Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

some advice from the plod on filtering

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 31 Mar 2016    Post subject: some advice from the plod on filtering Reply with quote

I appologise but do not expect real filtering. Its just some gibberish with nonsensical captions all over.

The guy has panniers and is dangerous for himself IMHO.

You have been warned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybBKFtk6Zqw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:07 - 31 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this anything like the 'advice' from the filth I received that filtering at 30 mph isn't filtering but the imaginary offence of 'overtaking in a built up area'?

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 31 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the police can catch you for filtering, you aren't filtering fast enough.

Other than that, avoid cars, be wary of gaps and look for indicators.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

made sense to me, don't go more than 15mph above the speed of the traffic you're filtering through being the only thing on speed, the rest being how not to get pancaked.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:06 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good advice, refreshing to see Plod not being all nannyish. Val, what's wrong with it?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Is this anything like the 'advice' from the filth I received that filtering at 30 mph isn't filtering but the imaginary offence of 'overtaking in a built up area'?

In the videos he says you shouldn't filter at speeds greater than 15mph more than the surrounding traffic, whilst respecting the speed limit for the particular road.

https://youtu.be/ybBKFtk6Zqw?t=25

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the clips rolled on this fuckwit got his oar in.

Vlogger-arse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7oOPYiGB8

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked his advice on sitting back from the lead car and not jumping out in front on junctions like that with no island to protect you.

You only ever need to see an articulated lorry turn left/right from the crossing road on you once, to know you fucked up.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
as the clips rolled on this fuckwit got his oar in.

Vlogger-arse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7oOPYiGB8

Is that a fkin drinks holder?

I stopped after spotting that, it was just after he talks about people moaning that he don't wear gloves. The guy seems an absolute moron.

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:08 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the greater space is between the stationary traffic and parked cars than it is on the outside of the stationary traffic? I was having this conversation with a fellow biker who reckons it's illegal to filter on the inside of stationary traffic.

This is the road in question.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0034167,-3.8131997,3a,75y,298.89h,79.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saQUEp9UdKFmA6qB4Mslnuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:58 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the traffic is Stationery it very iffy if it is moving it is at least without due care Don't pass on the left it kills motorcyclists just like cyclists
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parson wrote:
I was having this conversation with a fellow biker who reckons it's illegal to filter on the inside of stationary traffic.

Then he'll be able to cite the offence, the Act that creates it, and the regulations that define it.

He won't, of course. Filtering is overtaking, so you could argue that you're not "supposed" to go up the left, but that's advice in the Highway Code, not an offence. Does it also apply to pushbikes? Why doesn't it apply to going down the middle of two lanes of traffic?

There's way too much flapping and fluttering about going up the inside. Sure, door zone, junctions on the left, y gunna die. But go up the outside and there's u-turns and junctions on the right. All filtering and all overtaking is inherently risky. Just pick the level of risk vs reward that you're comfortable with.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:11 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anyone being nicked for filtering on the inside. I've been doing it for 30 years in London. The risks are obvious, you need to do it very cautiously at first. When you gain more experience your powers of observation will improve and you can up the pace a bit. Practice makes perfect.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I've never heard of anyone being nicked for filtering on the inside. I've been doing it for 30 years in London. The risks are obvious, you need to do it very cautiously at first. When you gain more experience your powers of observation will improve and you can up the pace a bit. Practice makes perfect.

Has to be done, at times, to get into Cambridge. Else stuckity, stuck, stuck. Evil or Very Mad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last contact with the filth I mean police, involved a police motorcyclist forcing me out of a right hand turn lane (so he could pull alongside his mate), having a go at me for filtering, then chasing me with blue lights on so he could threaten to give me a ticket...

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:52 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:

This was my opinion, be aware of the risks. Someone did open their door on me, but I saw it and the speed I was doing allowed me to safely stop.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1