Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First big boys bike... R6

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:27 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: First big boys bike... R6 Reply with quote

Recently made purchase..
My first big boys bike, after years on 125's I finally took the plunge and booked my DAS. Theory and Mod1 passed.. Mod 2 failed first time round, so awaiting a re test.

The day after i failed my Mod 2 I went to buy this a to cheer me up. Currently stashed in my sisters garage. An insentive to pass 2nd time round Cool

R6 Cherished plate came in the sale... Happier than a pig in shit!!!
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/BIKE/Screenshot_2016-07-06-22-34-24-1_zpszi6muofz.png
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/BIKE/Newbike%20copy_zpscxwubiqq.jpg
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/NitroCowBoy/BIKE/R6_zpsud95bizk.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is it 2003/04?

It looks lovely, and though I always though the original R6 was a bit small physically compared to its peers, it makes the newer ones look very cramped and tiny IMO. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be 99-02.

Also, wtf are those frame tumors bolted to the side?? They'd be going straight in the bin if it was mine
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:00 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an early one to me, 1999ish. They are the ones which have a reputation for cracking cylinder liners which render the engines scrap. The symptoms don't appear until you've been riding for about 20 minutes at which point they lose power. I've also seen a few of these with slivers of metal in the sump, as well as dodgy second gear (not necessarily correlated).

But, get a good one and they are great fun from what I recall of riding them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:38 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats lovely. By far my favourite r6 and colour scheme Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine bought one once...
By the time he got home it was running on 3 and cutting out (seem to run strangely well from cold).
To make matters worse, they were excellent engines and performed so well (in their era) they are really popular for the track thus finding engines/parts is a nightmare.
In the end he had to get a newer engine, strip the two and make a working franko-engine.

Superb bike if the engine holds up though Thumbs Up.
Am considering one for a track toy Laughing

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the arse isn't saggy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one on a Y plate .. no problems with it...
was a pleasure to ride/own Thumbs Up

RyanTZR125
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a 99. The joys of second-hand... I guess time will tell if she's a gooden or not, all part of the fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had one of these R6's too for 1 year and had no problems with it at all, and it had both recall works done it.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

5EB if it's a '99.

second gear can be an issue, but you'd know if it was pretty much straight away.

cylinder liners are the biggest one on these. they can't be economically repaired. that said, there are plenty of people that dont have any issues - me included (fingers crossed!)

there have been cases of people fitting the bottom end of the next gen engine (5SL) to the top end of the 5EB, and modifying the rear engine mount to fit the frame, but no one has yet produced a guide for it.

anyway, enjoy it, they're an absolutely great bike Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:

there have been cases of people fitting the bottom end of the next gen engine (5SL) to the top end of the 5EB, and modifying the rear engine mount to fit the frame, but no one has yet produced a guide for it.

So how do they manage that then? when the barrels are cast INTO the bottom end?
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 11 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
groovylee wrote:

So how do they manage that then? when the barrels are cast INTO the bottom end?

sorry, prob just a case of me using car terminology rather than bike Embarassed

they take the 5SL engine, then swap whatever bits are required from the 5EB engine to enable it to still be run off carbs (head, carbs etc) and then fitting that into the 5EB frame.

does that make more sense?

Lee

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1