Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Enfield got carved up today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:21 - 23 Apr 2016    Post subject: The Enfield got carved up today Reply with quote

Cracking work.

https://i.imgur.com/yKlidbm.png

Woodn't let it stop me though.

https://i.imgur.com/D7CqUCR.png

A new cover's on order, but I may just leave it as-is - I rarely use the valve lifter anyway.

X-post from WHYDTYBT.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing brilliant. Me likey. I approve of the enfield.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, your Enfield appears to have crossed itself with a Morgan.

The grain of the wood follows the cooling fins on the engine. The man has standards.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:56 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now thinking it needs a light stain to bring out the grain, then a coat of varnish. Thinking

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What say you mr borg on the difference between the old and the new enfields? Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews.

Ive heard from some the new ones are unreliable etc.
Id love to hit big miles. Your enfield will but not sure about the new ones.

I like them all, though.

Im probably the only young guy with an enfield. Everyone else is too busy wheelieing at 140. That stuff bores me now.

Keep up the awesome bodges. Ill put pics up of my panniers (home made) soon

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So fancy Roger, if Mercedes-Benz made motorcycles, they sure would use your idea of implementing wooden trim there. Thumbs Up

mysterious_rider wrote:
Im probably the only young guy with an enfield. Everyone else is too busy wheelieing at 140. That stuff bores me now.

I'm not sure about the UK, but here and even in Germany and around, the RE's are quite expensive and the original bikes are quite rare. That would be the reason, as young people don't tend to have the money to obtain one and when they do, they rather get something made/designed in/for this century.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 08:38 - 24 Apr 2016; edited 1 time in total

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi roger, saw the post which made me have a look at the Manual by Pete Snidal , tell ya their a thing of beauty , not sure what the build quality is old and new you hear a lot of different stories but best to ask someone who's got one Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't use the casting - use the pattern Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. You don't see enough carpentry on motorcycles. Brings to mind the Morris Traveller.

Perhaps a little needs to be added, replacing other parts with carefully crafted wooden copies.
But That way insanity lies
https://www.idostuff.co.uk/Images/wooden%20motorbike/Wooden%20Motorcycle%20.jpg

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:16 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the cable/linkage for? Decompression?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:40 - 24 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
What say you mr borg on the difference between the old and the new enfields?

I can only speak to this one, an AVL / leanburn. I'm not convinced that it'll do big miles, not without a fair bit of replacement as well as maintenance. The sprag clutch is definitely fragile, mine (already replaced by the first owner) has jammed twice, fortunately not terminally. It can jam on a backfire even if you never use the electric start.

I love riding it, but it always feels like it's doing me a favour by getting there. That said, it's only actually let me down once due to a snapped clutch cable, and even that was owner-inflicted, it was pinched under the tank.

There's an interesting comparison of the engines here which makes a fair case that the new UCE engines are much better in every way. But then you read a lot of owners having noisy tappets, with no way to adjust them.

I guess time will tell, although I'm half tempted to bag a new one as I strongly suspect that Euro 4 / mandatory ABS will kill them off at the end of the year.

chris-red wrote:
Whats the cable/linkage for? Decompression?

Yes, although it's not a separate decompression system, it's a valve lifter. It's a fuss to use, reputedly fragile, and it feels it. The best use for it is to stop the engine without risking a backfire.

I'm only really dipping a toe in, stinkwheel is the chap for big iron barrel Enfield mileages.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 09:51 - 25 Apr 2016; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:39 - 25 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks exactly the same as the cover on the standard 350 bullet classic but with added valve lifter.

I can measure it if you're looking to get one without said device.

I even have a spare one kicking about, although at a fiver for a new one, it would hardly seem worth looking for and posting it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1