BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1998 TDM 850

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

barclay03
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:41 - 24 Mar 2016    Post subject: 1998 TDM 850 Reply with quote

The story behidn this one is a little longer. It belongs to my dad, he bought it new back in '98...the day it was being delivered he chopped his finger off at work. Cue the TDM sitting in out dining room until he was able to ride again lol

After only 50 miles on the road someone pulled out infront of him at a junction...landing the bike upside down on its seat and handlebars.£3k worth of repairs later it was back on the road. He rode it all year regardless of the weather, so it did meet the ground once or twice in the ice.

The last i recall him riding it was in 2002, it got put in the shed and never came out again. Occassionally being started up at first but eventually kind of forgotten about. My brother took it a few years ago with the thought of putting it back on the road but done nothing with it...now its in my hands. Unfortunately my dad now suffers medically and requires oxygen etc so Im not optimistic for him ever getting the chance to ride it again, but i will do the work an make it road worthy again.

Pics...

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Barclay03/Xr125/TDM/IMAG0928_zps6lkxeifz.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Barclay03/Xr125/TDM/IMAG0929_zpstsspo006.jpg

Tank off to to have a look at the very stuck carbs...

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Barclay03/Xr125/TDM/IMAG0933_zpsiwinucts.jpg

Nice low mileage lol

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Barclay03/Xr125/TDM/IMAG0936_zpsvjhf31m8.jpg

As you can imagine everything needs free'd off from lack of use, but thanks to sitting in a dry shed all this time theres very minimal rust etc thankfully

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:01 - 25 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking bike. Good luck with getting her back on the road again.

ondabike
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:27 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a new tdm 900 when they first came out , probably the most comfortable bike out of all the bikes I`ve had and plenty of torque Thumbs Up

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:30 - 10 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently riding one of these as a daily,
they sound awesome with a decent exhaust system because of the 270' crank.

my only advice as to the resto, is the carbs are a fucken nightmare to connect the cables, so disconnect both of them from the handle bars and pull them out, connect them to the carbs, then when carbs are in place, re-run the cables up to the switch gear.

also buy a new set of carb to engine rubbers.
they'll be fucked, and won't hold the carbs properly,

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:00 - 11 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Yamaha Bluespot calipers (just like the 900's) bolt straight on and provide a huge increase in stopping power. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1