BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Enfield.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: The Enfield. Reply with quote

Picked up my new bike today, an Enfield Bullet 350. Lovely bike.

https://i.imgur.com/C3OuhvI.jpg https://i.imgur.com/GYefscE.jpg https://i.imgur.com/Z1rC4JS.jpg https://i.imgur.com/mfn3xrR.jpg https://i.imgur.com/MZXiQI3.jpg https://i.imgur.com/oAtZmOH.jpg

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Now that looks in absolutely fantastic condition !! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it'll have plenty of character, it will however, keep you relatively busy, tinkering !!

Keep an eye n the breather pipe.

Cheers

Tony

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I swapped it for a Zzr 600 D1. No cash either way. Really happy with it.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is it

also pedals are backwards Laughing Laughing

looks very similar to my mates old one

https://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/andyscooters/Photo-0040.jpg

https://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb129/andyscooters/Photo-0041.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine question, is that kidney cutter legal these days?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice! I'm not really into bullets, but I'd love to get the skills and cash to restore an old British bike of my own, partly as I like the look of some of them, but also to do my bit to preserve a bit of what once made Britain good, and as a nod to what my passed on uncles would have ridden too.

For me I like Enfield's as the factory was very local, which seems a good reason over a BSA etc, but I'd want ideally a 700cc interceptor, as it's a cool name, and Im one of them that wouldn't ever have a bonnie cos everyone else has got them and I want to like stuff others don't! Wink

A Benelli Tornado or a late Kawasaki W7, would also interest me too.

But I would never let an old Brit bike get in the way of owning a Kawasaki six with a titanium 6-1 and dripping in Ohlins etc. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice! I'm not really into bullets, but I'd love to get the skills and cash to restore an old British bike of my own, partly as I like the look of some of them, but also to do my bit to preserve a bit of what once made Britain good, and as a nod to what my passed on uncles would have ridden too.

For me I like Enfield's as the factory was very local, which seems a good reason over a BSA etc, but I'd want ideally a 700cc interceptor, as it's a cool name, and Im one of them that wouldn't ever have a bonnie cos everyone else has got them and I want to like stuff others don't! Wink

A Benelli Tornado or a late Kawasaki W7, would also interest me too.

But I would never let an old Brit bike get in the way of owning a Kawasaki six with a titanium 6-1 and dripping in Ohlins etc. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Kidney cutter?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:14 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Suntan Sid wrote:

Kidney cutter?

The front number plate mount. Last I heard, no it's not, but I couldn't quote the regs, so may well be wrong.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking nice, welcome to the club Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Truth is, I don't know? bike came with it on and has 9 months mot?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on buying a real motorcycle.

Looks like it still has the passive air valve system emissions control thingy on it. Many people remove it and blank off the hole in the exhaust header and carb manifold.

Be aware, those later ones can have crankcase breathing issues. They breathe from the oil tank, not the crankcase and into a catch can. It's then supposed to run any residue back into the timing chest.

Mine had horriffic mayonaise forming problems, the whole lot clogged up on a regular basis.

If you find this is a problem, let me know, I've gone into it in extensive detail.

One thing I'd do right now is replace one of the split pins that holds the mainstand pivot pin in with a long bit of wire (a bicycle spoke works well) and twist it up round the boss the spring attathes to. This prevents the pivot pin rotating in the frame lugs and forces the stand to pivot on the pin like it's supposed to. If the pin rotates in the frame lugs, the holes start to oval and your bike sags further and further down on the stand until you can't get the wheels off the road. Once it's happened, you can't fix it short of replacing that frame section.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/distributor/Image001.jpg

I don't know many people with a late model 350 like mine. I'd be interested to hear what your oil consumption is like.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've a 2006 350, no real oil drinking issues, but as I, and now stinkwheel has said, certainly keep an eye of the breather tube etc. You'll soon tell when it's blocked, oil will start to appear in your air filter, and I don't just mean a spot of oil either !!

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:23 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an up to date version of The Royal Oilfields that we used to ride years ago

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:39 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggsy wrote:
That is an up to date version of The Royal Oilfields that we used to ride years ago

I wouldn't go that far. Admittedly they do now have 12v electrics but that's pretty much the only significant difference.

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil has gone down you know, surprised really. Did 300 miles in total and it's used just under fifth of a litre. Nice ride but plenty of vibrations through handlebars between 50-55, clears up after that. Loving it to be Frank, such a different ride to the ZZR.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:16 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis_B wrote:
Nice ride but plenty of vibrations through handlebars between 50-55, clears up after that.

Just check your head-steady is done up (the metal bar that runs from the back of the head to the rear fuel tank mounting bolt). It's easy to forget to do it up if you have the tank off. The 350's aren't a particularly vibey engine as a rule.

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, it was the tyre? had a new one fitted after getting a puncture this afternoon and problem has gone. Thanks for the advice. Not too chuffed with it's oil addiction though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:57 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre might not have been properly seated on the bead. Easy mistake if you fit your own (and many peple do).

If it's using a load of oil, do check in that catch can. The duckbill valve can have come off, the hoses (both breather and return) can also be totally clogged with mayo. Especialy if it's done lots of short runs. If it's not breathing, you'll have positive crankcase preassure and it'll drink oil like no tomorrow.

Your catch can is circled here.

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I am going to have a go at that now. Thanks, will post findings.

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 30 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, there was a 10mm bolt/plug on the bottom, undid that and caught just under fifth of a litre in the cup, not sure if that is good or bad? (actually that is the same amount I topped up by - give or take a few drops).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis_B wrote:
Right, there was a 10mm bolt/plug on the bottom, undid that and caught just under fifth of a litre in the cup, not sure if that is good or bad? (actually that is the same amount I topped up by - give or take a few drops).

That ought to be runing back into the timing chest through one of the rubber hoses (with a one way valve in it).

I'd give the hoses a blow through just to make sure they're clear.

There are two main hoses there. One comes from a vertical stub in the oil tank which is the breather. It breathes from the engine into that catch can (there is a one-way "duckbill" valve inside the can). Any fluid that is breathed into the can should run back into the timing chest (horizontal stub to the right side of the engine). This probably happens after the engine is turned off.

My 2007 bullet had around a thousand miles on it.

This was the return hose, totally choked with mayonaise. This would prevent any oil being breathed out from getting back into the engine. Took a hefty blow to clear it.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/distributor/DSCN0704.png

That said, it wasn't breathing out properly either..
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/distributor/DSCN0705.png

Dennis_B
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stinkwheel. Did just that but mine was blocked with a yellow like substance, now clear. I'm off for a good spin tomorrow whatever the weather, so after a hundred miles or so will report findings.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 06 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to say, this thread has prompted me to dig the Enfield out from the back of the garage, and give it a run ..

So, after 140 miles on the Enfield today, and, when I checked the oil, none used Smile, And to make things better, the bike is running like a dream, although that 4 speed gearbox really isn't particularly smooth Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2