Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Permanently Exporting My Bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Permanently Exporting My Bike! Reply with quote

This is more "Tell" than "Show"!

Last week, with a tear in my eye, I waved a fond and hopefully short farewell to my FZ1-N.
I'm exporting it to Cyprus, somewhere I might be able to put it to proper use.
Anyway, I thought I'd document the process here.

To begin with I rang/emailed a few shipping companies, of the ones that replied I went with Anglo Pacific.  AFAICT it's an Aussie company with a worldwide operation.

First off I spoke to one of their employees, who went through the process of shipping and gave me a rough price for crating the bike, getting the crate in a groupage container, and sailing it to Cyprus, (a groupage container is a container shared by more than one customer).

AIUI the bike will be shipped on a "Temporary Export" basis, this means that I should be allowed to ride the bike out of the port when it arrives, without going through the full customs procedure.  I will then have six weeks to sort out the registration process, have the bike inspected by the Cyprus equivalent of VOSA, complete all the required paperwork and sort out the customs payments etc.

The price of the shipping process is based on the size of the crate the bike ends up in, in my case the shipper got the details from the internet and based their price on that.
You have to pay up front, they won't accept your bike until you hand over your hard earned, in my case the cost of crating and shipping came to £448, on top of this I've had to pay £131 insurance, against damage or total loss, based on a value of £4k, once IPT & VAT were added it's cost me around £770!
Having asked around beforehand, this was around the figure I was expecting.

Once the money had cleared I was given the go ahead to take the bike to one of their deopts, where it would be crated and sent on its way.
So last week I drove it to Trafford, to the depot.
I could have got the bike picked up from home but as I'm only 30 miles from the depot it didn't seem worth it.

The week before I had fitted a new rear tyre and had the bike MOT'd.
There is no MOT for bikes in Cyprus, so I'm not sure whether I needed to do this, the shipper wasn't certain either, so belt and braces!

A couple of stipulations for shipping were, there had to be a minimal amount of petrol in the bike, very difficult to judge, fortunately Mrs Suntan lead the way in the car, where I had a petrol can, so when we stopped I syphoned out as much fuel as I could.
There was no actual check on this, the guy in the depot just asked me how much fuel was left, I told him I guessed there were maybe a couple of litres, which he seemed happy with.
Secondly, the battery has to be disconnected, so seats off, unhooked the leads and taped them up with insulating tape, again the guy seemed happy with that.
Finally the guy did a visual inspection, for any damage, other than the odd stone chip he couldn't find any, so all good there.

The shipping company say the bike will be in Cyprus in mid June, which is where the fun will start, no doubt.

A couple of questions for anyone who's done something similar.

I'm not sure when to send off the "permanent export" part of the V5.
I'm inclined to wait until the bike's cleared customs at the other end, I can just imagine the shitstorm if, for some reason, I was refused clearance and the bike ended up back in the UK.

The insurance I have for the bike here is still running, I need to check if I'm covered for riding in Europe, if so I'll leave it so I can ride it out of the port at the other end.

No doubt you'll be wondering why, considering the costs involved, I'm doing this.
Well, second hand bikes are very expensive in Cyprus, as are new bikes.
The only official dealerships I have found are KTM & Harley and I'm not 100% sure they're official brand dealers.
AFAICT all bikes are, unofficially, imported.
Choice of new or secondhand bikes is very limited, the market is flooded with overpriced V-Stroms and Transalps.
A lot of bikes get ragged sensless and spend most of their lives bouncing around between wheelies.
If all goes to plan, my bike should hold its value in the secondhand market.
I should also mention a distinct lack of roads policing! Mr. Green

That's it for now, I haven't heard anything from the shippers since I dropped the bike off, so I'm waiting for a timetable and hoping they haven't sold it!

Last edited by Suntan Sid on 11:16 - 13 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs more commas Razz

Are the roads in Cyprus really that good? Also, I would've thought that on a litre bike, if you open the throttle too wide, you'll wind up in the drink in pretty short order Laughing

Interesting though, hope it all goes smoothly for you. When can BCF come to play? Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Needs more commas  Razz 

Are the roads in Cyprus really that good? Also, I would've thought that on a litre bike, if you open the throttle too wide, you'll wind up in the drink in pretty short order  Laughing 

Interesting though, hope it all goes smoothly for you. When can BCF come to play?  Very Happy

Well, once you get away from the coast, especially during the week, the roads are, virtually, traffic free.
The roads have fewer pot holes than here and there are some belters!

Random video, not that I condone this sort of thing, Mr. Green , but note the lack of other road users!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCtkwvKVQpw

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Random video, not that I condone this sort of thing, Mr. Green , but note the lack of other road users!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCtkwvKVQpw

Bloody hooligans Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ok, but you missed the important bit of my reply:

chickenstrip wrote:
When can BCF come to play? Very Happy

Dance! Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ok, but you missed the important bit of my reply:

chickenstrip wrote:
When can BCF come to play? Very Happy

Dance! Razz

Well, anytime you want really!

"Book Early" Thumbs Up

(Some of our younger viewers might not quite get that reference, thank you Sir Fred).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:50 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely have to come visit now I'm fully passport equipped Mr. Green

Bet you can't wait Very Happy

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for being a bit thick Mr Sid?
I don`t know Cyprus that well, although I have been to both the north and the south sides.
1000cc + smallish island = not a lot of room to open her up fully?

I looked at the video Thumbs Up .

I could look after it for you and save you the trouble of shipping it over there Laughing Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too thought an FZ1 was a bit much for Cyprus, but them roads are made of win so why not! Laughing

I've only used a Kymco Super8 and a Ford Fiesta 1.25 while on holiday over there, so I may not have experienced everything the roads have to offer?

Shipping costs sounded more than fair, and hopefully registration isn't too much hoop jumping at the other end either?

As you said a tidy FZ1 will due to rarity/availability keep a good re-sale value most likely, and a litre bike will be nice and un-stressed out there too.

I think there's too much potential in a place that gets that warm, for something light and fun for the twisty roads like an RGV250 to get all hot and bothered and spit out it's dummy, if not the power valves too? Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IOM = 572 sq km.
Cyprus = 9251 sq km.

There's loads of space, in fact, 16 times as much as the IOM, it doesn't rain for at least 9 months of the year, should move the races there! Wink
My NSR 250 was fun, but some of the roads you could be on WOT for quite a while, which could have the nerves jangling!
CBR600 was fun, so the FZ should be less manic!

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:37 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Cyprus Reply with quote

Couldn't you just ride it down and get the ferry from Alanya or would that work out more expensive? be fun though Very Happy

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Cyprus Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
Couldn't you just ride it down and get the ferry from Alanya or would that work out more expensive? be fun though Very Happy

Yes, you can get a bike or car so far, however, once you get to a ferry you cannot travel with your vehicle, that goes on one ferry and you have to go on another, weird, I know but that's how it is.

I know someone who's done it, with a car but it required months of planning.
I've also heard horror stories of what happens to vehicles on these ferries, the ferries are not geared up for private vehicles, they mainly deal in freight, there's a high risk of your vehicle being damaged, broken into or vandalised!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just been relieved of a further £151, for having a crate built.
I wasn't expecting this, I'd assumed it was in with the price, not a lot I can do about it really, the bikes in a container somewhere ready for loading, apparently!

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:18 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in North or South Cyprus?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikenipple wrote:
Are you in North or South Cyprus?

The Republic, the south.
Technically there's only the Republic of Cyprus, the northern part is currently illegally occupeid by Turkey!

expat200
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:49 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Permanently Exporting My Bike! Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
A couple of questions for anyone who's done something similar.

I'm not sure when to send off the "permanent export" part of the V5.
I'm inclined to wait until the bike's cleared customs at the other end, I can just imagine the shitstorm if, for some reason, I was refused clearance and the bike ended up back in the UK.

The insurance I have for the bike here is still running, I need to check if I'm covered for riding in Europe, if so I'll leave it so I can ride it out of the port at the other end.

I haven't done it for a bike but I did do it for my 78 Reliant Scimitar to Norway.

I'd say do nothing with the V5 until you have completed the import/inspection/registration process.
The registration people will definitely want the existing documentation to copy details from. My experience was that they took the V5 to forward the export notification to DVLC when they registered it.
Having a current MOT is probably a good thing as it means the technical inspector will concentrate more on identifying the bike rather than checking its roadworthiness.

I found the inspection was the worst part as they wanted loads of specifications which aren't on the UK documentation. Might be simpler for you as its a modern machine so presume that model will have a EU Cert of Conformity which should have all the specs on it.

Do you have any import tax or registration costs to pay in Cyprus? Import costs to here are crippling for anything even remotely new, although that's reflected in the 2nd hand market cost of bikes. Been contemplating it for a bit as the selection of machinery here is quite limited.

Anything over 30 years old comes in here essentially tax free (apart from 25% VAT) so might stick to something older.

insurance was simple as UK insurance covers you third party in EU plus some other countries (possibly Cyprus?) and as I was on UK plates for weeks I just drove it on my UK insurance until it was registered as Norwegian. I did need to have Norwegian insurance before they would let me pay road tax and get the number plates.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Permanently Exporting My Bike! Reply with quote

expat200 wrote:
I haven't done it for a bike but I did do it for my 78 Reliant Scimitar to Norway.

I'd say do nothing with the V5 until you have completed the import/inspection/registration process.
The registration people will definitely want the existing documentation to copy details from. My experience was that they took the V5 to forward the export notification to DVLC when they registered it.
Having a current MOT is probably a good thing as it means the technical inspector will concentrate more on identifying the bike rather than checking its roadworthiness.

I found the inspection was the worst part as they wanted loads of specifications which aren't on the UK documentation. Might be simpler for you as its a modern machine so presume that model will have a EU Cert of Conformity which should have all the specs on it.

Do you have any import tax or registration costs to pay in Cyprus? Import costs to here are crippling for anything even remotely new, although that's reflected in the 2nd hand market cost of bikes. Been contemplating it for a bit as the selection of machinery here is quite limited.

Anything over 30 years old comes in here essentially tax free (apart from 25% VAT) so might stick to something older.

insurance was simple as UK insurance covers you third party in EU plus some other countries (possibly Cyprus?) and as I was on UK plates for weeks I just drove it on my UK insurance until it was registered as Norwegian. I did need to have Norwegian insurance before they would let me pay road tax and get the number plates.

There's no VAT to pay, the authorities finally caved in to EU pressure and stopped it a couple of years ago.
I will have to pay an imort duty, Rolling Eyes , though.
Fortunately my bike is a 2006 and it's done 17500 miles which means it qualifies for the maximum discount of 95%, I'll end up paying €86!
On top of the port handling charges, around €350, There's a flat registration fee for any vehicle of €150.
We have a car in Cyprus and when we were insuring it I asked about a bike and t hey said I could add it to the car policy!

expat200
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:31 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Permanently Exporting My Bike! Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
expat200 wrote:

There's no VAT to pay, the authorities finally caved in to EU pressure and stopped it a couple of years ago.
I will have to pay an imort duty, Rolling Eyes , though.
Fortunately my bike is a 2006 and it's done 17500 miles which means it qualifies for the maximum discount of 95%, I'll end up paying €86!
On top of the port handling charges, around €350, There's a flat registration fee for any vehicle of €150.
We have a car in Cyprus and when we were insuring it I asked about a bike and t hey said I could add it to the car policy!

Those costs aren't too bad. Just did a quick check and for the same bike the import cost is £1250!

And that's including the 78% discount due to its age!

Plus of course 25% VAT on its current value.
Plus the inspection cost (was about £60).
Plus registration fee.
Plus cost of the number plate (owned by the state but you have to pay for it?)

Bargain!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been waiting a while for the tracking program to come up with something.
My bike is due to be loaded onto this ship, in ten days, it's the "Northern Monument"

https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/4/8/2/2393284.jpg

It's currently on its way to Valencia from Italy then back to the UK, according to a maritime tracking app!

If all goes to plan it should arrive here, in Cyprus, on the 26/06, fingers crossed.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this thread to find out Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a sturdy vessel.
When you look for the cheaper quote, you're happy when you realise that it's not going across on a raft.
https://kickasstrips.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/top-gear_1119733i.jpg

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Been waiting a while for the tracking program to come up with something.
My bike is due to be loaded onto this ship, in ten days, it's the "Northern Monument"

https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/4/8/2/2393284.jpg

It's currently on its way to Valencia from Italy then back to the UK, according to a maritime tracking app!

If all goes to plan it should arrive here, in Cyprus, on the 26/06, fingers crossed.

Thumbs Up

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:143709/zoom:10

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:143709/mmsi:211801000/vessel:NORTHERN%20MONUMENT

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the ship tracking, it's now in the Bay of Biscay heading for Valencia!
Hope they tied the bike down properly, in the crate!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet they're doing laps of the ship on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last sighted off the coast of Ibza! Cool

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet they're trying to get it drunk and feel it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3