BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First scares.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:30 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: First scares. Reply with quote

I’m sure these things are nothing compared to what experienced riders have dealt with, but to a noob – they nearly caused incontinence!

I’ve had my first experience of a bloomin’ great lorry coming fast the other way on a narrow-ish road. Breathed a sigh of relief that I didn’t die, only to be hit by the ‘wind’ from him 2 seconds later Shocked which resulted in me getting closer to a hedge than I would have liked.

While recovering from the shock of that, I almost immediately hit a pothole. I can only assume from the rear, I looked like a (very fat) gymnast vaulting a horse, as my bum lifted off the saddle and I sort of did mid air splits. Shocked Laughing

Most of the rest of my longest ride so far (of 32 miles) was incident free and fun, apart from an embarrassing stall at Rykas at 7.15am, witnessed by all the Yamaha team setting up their thing. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

And I’m not sure what happened when nearly home. I can only assume I accidentally tapped the back brake. I slowed to about 20 to take the turn into my road. At the apex of the turn, I was aware that something peculiar was happening at the back. The front of the bike sort of behaved but the back end swung around and tried to over take me! I somehow managed not to fall off and did an inelegant wiggle to the centre of the road before righting things. Have I done my first skid?
Anyway. I didn’t die and had to tell someone! Very Happy
Can other newbies relate to this stuff?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my first year or so there was a rarely a ride when something rather worrying didn't happen at some point.
It's all part of getting experience though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to be a newbie to relate to those.

We all miss the odd pothole and it's still a shock.

Maybe not to the same level as you but it's still tense when I meet a lorry in a country lane.

It does sound like you dragged the back brake on the corner but it could have been something on the road surface.
You'd expect anything down there to effect front and back wheels but it often doesn't.

I'm glad you didn't get deaded but more importantly, did you enjoy it?

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:07 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think my first year or so there was a rarely a ride when something rather worrying didn't happen at some point.

Very relieved to know it’s not just me! Very Happy

Quote:

Most of it. Though I felt my cheeks burning for a mile or so after my humiliation at Rykas.

Riding is making me learn some things about myself. Apparently bikes make me a little religious and I seem to swear loads. I may have loudly exclaimed that the lorry had had intimate relations with my mother and may have questioned the parentage of the pothole.

Also, I talk to myself in my helmet which is kind of odd. Hope I’m not developing some weird motorcycle related psychosis.

I’m also (slightly) ashamed to have developed a slight case of smug. My new YBR flies up long hills with ease compared to my hubbys Cougar, my youngest’s Hyosung GT125r, my eldest’s Daelim and my mate’s Honda equivalent of the YBR. They get smaller in my mirror. Laughing

I’m loving riding - but it seems to be making me less nice!

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
Quote:

Very relieved to know it’s not just me! Very Happy

Quote:

Most of it. Though I felt my cheeks burning for a mile or so after my humiliation at Rykas.

Riding is making me learn some things about myself. Apparently bikes make me a little religious and I seem to swear loads. I may have loudly exclaimed that the lorry had had intimate relations with my mother and may have questioned the parentage of the pothole.

Also, I talk to myself in my helmet which is kind of odd. Hope I’m not developing some weird motorcycle related psychosis.

I’m also (slightly) ashamed to have developed a slight case of smug. My new YBR flies up long hills with ease compared to my hubbys Cougar, my youngest’s Hyosung GT125r, my eldest’s Daelim and my mate’s Honda equivalent of the YBR. They get smaller in my mirror. Laughing

Ah the influence of BCF Wink Laughing

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:17 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah the influence of BCF

Quite possibly. Laughing
Though I'll probably lose the smug soon as they're all doing their big bike licences. It will be my turn at the arse end of the convoy. Mr. Green

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: First scares. Reply with quote

First part of my commute is a busy A road filled with HGV's, don't have a fear of them but don't like being behind or by them for longer than I have to, feel like a small invisible ant. When I encounter them coming at me (at most 30mph road) I move from the middle of the lane and go closer to the kerb.

Pot holes are an arse. I've got a section on my commute where there's pot holes inbetween the two lanes so when you move back into lane 1 after passing the parked cars blocking the lane you're greeted by a very uneasy lane change. I mostly ride the same roads so now where they all are. I was always told during DAS not to swerve to avoid pot holes because it looks untidy but I'll be buggered if I'm having my manhood almost rendered useless by the size of some of them, probably applies more in the wet whereby it's easier to just go over them than have a sudden change of direction in the steering.

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:37 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll definitely move over from now on. And at least I’ll know to brace for impact from the wind/slip stream/wake or whatever it’s called.

To be honest, I just didn’t see the pothole. I was uttering words about divine defecation and trying to decide if I should pull over for a smoke to recover. Also, I got distracted with a twig that had got hooked through the Velcro strap at my cuff after being blown too close to the hedge.
It was definitely a learning curve. Twigs are unimportant – watch the road!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it all sounds pretty normal to me

there's hill on a B road coming back into Bristol that has 7 nasty potholes and managed to hit 5 of the things first time I used it
it was
Doh! what the f... was that?
Doh! what?
Doh! again? shit!
Doh Oww! you bastard!
Doh! Awww c'mon!

My own fault, I'd gotten too close to the traffic in front to allow me to spot and react to them in time.
Dropping back, I could slalom around them

Embarrasing stalls and missed gears? yep.
many times.

Can relate to 'close encounters' too
You do get better at anticipating and avoiding them but
if we're honest, we all have off days and however long you've been riding you're just as capable of stupidity as the next person

Your only as good ( a rider) as your last ride

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
I talk to myself in my helmet which is kind of odd. Hope I’m not developing some weird motorcycle related psychosis.

I'm sorry to tell you that's also something that comes with age.

The worst part is when you start thinking out loud when not on the bike. Luckily I've managed to keep it to non offensive comments so far but one day a young lady will hear my 'oooh nice jugs' comment and I'll be lucky if I only get a slap Embarassed

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
I'll probably lose the smug soon as they're all doing their big bike licences.

You could do yours as well!
A bigger bike is more stable (even an 'only slightly bigger' one like a 250) and is less effected by the air movement off lorries etc.
Also the extra torque is useful to get you away from awkward positions and IMO more difficult to stall .
And one important thing to remember with them is that they only go as fast as you make them go.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, the joys of youth Wink

I remember my first incident, not because it browned my trousers but because I had to buy a new headlight - and I hate spending money unnecessarily. I highsided a 50cc stepthrough, in retrospect that was quite a feat! Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:21 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: First scares. Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
At the apex of the turn, I was aware that something peculiar was happening at the back.

It's more likely it was gravel wash in the zone not 'swept' by car tyres.
Were you taking a 'lazy line' by any chance?
Longer you make the bend, more chance you'll roll over such a change in surface while leaned..
And did you heed caution over the crappy original-fit tyres on the YBR's? A pair of decent tyres on that thing will make a huge difference, now your confidence is growing.. just beware it doesn't out-strip your competence...
You may have also clocked up enough miles for the chain to have bedded in and need adjusting, giving a little transmission snatch as you went from throttle off on the 'in' and throttle on, on the out... routine maintenance.. could be time for some.

Wind buffet on a light-weight can be a bit of a blast; you learn to predict it though, grip with the knees, relax grip on bars, give a little extra room, and slight roll 'off' the throttle as the truck comes level, so you can accelerate through the turbulence, the acceleration 'pulling' the bike straight...

BUT, all grist to the mill, I have to say; sort of finer points of technique and finesse that DAS Newbs starting on the heavier bikes don't encounter or learn to deal with.

Twigs up your sleeve? Err... so comment... well, OK, I'll comment! I spent most of my English O-level Exam picking hawthorns out of my arms, after an argument with a hedge! LoL.

But, you know what pilots say; a good pilot is one who has had as many landing's as take-offs... but then they also say that landing is merely falling out the sky without killing any-one...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 25 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until you experience your first ride in gale force winds. Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're obviously doing something right though, as you're still in one piece. Thumbs Up

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I highsided a 50cc stepthrough

Cool

I once took a C90 off-roading. It did not last long, nor did it end well.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:32 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it was
Doh! what the f... was that?
Doh! what?
Doh! again? shit!
Doh Oww! you bastard!
Doh! Awww c'mon!

Laughing You made me snort in my coffee.

Quote:

You could do yours as well!

No chance! Though I do acknowledge that 6 months ago I was really anti motorcycles and pleaded with my son not to get one. So who knows – maybe much further down the line I’ll brave it. But for now, 125cc is quite enough for me. Smile
Quote:
highsided a 50cc stepthrough, in retrospect that was quite a feat!

Shocked
Quote:
It's more likely it was gravel wash in the zone not 'swept' by car tyres.

I’ve had a look this morning. About a foot away from the dashed give way lines, there’s a line of gritty stuff. I’m wondering if that caused it then, rather than me accidentally touching the brake.
Quote:
And did you heed caution over the crappy original-fit tyres on the YBR's?

Of course! I always follow advice. We were told ‘not to mess’ with bike. So we’re looking at getting new tyres when she goes in for her service at 600 miles. (I’ve still got a couple of hundred to go.)

I’m also wondering if should pay £90 to have the... er… I’ve forgotten what he called them. They look like giant black rubber, roller boot stoppers. Said they help protect bike in case of incidents. I haven’t dropped her or come off yet – but it’s bound to happen some when.

Quote:
slight roll 'off' the throttle as the truck comes level, so you can accelerate through the turbulence, the acceleration 'pulling' the bike straight...

This sounds so sensible. I’m just wondering how it plays out in practice for a new rider. Hopefully it won’t mean I just get shoved into a hedge at a faster speed. I’ll let you know! Thanks Tef. Very Happy

Quote:
Wait until you experience your first ride in gale force winds

That ain’t happening! I actually bottled going out on bike a couple of weeks ago, as it was a bit windy with 20mph gusts. I wasn’t sure what it would feel like, or confident in my ability to handle it. You see lorries swaying in winds – and I have a fat ass. I was worried my big butt would result in my bike experiencing the wobbly lorry effect, as there’s more for the wind to shove. Laughing
So stayed home with my Kindle. Embarassed

Quote:

Main thing is to just keep riding to gain confidence and experience,then you will find incidents like this far easier to deal with,you will do it by instinct.

I hope so. Little things are becoming more natural. I don’t need to look down to locate the indicator now. (Though I do glance down to check ‘the dash’ to check I’ve cancelled it.)
I used to be nervous getting on the bike and would kick my leg over far higher than I needed too – as I was always worried I’d kick the back and knock it over.
Helmet feels a bit more natural. And I can now do my tight jacket up without looking in a mirror. (Boobs get in the way!) Laughing

I’m also better at listening to the bike and knowing when to change gear. I’m not obsessed with checking the rev counter anymore. I’m getting there. Very slowly – but I’m getting there.

As always, thanks guys for listening to a newbie’s concerns. Very Happy

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:

It's not making you less nice, you're just now realising how many dangerous dickheads there are on the roads, and that overtaking can be fun. Smile

I have also found venting swearyness into the lid helps get the road rage out instantly so I can carry on looking out for more dickheads.

Re: the wind, clench everything below your waist like you're shitting out a pumpkin and loosen your arms. Thumbs Up

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 27 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still sometimes go to set off and just get a RRRRRRRRRRRRFFFF and no movement.

I KNOW I PUT YOU IN FIRST.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite a first scare for me this morning, but came close to being a first barf inside my helmet. It's bin day in my neighbourhood. Timed my journey so that at the end of every single line of traffic I filtered, there was a gopping bin lorry to ride behind Sick

Timing noted for all future hot Tuesday mornings.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

6R4H4M wrote:
Not quite a first scare for me this morning, but came close to being a first barf inside my helmet. It's bin day in my neighbourhood. Timed my journey so that at the end of every single line of traffic I filtered, there was a gopping bin lorry to ride behind Sick

^^^^ This Mr. Green I hate getting a mouthful of awful smell whilst riding as you can't spit it out! Rode past a chicken farm the other day Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

under_rated wrote:
6R4H4M wrote:

^^^^ This Mr. Green I hate getting a mouthful of awful smell whilst riding as you can't spit it out! Rode past a chicken farm the other day Sick

I commute past this every day. It's been like it since I moved to Northampton in 1977. It's still not sorted. In the car I can hit the recirculate air button before I reach it, but I can only hold my breath for so long on the bike.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 28 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
The 'Zig-Zag'. It's a maneuver whereupon you apply throttle and brake amidst panic whilst wrestling the bike between two cars at a staggered junction. Both of which hadn't seen me approach and both turned into my path.
Cool

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first scare was an off

coming home from work I pulled into my road and there is a sharp bend

some one had been cleaning a car it was winter and the water had froze on the bend

I hit it doing about 15mph and the front end washed out

only a small scratch on bike luckily and managed to scare the shit out of a paper boy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

only a small scratch on bike luckily and managed to scare the shit out of a paper boy

https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/45746-paperboy-atari-st-screenshot-game-over.gif

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2