Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted near Malta!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:55 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally gonna drop of an FZ6 Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approaching Crete!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Approaching Crete!

I'm starting to get jealous of your bike. Bet it's sunning itself on the deck with waiter service bringing it iced E95 cocktails at the nod of a fairing Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's in a crate, inside a container, so I doubt it's caught sight of the sun.
However, it was over 40 degrees here today so it'll be enjoying the sun sometime soon!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's about 160 miles from Limassol now, should be arriving at the port in 8 hours!
That's when the fun and games will start with the customs etc!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 degrees, it'll be melted by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I scoff at 40 degrees, just warming up! Cool

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 23 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to the shipping tracker the vessel arrived in the port, at Limassol, on time, this morning.
I've got no idea how long it takes to unload hundreds of containers off a ship, so I'm going to give it until Monday before I start making enquiries about getting it out of the port and back home.
Despite having to disconnect the battery, I still think it'll be flat, when it's reconnected, ever the optimist, Very Happy !

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a phone call, last night, from the the shipping agent.
The bike's been unloaded and is waiting in customs to be collected.
The agent said they are expecting some, unspecified, paperwork from the shipping company which they should have on Monday or Tuesday, so I should have it soon, fingers crossed.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconds out,round one:-

Got a call from the shipping agent this morning, to attend the customs office at the port.
Turned up at the alloted time, hung round for half an hour, then Yiannis, the agent turned up.
He filled out a form, in triplicate, which I had to sign, we then visited a couple of offices where the forms were stamped and finally left in someone's 'In-tray'.

I was hoping to at least see my bike, but that was not to be.
From what Yiannis told me, my bike will not be released until all the other goods in the container have been signed for, we are waiting for a car owner to turn up and sign for it.
I will have to go to customs again tomorrow, to collect the officially stamped forms, I signed today.
As long as the car owner has done his bit I believe I should be able to ride the bike away.
I can then ride the bike around on British plates for a couple of weeks, however within this period I have to take the bike back to customs were the vin number etc. will be checked.
Once that's done I can register the bike in Cyprus!

Anyway, other than the petrol driving there and back, today cost me €0.00, Cool !

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:31 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens with the UK plates/insurance etc.

Obviously swapping to Cyprus plates makes your life a hell of a load easier.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, BCF BBQ 2017 Cyprus edition?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:15 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:

Mate... I think you are right.. however the bikes aren't gonna get there Laughing

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Doovy wrote:

Mate... I think you are right.. however the bikes aren't gonna get there Laughing

If we start now, we can break apart our bikes and post the individual parts there... re-assemble when we arrive and sorted! Mr. Green

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
So what happens with the UK plates/insurance etc.

Obviously swapping to Cyprus plates makes your life a hell of a load easier.

Major update later, with, yer actual, pictures!

In answer to the question Paddy.
Right now the bike's on UK plates and insurance because, technically, I have 'temporarily' imported it.
The advantage of doing this is that I can turn up at the port and ride my bike out, as you would if you were doing a world tour, say.
I've now got a couple of weeks, with the bike in my possession and permission to ride it, before I have to reregister it in Cyprus.

If I'd done it on a permanent export basis initially, the bike would only have been released from customs once duty was paid, testing, taxing, insuring and reregistering had taken place!
It makes things easier for me!
The bike will not be returning to the UK!

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
The bike will not be returning to the UK!

Good. Bloody foreign bikes coming here, using our roads.

What f'king liberty.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:

Unfortunately you missed it, Suntan Sid, Tracey Suntan-King, Ichy & his wife, Debs, attended, a few weeks ago! Sad

Come over if you want, we've got a spare room!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconds out, round 2:-

As promised earlier, here are todays proceedings.
Phoned the shipping agent this morning and was asked to come to the port to sign some more papers.
Yiannis filled out another form, in Greek, which I signed, we then trotted off to another office were a girl stamped the form and checked my passport.
Yiannis said "that's it, you can collect you bike now", he told us it was in their depot being unloaded from the container.
We went to the depot, were I was given the bill for wharfage, basically handling and unloading the container. I was not sure how much this was going to be, the shipping company had been a bit cagey about this initially and the only figure I could find was €350. I had a feeling that this was the charge for the whole container which turned out to be correct, my fee was €60!
Once i'd payed up we were sent over to the warehouse where the container was being unloaded. They had just unloaded a small truck from it, when we got there.

There were two guys unloading, the guy in charge was called Brian, he spoke perfect Cypriot and perfect Geordie!
Once the truck was unloaded all you could see in the container was a temporary wooded partition, towards the back, this was removed with a crowbar, which revealed my bike in its crate, when I say crate it was actually a wooden cage, with piles of cardboard boxes stacked on top of it and around it.
Eventually, Brian got the fork lift into the container and removed the bike.
The wooden cage was dismantled, we did a quick, visual inspection and I signed it off.

I'd come prepared with a few bits and pieces including some jump leads, just in case.
First things first, I topped it up with fuel, removed the seats and reconnected the battery.
The moment of truth, ignition on, the fuel pump and Exup made the usual noises, so it was time to hit the starter, ......................which just clicked.
Wasn't too worried about that, it does this if it's been left standing for a while.
Hit the starter another 5 or 6 times before anything happened, but if fired as soon as the engine turned over, hoorah.
All that was left to do was ride it home, so I put on my gear and headed out of Limassol.
There was a small snag on the way home, I stopped for some petrol, filled up and went to start her up, nothing.
There was a lot of traffic and traffic lights in Limassol so the bike was running quite hot with the fan coming on when it should. When I went to start it up the temp was on 106, the lights are always on so there wasn't enough juice in the battery to start it.
I let it cool down for a few minutes and it started up.
It was quite a 'spirited' ride home, where the bike's now safe and sound, basking in the sun!

This is not the end, I still have to register the bike, I've got until 11th July to do this.
The bike will be checked over, if that goes ok, I will have to pay the import duty, (€???), the registration fee, (€150), the road tax,(<€100) and get it insured in Cyprus, watch this space!

Some pictures!

The revenue men live here:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsgbxxbkbr.jpeg

Shipping agents depot:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsrsvqxhlj.jpeg

Brian gets stuck in with the fork lift:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zps169k0gsu.jpeg

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsnth3lj2k.jpeg

Steady now, probably the most nerve wracking thing of the whole escapade:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsyfr6ai1n.jpeg

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsxwxufvbj.jpeg

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zps9ylqaw1y.jpeg

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsptnota9b.jpeg

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsya8dzsfx.jpeg

A beast is finally uncaged:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsxxyzld9r.jpeg

Some fettling pre start up:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zps6wgyndwx.jpeg

Home:-

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h105/DameCeliamolestrangler/image_zpsfoagkxjt.jpeg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even a disk lock? Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's chained to the metal stairs now.
Might get one before we leave!

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great read. Always fancied going somewhere hot to retire. Wife is from Sheffield and is not keen on the heat. Cyprus would be my choice. Lucky sod, enjoy it, it p1ss3d down all day here today.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconds out, round 3!

Today was all about paying the "import duty".

When I lived here full time, there was a bit of a stink regarding "import duty". Cyprus had been in the EU for two or three years and had just adopted the Euro, however there were certain rules and regs they were not following, one of them being "import duty".
The Cypriot authorities were charging VAT on the original purchase price of any imported vehicle, new or secondhand, even though the VAT had been paid in another EU country.
Just prior to the Cypriot "Bail in" debacle, in 2013, they relaxed one of these rules, bikes under 601cc would be duty free!
After they got bent over by the Troika they were forced to follow EU import regs!
To get around these rules they decided they would impose a new "import tax" based on emissions, basically this means that anything over 2 litres gets absolutely hammered. There are reductions for mileage and age, but if the vehicle has a high pollution rating, you'll pay through the nose!

So there was a certain amount of trepidation about todays visit to customs.
There is a calculator on the Cyprus government website, which I had used and had thrown out a figure of €86 of duty!
Having had previous experience of Cyprus customs and red tape I was, somewhat, sceptical about this amount and expected the actual amount to a lot higher.

Arrived at customs, met up with Yiannis who had a form for me to sign.
We then went into an office where they copied my log book. There was then a discussion about the location of the VIN, on my bike, some of this got lost in translation, but we got it sorted out in the end.
It turns out that the customs will only accept the frame number if it's stamped into the frame, (I thought this was standard practice), they will not accept a frame muber on a plate rivetted to the frame.
No problems there, a girl had a look at the frame number on the bike, then rubber stamped the form I'd got earlier!

Yiannis said, "all we have to do now is pay the duty", Shocked , well it turned out to be €85.33, hoorah!

We then took the receipt and form to another office where it disappeared for a couple of hours and was returned to me.

What does this mean? Well, I now have the forms to say that the bike has been legally imported and the duty has been paid.
All that's left to do is get a Cypriot log book and reg, this is easy enough with the paperwork I now have, this will cost me €150!

To anyone who asked the question why am I doing all this, here's why.
The customs at Limassol are about 20 miles from the house, which is in the mountains, when I rode the bike down there this morning, I didn't look at the speedo once and it isn't going to rain here for at least another 5 months! Cool

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconds out, round 4:-

Not so much running around to do today.
We went to see Poppy today.
Poppy has a small office and she will deal with any government paperwork for you, for a fee. She fills in all the forms then goes to the relevant government office queues up, sorts everything out, then hands you whatever you've applied for.
She knows all the procedures, so today we went and asked her about registering my bike.
Turns out I had to insure it first before I could do anything, it was still on the UK policy. So we went to the brokers who relieved me of €254.

There's just one more step now, tomorrow I have to take the bike to the Ministry of Transport building, with all my documentation, including my UK insurance documents, i'll meet Poppy there and she'll deal with the officials, I hand over a €150 registration fee, (same for any vehicle) and an as yet unknown amount for road tax and that's officialdom dealt with!

I'll then have to go to Poppy's mum and dads motor factors shop, hand over €10 for a new number plate and another €20 to Poppy for sorting the paperwork.

The unknown road tax issue is because road tax is based on engine size and CO2 emissions.
AFAIK the FZ1 produces 155.9 CO2 g/km, if I enter this and the engine size in the govt. calculator it comes up with a figure of €30, which seems way too low to me, I paid more than that for my CBR600!
Also there is no specific calculator for bikes, whereas there are separate calculators for different types of cars and trucks

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3