BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1997 Yamaha yzf600 Thundercat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:17 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original exhaust is beefy, heavy and sounds wimpy. i was thinking one of these...

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/_57-4_zpsqlrk2o2u.jpg

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/_57-1_zps6rinbebe.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously a slash cut jap can with a ricer style and size outlet? Please no!

The cat is from a time when a nice micron alloy race can would suit it. The other option is to colour match an anodized can if possible to the bodywork, so a red can on a bike with red in the paint job etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:15 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i could find one then it would be an option, Theres not much choice of exhausts for this bike it seems. i'll be sticking with the original for the time being i reckon

Sean

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:35 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new swingarm has been shotblasted and its come up nicely, with the exception of a bit of pitting left behind by the rust
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4543_zpsgfdblzmt.jpg

Ive coated the whole thing in hammerite rust protection, if the weather wasnt so shit then i could get it primed today Rolling Eyes
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4544_zpsnnossunm.jpg

and ive bought a rear wheel hugger from a breaker, the mudguard will protect my new paint from what flings off the wheel and the chainguard means i can carry pillion
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4545_zpsb6qkntdo.jpg

Sean

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:45 - 16 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swingarm has come up a treat Thumbs Up

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:19 - 16 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride_to_die wrote:
Swingarm has come up a treat Thumbs Up

Yeah im quite pleased, i find it surprising how well old rusty parts turn out after a shot blast... Gotta get some high build on it now and sand out any pitting, small dings and scuffs. Nobody's gonna see it but if i know its there then thats bad enough Razz

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the exhaust on mine with a Delkevic can & link pipe. In my opinion it looked and sounded great, but perhaps was a little too loud without the baffles in.

https://i.imgur.com/U7Er5T8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iABhejq.jpg

It was the only really non-functional modification I made to that bike, but I enjoyed it much more than the exhaust that came with the bike.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:17 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the 350mm can right? Looks far more subtle than the stubby delkevic ones, and suits the cat quite well i think

By the way, how much difference does that can make to the insurance? Because of course its a modification

Sean

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:03 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
Thats the 350mm can right? Looks far more subtle than the stubby delkevic ones, and suits the cat quite well i think

By the way, how much difference does that can make to the insurance? Because of course its a modification

Sean

Wouldn't declare. You'd take I off and bung standard on when insurance happened though. Or just tear it off Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I insured that bike with WickedQuotes under Equity Red Star. I declared all the modifications because they made £0 difference to the quote.

Other insurers differ with modifications, but it wasn't a power-enhancing exhaust in any manner.

And yep, that's the 350mm oval can. It's absolutely loud enough without the baffle in so I wouldn't consider one shorter.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, i'll get a quote for each before i decide whether to change the pipe. With the delkevic apparently the thundercat makes an extra 4hp

Sean

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
Cheers, i'll get a quote for each before i decide whether to change the pipe. With the delkevic apparently the thundercat makes an extra 4hp

Sean

Which you wouldn't notice as that would be if it was dyno'd and fiddled.

You won't use the 90+ it has anyway Thumbs Up

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:21 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

@J.M you were correct, i insured the bike today and the can wouldnt make any difference

Sean

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided on painting the arm silver in the end to keep it original, and i didnt want to chance the black looking shit. i had to paint it myself because i wanted to reuse the bearings Cool

I primed the part with both high build and acid etch paints and then coated with a silver Holts paint and lacquered. The colour is almost a perfect match for the original colour. very pleased, just gotta get it fitted now Very Happy

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4581_zpsbzzkq8zg.jpg

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/IMG_4579_zps1554ri68.jpg

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like new! Thumbs Up

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:40 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely cracking bud Thumbs Up

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:02 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, its turned out really well for a rattle can job. Im looking forward to getting it on the bike Thumbs Up

VFR Vince
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 23 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sean;

Sorry to hear about the crm, that was a sweet looking bike. There are some scumbags out there, and unfortunately a lot of us bikers have had similar experiences Thumbs Down
The yams looking great btw, and im sure that once youve put the same efforts into this bike it'll be awesome. Looking forward to seeing more pictures

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:38 - 24 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the crm was a cool bike. It was my first non 125 bike so i put a lot of effort and money into making it look how i wanted it to look, although i clearly made it stand out too much. Im just in the middle of an insurance claim for it at the moment.

I bought the Tcat because its less desirable for theives and much heavier to lift up. It was meant to be a bike thats ready ride, i didnt plan on doing any work to it but with me its never that simple Laughing

Sean

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 24 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Sean91 wrote:

Sean

Wouldn't declare. You'd take I off and bung standard on when insurance happened though. Or just tear it off Laughing

Never declared my can on the CBR and no questions were asked about it.

Don't know if I would've had a bigger payout had I done so, but i'm not really bothered at all.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:12 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging by my recent experience with insurance companies, I would've thought they would value the bike the same and you'd lose what you spent on the exhaust.
This time i want to be as transparent as possible so ive already asked if a new can would bump up the price, but ive been told that it wouldn't make any difference. they've also put some additional notes on my policy so i can declare the new can at a later date if i were to buy one and i wouldnt be charged the usual admin fees

Sean

VFR Vince
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
Thanks, the crm was a cool bike. It was my first non 125 bike so i put a lot of effort and money into making it look how i wanted it to look, although i clearly made it stand out too much. Im just in the middle of an insurance claim for it at the moment.
good luck with that, i hope you get a fair payout after all that hard work. On a positive note, the Thundercat is a nice step up from the chinq 125 that you used to ride Smile

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:41 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR Vince wrote:
Sean91 wrote:
good luck with that, i hope you get a fair payout after all that hard work. On a positive note, the Thundercat is a nice step up from the chinq 125 that you used to ride Smile
they're words apart. Funny thing is after fixing all the annoying little faults, its probably been a reliable little bike for someone. Until it has a failure of all the electrics of course, which on a chinq 125 is fairly likely

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:35 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just bought a carbon fibre 'Micron' can, its about 15 years old, unused for 10. good condition, nice quality can... however it doesnt look like any micron can ive seen before, usually they have a rubber gasket at each end rather than the rivets and that plate/badge with 'MICRON' etched onto it seems unusual too. any thoughts? Confused Smile

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/_57-1_zpsaito22ng.jpg

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/_57-2_zpshxnzls4y.jpg

Sean

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:10 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on the swingarm Thumbs Up
The only thing I can tell you about that Micron can stamp is that E13 is the country code for Luxembourg. Giving how things are going these stamps will be replaced with the flag of St George accompanied by a swastika.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5