Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for Supermoto Advice :D Yamsr6 look here ;)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:15 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Looking for Supermoto Advice :D Yamsr6 look here ;) Reply with quote

Well the time has come for me to look into buying my dream setup, a supermoto Very Happy

I need advice on what bike to get, im going to be doing alot of road riding and commuting but also enduro, and of course, looking damn cool

Are they any offroad bikes i could transform into super moto that are either under 33bhp or could be restricted to it ?

whatever the bike, i want something with a bit of power, dont want to get bored soon ! 2 or 4 stroke hopefully with a powerband Smile plenty of acceleration but im open to offers of anything, and not too expensive, i have 2000 quid tops

Cheers all!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:38 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want much do you? Wink

A bike that springs to mind is the kawasaki KLX650. I saw one converted to supermoto rims, looked quite some tool. It would be a good balance, ie not too full on (so useable on the road) but with genuine off-road ability. 45bhp as standard so you wont be strangling it too much on restriction. Not really a bike with a powerband but LOADS of torque. You could be struggling to get a decent one for your money AND get rims built on etc.

https://www.mcpoolen.se/images/mc-kawasaki-93-klx650-blagron.gif

Another suggestion with sensible head on is the suzuki DR350. No need to restrict as it has 30bhp as standard (so bear in mind it will work as designed rather than having to strangle it with a restrictor, you even have some leeway for a bit of tuning). Very reliable, truly dual purpose road/trail bike. Only 90mph flat-out but you could get a pretty good one and fit some reasonably trick kit on it for your two grand. Insurance will be cheaper too. I rode one on dirt roads round Gran Canaria for a day and had a great time. Should hold its value well, you could ride one 'till your licence goes full-bore then sell it on.

https://www.motorsports-network.com/SUZUKI/dr350/dr3502.jpg

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 09:37 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fock me, you won't get much for £2000 mate.

The bike that mostly springs to mind is a DRZ400 - it'll do everything your asking for but your looking at least £3000 not £2000!

You could convert a DR350, I think they are spot on 33bhp, they don't look too bad, they are great for enduros and green laning, and would work ok as a supermoto, if a bit underpowered! But cheap

Or you could go DR650, KLR650 (smoto bob is selling one Smile)

All are good options but if you only have £2000 try to get a ready supermoto'd bike as converting them costs a shed load of cash £££ - for example, wheels, I'm trying to buy some for my WR400 and for wheels/tyres/discs/sprockets your looking at £1000 + Shocked

A husky TE410E could be a good idea if you find a bargain bike, bearing in mind with most enduros that restrictor kits aren't readily available from FI International, so you will require a local dyno centre to create a kit and produce a dyno graph for your insurance company.

HTH

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cheshiremotorcyclesalvage.com/600to750.htm

Look at the bottom of the page... KLR650 with Smoto rims... but tatty but will do the trick! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:29 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo that SV650 is tempting Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg off, that one is MINE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:49 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

Last edited by Sparks! on 11:50 - 23 Aug 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:49 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight ya for it! Cool Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:34 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talk the talk, but will you walk the walk! Cool

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 12:41 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, cheshire is too far and I don't have £1550 lurking around to spend on yet another bike Laughing let me know when you've bought that one though so I can go test ride it Laughing

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 12:55 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you honestly buying that heap? Razz Razz
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:04 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or how about a 125 supermoto, they are all around 33bhp anyway so no need for restriction.

I had this:

https://www.bikepics.com/photos/pics/cagiva-supercity0-94-bikepics-098319.jpg

It's a Cagiva supercity, it's the older one but you can pick the up easily for under £1,000.

I started to restore mine and got fed up half way through and sold it for parts, this is as far as i got:

https://www.bikepics.com/photos/pics/cagiva-supercity125-94-bikepics-181224.jpg

There's also an Aprilia MX125 that has just been released that look's like a lot of fun.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a waste of a Daytona! Rolling Eyes

https://www.cheshiremotorcyclesalvage.com/art/20040227/FullSize/dscf0161.jpg

£2350.

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:53 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams you had any experiance getting a dyno place to make a kit for you ? is it expensive ?

I sort of have a dr350 allready but i cant supermoto it, its a goose 350 Very Happy

I dont think i dig the whole sports bike thing, the riding position and stuff, feel so much more confident on a trialie Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
What a waste of a Daytona! Rolling Eyes

Yea, would look much better in the rubble pile behind Razz Wink.

Was suprised mark wasn't being tempted by it for a track bike Smile.

roozor:
Sounds like you want the moon on a stick Smile.

Something like the KLR will be heavy and not great off road or as a supermoto.
Also, 4 strokes singles don't tend to have power bands so much; with off road you generally want a decent spread of power for traction, rather than a kick in the arse bang.

I would look at something like a xr600, not tuned, with two set of wheels maybe. Won't look very 'bling' but will do most of what you want, providing you aren't commuting to far.

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol g, well i dont mind if its old the bike, so it gives me spare cash to do it up and buy the rims, i woudl of loved to supermoto my old suzuki ts125X , loved that bike Sad but i had to sell it for this goose

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 15:14 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

roozor wrote:
Yams you had any experiance getting a dyno place to make a kit for you ? is it expensive ?

I sort of have a dr350 allready but i cant supermoto it, its a goose 350 Very Happy

I dont think i dig the whole sports bike thing, the riding position and stuff, feel so much more confident on a trialie Smile

I was meant to stick it in dyno place to have it restricted but I've not done it.. what gets me, is my R6 when it was restricted, went faster than the WR does at full power.. yet it's legal for me to ride a restricted r6 but not a full power WR despite the power being similar.

My restriction is up in December and I chose not to pay £250 to have a kit made for such a short period, especially with the fact that the WR would just be slow as fuck restricted (probably only do about 60 lol)

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:29 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

so naughty yams ! best you'll get busted on you're last day of being restricted Razz

do you know for sure any off-roaders that can be restricted?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 15:40 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can all be restricted but most will need to be done by a dyno centre, most centres will do it just call them with the bike details and they'll sort it for you - costs approx. the same as the FI kits do

Check www.fiinternational.com and look at their restrictor kit lists to see what bikes can be restricted Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1