Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Street Triple Rx, my week long test.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:00 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Street Triple Rx, my week long test. Reply with quote

A persistent problem with my Daytona resulted in Triumph wanting to take a look for themselves, so off it went to Destination Triumph in Wickham.
I am usually one to avoid main dealers, though a decent courtesy bike does take some of the sting out of a long and inevitably expensive repair.

The Rx sits above the R at the top of the range, bringing a few extras to the table as standard. Quickshifter, belly pan and the Daytona subrfame/seat unit.
I didn't even know this model of Street Triple existed.

And boy does it look good.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1755.jpg

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1753.jpg

The tail tidy, obviously would need to go. And the mirrors, all I can see is my elbows. Confused
Otherwise, in the looks department, it ticks every box. The usual trick parts are all here as expected, USD forks, gold calipers, shift light, braided lines. Cool
The Daytona seat unit looks superb, and really sets this model apart from the other Street Triples in the line up. With the addition of the standard seat cowl, it looks more like a streetfightered sports bike than an intentional naked.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1776.jpg

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1774.jpg

This feels faster than my (600) Daytona, as the torque is just there, wherever you are in the rev range. The gearing is also very tall, meaning you can ride in 1st for your whole journey if you never leave town.
I can imagine this being a wheelie machine, if you have more guts than me. Laughing

It sounds decent as standard, it would take me a while to get bored and put an aftermarket can on it. There is a great induction roar when the throttle is fully open too which is addictive, and comes out of nowhere! Twisted Evil

This is my first time using a quickshifter, and it is great at what it does. Lazy riding is the main advantage for a road bike though, making normal gear changes feel clumsy in comparison.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1769.jpg

The brakes are hit and miss. The front Nissins work well enough, though nothing exceptional. The rear Brembo however is useless, utterly. To the point where I stopped using it.

The dials are great. You are spoilt with a gear indicator, shift light, fuel guage and even a range among other programmables.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1771.jpg

The riding position is very comfortable, coming from a sportsbike.
The whole seating position and feel of it would make it a very easy bike to live with and use every day.
On a long run however, the lack of wind protection is very noticeable, especially cruising at outside-lane motorway speeds.

The fly screen does nothing other than look good, and catch flies.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1786.jpg

The Rx was suffering from some corrosion.
It had over 2k on the clock and is obviously an abused demo bike, but I still wouldn't expect to see this type of thing for a few more years yet. Thumbs Down

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1784.jpg

So the Street Triple does have its downsides, but it is now on my list of bikes to consider, though I would insist on the Rx model over the rest. Very Happy

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1773.jpg

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get that fence panel sorted out Thumbs Up

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Street Triple Rx, my week long test. Reply with quote

Interesting write up, thanks for posting. Thumbs Up

Paris2 wrote:
The tail tidy, obviously would need to go.

I've seen a few people say this. The standard number plate / indicator bracket is not a tail tidy. A tail tidy is whatever non-standard bracket you replace it with to give a cleaner, more discrete look. Hence the name.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:45 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's put there for C&U...Mines still got the full hanger because I cba to faff with a tail tidy and I don't look at the rear of the bike Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another convert then?

Agree about the rear brake being ineffective, but who needs it Smile

I was also surprised how lazy you can be with the gear position if you want, although I much more often find myself zipping up and down the gearbox for best fun, which is what I wanted in a second bike as the Fazer can sit in 6th all day if I'm so inclined. The Striple has the best of both worlds.

I do like that Rx though. Colours are nice, the Daytona tail unit looks good, and I can even forgive the slant-eye headlamps - getting used to that look now I suppose.

Can't be bothered doing anything to trick/tidy mine up though. I can even live with the crap mirrors.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
You need to get that fence panel sorted out Thumbs Up

Not mine, just some random's. Laughing

Alex A wrote:

I've seen a few people say this. The standard number plate / indicator bracket is not a tail tidy. A tail tidy is whatever non-standard bracket you replace it with to give a cleaner, more discrete look. Hence the name.

Ah, but you knew what I meant Dance!

chickenstrip wrote:

Another convert then?

Agree about the rear brake being ineffective, but who needs it Smile

I was also surprised how lazy you can be with the gear position if you want, although I much more often find myself zipping up and down the gearbox for best fun, which is what I wanted in a second bike as the Fazer can sit in 6th all day if I'm so inclined. The Striple has the best of both worlds.

I do like that Rx though. Colours are nice, the Daytona tail unit looks good, and I can even forgive the slant-eye headlamps - getting used to that look now I suppose.

Can't be bothered doing anything to trick/tidy mine up though. I can even live with the crap mirrors.

I must say I did get used to the crap mirrors, but they infuriated me for a day or two.
And I assumed the rear brake just needed some TLC, but the guys at the dealership said they're all like that Confused I wouldn't even count on it to hold me on a hill, was not impressed Thumbs Down

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet looking 206 there.

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow

Fireblade Thumbs Up

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:05 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:

I shouldn't have parked next to such a fantastic looking machine.
It got all the attention Crying or Very sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Aff wrote:

I shouldn't have parked next to such a fantastic looking machine.
It got all the attention Crying or Very sad

When I took my Striple for a test spin before buying, I stopped at a garage and some guy came over from his car and commented how nice the bike looked Smile

I don't actually mind not having a great rear brake. Stops me overdoing it in a panic situation......not that I'm saying I experience a lot of panic situations......what I mean to say is........oh, never mind! Laughing

And I was thinking about the mirrors out on it today. The right one I can actually get a reasonable view in, but they just look cheap and nasty. If I wanted to spend the money, I'd probably go for a nice quality bar end mirror. And a tail tidy. And a nicer looking can. And maybe the Daytona tail unit. But I don't want to spend the money Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs mirrors?

I've removed them from every naked bike I've owned. For one, it's easy enough to turn to look if you need to (i.e. shoulder checks). But more importantly, what does it matter what's going on back there? That's history. Forget about it. There's no point dwelling on the past.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Who needs mirrors?

I've removed them from every naked bike I've owned. For one, it's easy enough to turn to look if you need to. But more importantly, what does it matter what's going on back there? That's history. Forget about it.

It's a thought. I have run bikes sans mirrors in the past. Perhaps I'll try taking them off the Striple and see how I get on. It'd certainly look better without them.

Fugeddaboudit Laughing

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you. It's a mug's game.

Up ahead. That's the future. Focus on that. Until it's behind you. Then forget about it.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, pretty much 3k (fit in Feb) on the clock without those signs of corrosion. And if you think that the quick shifter is good for lazy riding it becomes stunning when you get the throttle against the stop and revs hit 12k.

It's not too wheely prone unless your giving it some on a lumpy section of road. When it does lift it's predictable and not really a drama

As said that induction noise is faster addictive, youth find yourself backing of and giving it a handful just fur that noise

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:15 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
As said that induction noise is faster addictive, youth find yourself backing of and giving it a handful just fur that noise

I found myself doing exactly this! Slowing right down just to throttle it and hear the roar Bounce!

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think it was the bike shouting MORRRRRR! dirty little minx...

They love bothering litre bikes in the twistys Laughing

Can, bar end mirrors, tail tidy and a little extra screen=

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11219728_10153408964353436_5738819827369445665_n.jpg?oh=e21937b8b620ca9b5520182033326620&oe=57C5F711

Ignore the mess, it's all slate chippings now.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:11 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it to be a bit twitchy to be honest, handling wise, and didn't have much confidence in the corners on it.

It might be that I wasn't used to it, but my bike seems to want to dive in to corners much more. Riding position maybe?

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the Rosso Corsas, I just couldn't get confidence in them so I went to the Metzeler Z8, I found those very neutral on the bike so it just did as it was told. I also had the suspension set to my weight and slapped some EBC HH pads in it.
A friend had the M7RR on his and after a quick bike swap I think they are the perfect tyre for this bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:57 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
I found it to be a bit twitchy to be honest, handling wise, and didn't have much confidence in the corners on it.

Mine was like that initially. I went from 36/42 to 36/38 and it felt so much nicer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1