Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honley (Zhongshen) RX3

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Honley (Zhongshen) RX3 Reply with quote

Hi All

Oh well, after 5 years, the Skyteam has gone, to a very happy new owner, to be replaced as my manky weather bike by this Zhongshen RX3 (Otherwise known as the Honley Venturer). First off, why has the skyteam gone, my last 125, well, I was keeping it going for 2 reasons, brother in law only has a CBT, and since failing his mod 1 twice, has become disheartened, so, has decided not to renew his cbt. Secondly, I was using the skyteam when the weather was bad, which is was great for, however, it was just too slow to use on the motorway, so, more than doubling my travel to work time Smile So, with no need for a 125 for the brother in law, I decided to get a 250, I nearly got one of these a little over a year ago, but ended up with the Mash.

This one, although I'm the first registered keeper, is not new, as it has been used by a dealership in Glasgow as a demo bike, and it does show, it was quite mucky, and had some damage, such as one of the crash bar welds broken, one of the skid plate mounts snapped, front brake lever scuffed, and some scratched on the crash bar. Anyhow, crash bar weld, and skid plate mounting fixed with some spot welding, the scratches & scuffs tidied with a touch of hammerite satin black, and then just a generally good clean.

The good news is, the bike runs well, and will enable me to use the motorway in the bad weather Smile

Anyhow, here's a couple of pics :-

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/RX3_2016_1.jpg

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/RX3_2016_2.jpg

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look very tasty. Let us know how it looks after 3k miles so we can compare it to the multistrada in the other thread Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well, it's already got 2k on the clock

Cheers

Tony

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:45 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a proper bike! Normally you can spot a chinky bike a mile away. I looked at it without reading and first though it was a Tiger 800 then a BMW of some description.

AHHHHH MUCH?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Spoke to Earnshaws recently, the latest version is for sale at ~ £2900 otr

This was 2400

Cheers
Tony

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:06 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the one I sat on at Ride On, Hillington. I liked it and was surprised how much it felt like a proper bike. Comfy too. Didn't have time for a test ride though.

Good luck and happy miles Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:12 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that with the boxes and engine guards? Sub £3k is an attractive price point I hope it is reliable Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yep

That's with the bixes & engine guards. If you have a look on chinariders.net Loads of stuff on their, plenty of owners stateside, can't seem to find many if any bad comments about the bike.

Cheers

Tony

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike looks impressive but if this is their only and official website (Honley) then it would be a no no from me at any price point.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah probably the one you sat on Ride On, as that's where I got it from. Also, if you look at the CSC website, they have produced loads of tutorials on performing your own maintenance on the bike.

As for the Honley website, not sure what the problem is. It lists the basics, enables you to locate dealers and has contact details.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:46 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
AHHHHH MUCH?

No no no, wrong question! The only correct question is this: How fast does it go mister??

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
As for the Honley website, not sure what the problem is. It lists the basics, enables you to locate dealers and has contact details.

The website is exactly that, basic. Basic and the bare minimum required to put something together that looks like a website I'd say.

Removing the wix branding would be a good start. I mean making a website with wix when you sell products for thousands of pounds is slightly questionable to me anyway in consideration that it wouldn't go a miss to pump some money back into the advertising and marketing side of your business but I'll call it maximising profit and leave it at that, cleaning up their image and making it look a little classy is all.

Removing the parts of the website that are not finished would be another. For example the parts section of the website meanwhile lists what it needs to does not actually work in that when you add an item to your basket it comes up at £/$0.00, of which isn't exactly helpful. Sure it's nothing a dealer couldn't get around but could do with brushing up. I'd call the fact that they're showing signs of actually selling their parts to anyone and everyone a good initial sign, although to counter that I'd say its in its early stages.

Fixing their home button would be another.

On the whole my issue with the website is the overall poor brand image and the lack of professionalism. The website as it currently stands to me just screams as a business that isn't currently in it for the long haul. Doesn't exactly make me want to part with my any amount of my money.

Nothing that can't be fixed. Will be interesting to see how the brand develop and how the bike works out for you over time. Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The website doesn't bother me, I have spoken to them, and they seem perfectly approachable. There are many poor websites around, including plenty that rely entirely on ebusiness. I don't disagree that their website can't be improved, but to me, not really a show stopper.

Also, the owner manual that comes with the bike is pretty comprehensive.

I think Honley have distributed the RX3 for around a couple of years now, and it's been available in China since around 2013. The RX3 has a large, and very active following in the states.

Also, Honley's badged 125's seem to get pretty good reviews as well.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: Honley (Zhongshen) RX3 Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
, I decided to get a 250, yadda yadda yadda yak yak yak!
Anyhow, here's a couple of pics :-

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/RX3_2016_1.jpg

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/RX3_2016_2.jpg

I `ve looked at them a couple of times on thief-bay and thought "hmmm interesting"
I like to know how it copes in traffic, how easy the maintenance is and what it`s like to get spares for?
Keep us updated on how you get on with this, including the bad bits Thumbs Up
How supportive/widespread/established is the dealer net-work?

How does it cope with dragging a European Westerner about rather than a lighter Asian/Chinese rider.
The reason I ask is that I am a fatty and if and it would be a big if I considered getting one, I want it to drag me about without struggling to much Shifty

I own a Hyosung (not Chinese) so I am fully aware of how hard it can be to get main dealers and just bike shops in general to engage with you and work on your bike if you need them to Evil or Very Mad if your bike is not a mainstream brand.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'll keep updating, again, I reckon if they seem to be abe to happily drag americans around quite merrily, then, a european westerner should be fine Smile .

At worst, there's plenty of spares on Tabao, Aliexpress and also CSC in the states seems to have a really good reputation over there, and a good source for spares/upgrades. Already, I ordered reuseable wire mesh oil filters from tabao, to use, rather than the disposable paper based ones.

So, even should there be issues over here, such as should Earnshaws stop importing the bike, I'm not overly concerned. I also have a very good, amenable garage within walking distance, that I've dealt with pretty much from day 1, in fact, not knowing they were local, but when I went to take my practical test, the proprietor was there with one of his students, and he gave me some pointers, that he hadn't needed to. Should the need arise, he's always been happy to work on any of my bikes, irrespective of manufacturer, granted, so far over the years, it's only been MOT's, and brake pad replacements, oh, and replacement forks on my GS after I came a cropper on the M6. I'm also, quite lucky, as I also know a local mechanic, who has a speciality in spoked wheels, so much so that the local HD dealership outsources their wheel work to him, and I also know a good local body shop repair garage, that will happily do any welding I might need.

So, all in all, I'm happy with my bike choices, the only 1's I've had reservations about have been my Diversion & Triumph

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at these before, and I was quite shocked that it's no lighter than my zx9r. 187kg for a 250 with ~25bhp?

Maybe if it lost 50kgs and had proper 18/21" wheels instead of the frankly odd 15/18" setup, it'd be more attractive to me.

Looks the part though.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
I looked at these before, and I was quite shocked that it's such a heavy old bus for a 250 with ~25bhp?

Maybe if it lost 50kgs and had proper 18/21" wheels instead of the frankly odd 15/18" setup, it'd be more attractive to me.

Looks the part though.

As it has spoked wheels, could the rims not be changed? wadda rekon?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
So, all in all, I'm happy with my bike choices, the only 1's I've had reservations about have been my... ...Triumph

Probably because America.

Liking the looks of your bike btw but I'd be a bit happier with a bigger rear wheel with a lower profile tyre.
You're almost in VanVan land with that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Well I did replace a v-raptor with it Smile You can change the wheels, can also order alloys as well, they're listed on tabao

Cheers

Tony

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first glance it doesn't look very Chinese but usually with chinq bikes time will tell. Im guessing that if the chinese stopped making those horrible 125 supermoto lookalikes then their reputation may improve

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Time will tell with any bike, chinese or not. As you can see I've owned numerous chinese bikes, without any worse appreciably problems than with my non chinese bikes, be it mechanical, electrical or cosmetic

Cheers

Tony

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 27 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Americans seem to like them.
Enough to take them on a 5000 mile trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV94X6iptZ4

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 27 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are ok bikes. Pretty fast even two up (both 14st). The suspension and handling is decent.

Two main problems is expect to change the fuel filter often. The petrol cracks them.
And the fuel injection is poor. Itll stall the bike out a lot sadly.

Enjoy it. Not bad for the cash.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Well, finally a bit of time today, so I gave it a quick service, as the reuseable stainless steel oil filter arrived today that I ordered of Tabao, plus, I don't really trust that the dealer I got it from, really did do the services they say they did.

Simple enough to do, after which i took it for a 70 mile spin, some motorway riding (M54/M6/M5), and then some normal roads. It handles motorway speeds fine, nice and nimble, so it filters well. Oh, I'll keep an eye out for the stalling, I'm quite used to that, as my America used to stall quite a bit, usually when slowing down, such as when coming off the motorway.

Cheers

Tony

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 02 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a cure for this stalling problem?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2