BCF Spain 2016 Trip Report [55MB DATA]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
Also, is that a Pegaso that I see? How well does that work, a 660 single touring with 4cyl 600s and 1000s?

Valiantly.

There wasn't a great deal left of the big end afterwards though, was knocking like a good'un.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
I normally read your trip reports wishing I could have come along, but reading this one I'm not so sure!

It sounds worse read in one go. Overall it was a very good trip.

.Chris. wrote:
Also, is that a Pegaso that I see? How well does that work, a 660 single touring with 4cyl 600s and 1000s?

Its a struggle. When dealing with such large power differences you really have to push it to keep up on the motorway, and in the twisty bits you dont have a chance.

Luckily the Pegasso shat its big end so it gave us all a chance to catch up.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Matt. It does sound like a pretty bad trip read in one big write up, but overall I really enjoyed it (probably because I didn't have a comically slack chain for the whole trip this time).

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What an epic adventure!

Glad to see you boys were keeping up foreign relations. Thumbs Up
Thanks to you, if the UK don't vote for Brexit, the French + Spanish will just kick us out anyway Very Happy

Fantastic photo's and videos! The road of death looks incredible......and quite scary, I definitely need a few more miles under the belt before attempting such madness. I target fixated at the 1,000ft drop just sitting at my screen Shocked

Great writeup Matt! Three things stuck out in my mind:

1. Excellent resourcefulness as usual everyone.
2. Matt, you need to stop smashing mirrors, opening umbrellas indoors, walking under ladders and crossing black cats. Although, on the other hand, you were quite lucky the feds didn't bust you for transporting shrooms over state lines Smile
3. How the feck was that out of the three Triumphs, Monty's was the one that didn't break?!?

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
Great write up.. The trip however sounds like a bit of a disaster Crying or Very sad

hahaha, are you kidding, trip sounds standard BCF awesomeness Mr. Green

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:07 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: epic trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up, enjoyed it muchly Smile

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a couple of the other guys. Reading it all in one condensed thread I guess it does come across as a bit of a disaster, but spread over 12 days most of the time it was really enjoyable. It was a bit of a nightmare at times (particularly for Paris2, who probably had worse luck than me to be honest) with the constant bike problems/lack of bike and incompetent breakdown company trying to sort him out a solution on both occasions.

We couldn't of even predicted the problems with his bike though. It was one of the lowest mileage and best condition bikes on the trip and he'd done loads of servicing work on it with a few of us a couple of weeks before the trip to try and avoid any of problems, it was just really crap luck. The first breakdown was at the end of the day, less than an hour from the hotel and just required us to wait in a carpark outside a supermarket for a few hours. The next morning we had the parts and got it fixed and they caught up with us not too long after we got to the Pamplona hotel that night.

The Pamplona crash and fines were a bit of a pain, but it was all over and done with in an hour and wasn't too expensive for the couple that got fined.

My incident was definitely quite expensive but i'm still glad I went. Once I knew what was happening I was okay with it, the waiting and not knowing what i'd do with the bike until we got a plan sorted out was the main stress, but it didn't impact the trip for me too much in the end. I missed a few sights around the hotel-town the following day, but I got to walk around Zaragoza in the meantime which was interesting. I missed the days ride leaving Barcelona to Montpellier (which I would of really liked to do), but again I did enjoy getting to go around Montpellier for the day until everyone arrived.

Even after the second breakdown, Paris2 managed to ride on my bike/pillion on _ Troy_'s for the majority of the trip and only missed the day's we had horrible weather in France until he met us again for Bayeux and Cherbourg.

Last edited by -Matt- on 22:18 - 25 May 2018; edited 2 times in total

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

3. How the feck was that out of the three Triumphs, Monty's was the one that didn't break?!?

I'll have you know that my bike is maintained to such impeccable standards, that it was constantly leaking oil every time we parked up, due to me over filling it. Never had to top it up though. Was thoroughly impressed.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I love it.

Normally I have terrible luck when I go away on the bike but I love the sense of no one panicking while all of this was going on that I get from reading that.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see the pics and read the trip report. Thumbs Up

Was that Irish mould/mushrooms on your wetsuit by any chance Matt? I had to put my leathers and boots in the washing machine with some antibacterial liquid after that trip, as they stunk to high heaven after getting thoroughly soaked. Sick

Let me know if you have any UK trips planned this year, as going abroad is going to be a bit too costly for me this year, after having to buy a new bike and do tests.

I'll probably do Scotland in the summer (does Scotland have summer Thinking ), if yourself or anyone else wants to tag along.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 08 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to put my leathers and boots in the washing machine with some antibacterial liquid after that trip, as they stunk to high heaven after getting thoroughly soaked.It actually would be thinking about it Last time I used that rainsuit was in Ireland. It was absolutely horrific, that picture doesn't do it justice. The velcro on the collar had half-rotted and disintergrated due to mould. And all the other velcro tabs were covered in thick spores as well as the suit itself. It smelt like a corpse for most of the day even with a windmask pulled up around my face

Last edited by -Matt- on 22:19 - 25 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Trip report

things happen..
bearings collapse .. even on newish bikes.. like ZZR14
people get lost and go wrong way on one way systems ..
get caught speedin in foreign countries..
minor spills occur ...

this is called character building ....

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was, as the others have said, not as tragic as it sounds. 11 bikes doing that kind of mileage and things are bound to go wrong. I think what made it worse this time was that the issues had more of an impact and became a greater inconvenience. Being down 2 bikes and busting felons out of the slammer was a problem.

From my perspective it was still a good trip. Not as epic as last year, but still good.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160322_08_41_46_Pro_zpsxpi5mg1g.jpg
The ZX6 did a great job of touring - comfortable, economical (especially compared to the CBR Wink ), glad I took it.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/IMG_4986_zpsaht4v3f0.jpg
See how happy we all are here. The manager lady at the F1 Hotel in Saint Nazaire decided she wanted to take photos of us all for some advertising. No accounting for taste.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160324_10_52_53_Pro_zpsbbbxxint.jpg
For me, riding down through Spain was something I would happily never do again. Whoever said that Spanish roads are good was obviously in a very different part of Spain to us. They were dull, badly surfaced, packed with HGVs and went through landscape and scenery that looked positively post apocalyptic.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160324_13_29_24_Pro_zpsym1gihos.jpg
Also far too many Police.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160325_11_54_53_Pro_zpstoantofo.jpg
The hotel just outside of Barcelona in Sant Boi de Llobregat was a bit Fawlty Towers but positive luxury after the F1s. Nice pool to chill out around while waiting for -Matt- to get raped by Spanish magistrates.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160325_10_38_46_Pro_zpsoctqsfq3.jpg
Nice little town to stay in.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160326_10_45_55_Pro_zpspxgbflkw.jpg
And did a great line in hats that pretty much summed up the trip.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160329_20_05_13_Pro_zpsfwhve3mr.jpg
Took the kids to the park.

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/WP_20160329_21_29_49_Pro_zps6px6kssb.jpg
And ate many many burgers,

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
For me, riding down through Spain was something I would happily never do again.

maybe try the alps .. dolomites ...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one matt (and all). What was wrong with the Daytona in the end? If I read correctly it seemed like initial diagnoses pointed to bearing - then sourced one at a Suzuki shop, fitted it, but then banging noise continued. Thinking

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
What was wrong with the Daytona in the end?

It was the bearings collapsing, without a doubt.

The Triumph dealer fitted the new ones we sourced from Suzuki next door but there was some mention of "difficulties" whilst fitting them. It could have been that the bearing seats somehow got mashed or more likely that something happened to the inner spacer that put more load on the races when it was all tourqued up leading to a second premature failure.

I don't know if Paris has had it all apart yet to investigate, or just pushed it into a ditch and walked away.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/Spain%202016%20Eurojolly/IMG_4986_zpsaht4v3f0.jpg
See how happy we all are here. The manager lady at the F1 Hotel in Saint Nazaire decided she wanted to take photos of us all for some advertising. No accounting for taste.

Chris looks so displeased with this photo Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:19 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell Matt Laughing

Looks like fun. Glad I didn't go as there would have been countless arrests by the sounds of it Neutral

Awesome write up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

For me, riding down through Spain was something I would happily never do again. Whoever said that Spanish roads are good was obviously in a very different part of Spain to us. They were dull, badly surfaced, packed with HGVs and went through landscape and scenery that looked positively post apocalyptic.

Who planned the route? I sometimes get the impression that many of these BCF group trips are planned merely by arbitrarily picking destinations for no particular reasons, and then just joining up the dots with the most direct routes? If a particular destination has a lot to offer and is a good distance to get to, then I can understand it, but for me, such trips are as much about riding the routes as visiting places of interest. On this particular trip, I'd have probably looked more at exploring the mountain roads in the Pyrenees.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all planned it as a group a few months ago. Once we decided we weren't getting the Spainish ferries it was a case of picking west or central France basically, so we split that both ways. The west side was nice and had lots of nice towns and a fair few good roads (mixed in with motorway sections to cover the mileage). The way back up was more motorway but we'd planned it that way as we knew we'd be wanting to get back by this point. There was still a lot of nice roads on two of the French days but the weather was so terrible it spoiled quite a few of them unfortunately.

The initial plan had been to use the Barcelona hotel as a base to travel out to the Pyrenee's one day, Andorra another day and possibly down to Valencia - with the remaining day for Barcelona City but we ended up deciding it was all going to be too much and just turn into another endless riding trip - lots of the days would of worked out at 8-10 hours riding/out on the bikes factoring in stops and breaks etc.

We were just happy to have a static base and chill out around Barcelona area off the bikes for a few days this time really, although I had slightly more time off mine than planned. We could of diverted across more towards the Pyrenee's on the way down but it would of meant adding in more hotels and losing the days in the Barcelona area with the added mileage. The Pyrenee's would of been a bit hit and miss this time of year too with the temperature and potentially snow in some parts still; it was incredibly cold once we got a little bit higher up in a mountain area for a short time after entering Spain before we got to Pamplona.

Last edited by -Matt- on 22:20 - 25 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Reasonable explanation

I see your points Smile
Can't arrange the weather, and smart not to be doing consecutive long days in the saddle.
Anyway, at least that's all the bad luck used up before Belgium Laughing

It is, isn't it? Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely fucking hope so Laughing Laughing Laughing

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Anyway, at least that's all the bad luck used up before Belgium Laughing

It is, isn't it? Shocked

Matt's bad luck resets after each trip.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:

Matt's bad luck resets after each trip.

Pale

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:

This is my favourite road, as linked in my sig. There was a lot of cyclists on it when you did it; less so for me. A couple of times, I'd go around a corner and find myself with an overtaking motorcycle heading towards me and the blind corner I came from Smile

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

When I first went to Spain 5 years ago, most of the roads were freshly surfaced. But the mountain roads see snow every year, and they deteriorate until they get wholly resurfaced. Last year we went along one of my older favourites, the N-152, and the surface had deteriorated to the point that you couldn't go too quickly in bends because of the number of tar bands. The coastal GI-682 was a new favourite in part because it wasn't nearly as high, but last year we just happened to arrive as they were doing side growth trimming, and the road was covered in twigs and clippings.

Those roads were my favourites because they have smooth flowing curves but aren't too fast. There were other roads - much wider with longer curves - that needed triple digit speeds to be entertaining. But that isn't really my thing, so I can't list them off the top of my head.

As to the scenery, I like roads that make me focus solely on the roads. The Pyrenees aren't as photogenic as the Alps; it's brown, scrub and brush. The roads in the Alps are, as a rule, a series of straights and hairpins - these, for me, are the most tedious and least entertaining roads of all. I can quite easily imagine never riding a bike through another Alpine pass ever again. There are some incredible sights in the Alps though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3