Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike security during a week tour of Europe

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

stuey2407
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:44 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Bike security during a week tour of Europe Reply with quote

I am currently planning a week through Europe the first week of September with a friend. Harwich to the Hook of Holland. Then from there over to Germany, then head South. We haven't decided the exact route yet. The topic of another thread I'm sure.

We are thinking about staying in B&Bs and booking as we go. The question I have is the security of the bikes. Should we be thinking of ways to secure the bikes both during the overnight stops and if we discover places to visit on route?

Both bikes are garaged when at home and in a low crime area so neither of us have any security devices or chains at the moment.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:54 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we travel we use booking.com. We mainly stay in hotels but I think they sell b&b accommodation too. Secure parking (free if possible) is our first priority and this site has a parking filter in its search engine. Have also been lugging a monstrous chain around for a few years but have decided it's just dead weight and not taking again. Been using booking.com for last 4 years and in general the parking info is reliable. Not long back from Europe and 3 of our stops had underground parking. It may cost a bit but it offers peace of mind

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lugged a massive chain and padlock round Europe in the past too.

More recently I've just taken a Xena disc lock, which is small enough not to be an issue, and we pick places to stay that have parking.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought along a short .9m chain which fit under my seat. I'd only lock it at nights though and I'd always find a quiet corner at camp sites. Usually they'd have to move my tent to access the bike.

Which would wake me up if I ever slept in my tent.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I bought along a short .9m chain which fit under my seat. I'd only lock it at nights though and I'd always find a quiet corner at camp sites. Usually they'd have to move my tent to access the bike.

Which would wake me up if I ever slept in my tent.

Do you just sit there, waiting for daylight? Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Do you just sit there, waiting for daylight? Wink

Nah I usually pass out drunk on my way to the tent.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ali in Austria
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cities can be a risk. For me, secure parking when visiting them is important.

Other areas it isn't really a problem. Many places advertise as motorcycle friendly which usually means they have a secure garage and facilities for Bikes. Smaller places even move their own vehicles to let you use their private garage.

Booking.com is probably the best web site as it covers just about everywhere, where as many other Booking sites are mostly for city areas. The App is good but distance is "As the crow flies" and if there is a mountain in between it can be a long way around.

You will find many B&B's on Booking.com (such as us Smile) and can adjust the search filter accordingly.

Usually best to check for availability but approach the establishment direct as the price is often better.

There are a few associations such as "Motorbike Friendly" & "Lets Bike Together" but they don't tend to be the cheapest places. You can Google them for a list.

In areas such as The Alps it is common for even the smallest B&B to have signage that they are motor bike friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In five European trips I have only lugged a chain once. Every other time we have relied on a disc lock each plus a reasonable sized cable lock or two - enough to attach all the bikes together, depending on how many of us went. We have never had a problem, but we have always selected accommodation with on site parking at a minimum.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1