2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yes - Into bikes & offtopic
61%
 61%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 44

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:02 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Splitting General Chat Reply with quote

The problem: The General Chat area is getting more and more crowded.

Option 1: Do nothing, just leave it alone.

Option 2: Split it into "Bike Chat" and "Off Topic". This is, after all, supposed to be a bike forum.

Option 3: Split it into several specific areas, if you vote for this option you also need to suggest what those areas should be!

Looking for your opinions, please vote and feel free to comment...

Last edited by Korn on 14:39 - 02 Sep 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:21 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bike Chat" and "Off Topic" make sense.
If you have more than that I get a feeling the mods will spend half their time moving threads from page to page and getting whined at by posters who thought they'd put them in the right place, etc!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:22 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just split it in to general bike related chat and other off topic mumblings otherwise we could end up with too many 'chat' areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 16:26 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike and off topic sounds like a good idea, general chat is becoming a bit unreadable of late just due to the volume of threads and replies being posted.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:30 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Some people whinge that there isn't enough bike talk, others find bike talk a bit dull after a while.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 16:34 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Option 2: Split it into "Bike Chat" and "Off Topic". This is, after all, supposed to be a bike forum.

Sound's good to me. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:35 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense and will stop the "awww but no one talks about bikes in here" people moaning. Thumbs Up

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:26 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave it alone. As it stands you don't have to read a post if you don't want to. If there are 2 seperate areas then it will just take longer to read, as well as longer to moderate.

If its not broke, don't fix it.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:01 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto that
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 19:04 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted wrong, sorry, I meant into bikes and off topic, not specific! Embarassed

There is a lot of stuff in general chat these days that I either don't want to read or see a full page containing new threads and just hit mark all topics read, I doubt I would do this as much if it was in 2 seperate sections.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the more I think on it, the less I like the idea. The forum is still not too busy to handle, and look at workshop/new bikers - how often do you read them? How will a thread which starts about bikes but goes general be treated? Or vice versa? Maybe introduce some cute little bike icons or something so people can mark the bike threads. Laughing

I say leave it be, and rethink the FAQ forum cos it's a mess. Smile I'll volunteer to sort it out if no-one else is going to, as it could be a valuable resource. I have ideas...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:01 - 19 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ forum does need sorting. I'd be okay doing that as it gives me something to do if nothing else. Laughing

Chances are, the more different forums there are, the more threads will get posted in the wrong place and then need to be moved by the moderators to the correct place. Would be interesting to perhaps try it for a week or two then see how that goes to see if it's a good way for the forum to run. Thumbs Up

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:02 - 20 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a relative newbie but I say leave it be.

You've created a great community here. The main reason that made me stick around after my initial visit was the eclectic nature of topics in general chat. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:43 - 20 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
FAQ forum does need sorting. I'd be okay doing that as it gives me something to do if nothing else. Laughing

Right - get permissions off Korn and do it then. You talked about it weeks and weeks ago and nothing happened.

I say get shot of the submissions/comments forum cos nobody understands what it's for. Post RFCs in general where people will see them, then simply cut n paste the good bits into an article in the FAQ. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that IMO.

Then, when there are 'definitive' faq entries on certain topics, people can be pointed towards them on receipt of newbie questions.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say leave it as it is.
I think we have enough different sections on the forum, it just becomes a pain in the ass if you have too many.
Penny Coin Penny Coin

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:20 - 20 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'm having 2nd thoughts on my vote. I originally said leave it as it is. There are quite a few sections as it is.

But the one thing that does seem to be a problem is that only a days worth of topics seem to be on the first page. I don't know about any of you lot, but I never click to see what's on the 2nd page. So someone that could have a vital answer to a topic you created might well miss it just because they are away for one day.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:37 - 20 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
it just becomes a pain in the ass if you have too many.

It does also become a pain when there are loads of thread appearing all the time and trying to go through them all becomes a bit harder. Would make it easier to manage in seperate forums, not really sure and I reckon lots of posts would get put in the wrong one meaning more post moving needing to be done by mods. Try it for a week or two and see how it works would be the easiest way to decide I think. Thumbs Up
Bendy wrote:
Right - get permissions off Korn and do it then. You talked about it weeks and weeks ago and nothing happened.

Okay. Smile Korn, can I have permission to use the FAQ forum then. Mr. Green

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 11:15 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should Split them as i'm generally not interested in the Non bike topics , So would make it easier to filter through Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive seem a great number of forums where they have split it to general on topic and general off topic, noe normally dies, new users dont have a clue whats going ont he the mods normally end up working non stop to shift all the threads about.

Now the section is nice and busy, if slightly chaotic. this is better then bitter, and filled with those comaplaining about stuff being sorta possibly maybe in the wrong forum.

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 25 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've voted "Yes - Into bikes & offtopic" Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 27 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone with a no, at present general is a nice mix of bike/random stuffs. 'Filtering' isn't really an issue as most of the time it's fairly obvious from a thread title what it's going to be about, and the mouseover settles the score if your even vaguely confused before clicking it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:33 - 27 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does work the way it is, but I reckon it would work better split as I said. Reckon the best way to decide/ find out would be to try it for a week or two, can put it back after if it doesn't work or can keep it if it works. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally I say split it, just because of the volume of posts in General at the moment.

All the best

Keith

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 22:32 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well splitting it up is just giving us another page of stuff to read, what happens then if these two become very cluttered, then we have a big problem!

On the other hand it does need sorting, I vote for the non existent pole of "General chat" and "Post your crap in here" option Wink!

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1