn't explain the BMW Club Ride-Friendly Road Bike Only Trackdays well enough so I'll try to make a better job of it now.

The BMW Club Ride-Friendly Road Bike Only Trackdays are primarily focussed on track-novice's with road bikes although advanced riders are welcome as long as they have Road-Legal bikes and remain relaxed and courteous on track. The vast majority of attendee's ride to the track and we quite like that. It helps to maintain a more relaxed and non-competitive feel to the day.

When the BMW Club Ride-Friendly Road Bike Only Trackdays were first mooted we did a little research and found that potential first time track riders were put off track riding because the perception was of trackdays as aggressive, competitive affairs attended by advanced racers on high spec race bikes who would not be tolerant of inexperience.

Now, we know thats not true - most of the of the BMW Club Ride-Friendly Road Bike Only Trackday organisers, instructors and coaches ARE advanced ex-racers of varying types and so have mostly been there and done that, so we also knew that we needed to set our days up so that we can assure new riders that they won't be "getting in the way" or "only slowing everyone else down" or "getting shouted at by some bloke on an R1 for mucking a corner up". Its about building confidence in novice track riders and to support that, we try to make sure that the aggressive/competitive aspects of a normal trackday are reduced to be replaced with a more positive track experience. From all the feedback we've had over the last few years, it appears to be a successful model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1