Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bent fork but no reason

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:45 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Bent fork but no reason Reply with quote

I rebuilt my forks last weekend. When putting them back together they wouldn't sit right.

After much fucking about and trying everything I come to the conclusion the LHS upper Fork leg is bent.

The problem when I first put it back together was the spindle screwed in too far and the wheel would sit off center. The face of the spindle should sit flush with the fork leg.

i.e.
https://www.consolidatedtools.com/WebRoot/GroupNBT/Shops/s3zpvuf584b3/4EE4/8654/F741/6FA6/18B9/0A0C/05E9/4FC4/KOKENSPINDLE_LARGE.jpg

See how it is flush with the fork leg? Mine was 5-10mm recessed.

The test that proved it to me was I had the forks in and bolted up the spindle but no wheel/Muguard. I tighten the spindle up enough so it was flush.

I loosened the pinch bolts on the RHS fork and spun the upper stantion (Chrome bit). The space between the face of the spindle and the lower leg didn't move.

When I repeated this on the LHS leg the spindle face would move in and out.

I have no idea how this happened, They haven't been in an accident. Is it possible to bend a fork and not realise?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the bushes like?

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:56 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
What are the bushes like?

New oem with the rebuild.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip the fork again and check everything with a straight edge innit.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:14 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Strip the fork again and check everything with a straight edge innit.

I did strip it again to check it was together properly. I didn't really have anything straight enough and the right size. I'm taking it to motoliner at the weekend to get it straightened.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you not have a laser pen?

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:20 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method of checking is enough to establish it is bent just wonder how it could have happened.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accident Sad

If you want to get them straightened you're welcome to come over and use my hydraulic press.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:17 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Accident Sad

If you want to get them straightened you're welcome to come over and use my hydraulic press.

These legs haven't been in one I'm fairly certain, they have been on the bike years too.

Cheers for the offer but I've already booked them in with Motoliner. I'm taking them in Saturday morning to get checked if as I suspect it's only one it'll only be £35 to sort.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 24 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really beat that price TBH to have Motoliner do it. Do they require the leg whole or stripped? My guess is they'd appreciate it stripped.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:09 - 25 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Can't really beat that price TBH to have Motoliner do it. Do they require the leg whole or stripped? My guess is they'd appreciate it stripped.

They didn't last time, I took a complete front end wheel, forks and yokes to them. Dropped them off went into the village found the pub had a pint a burger read a magazine came back and they had sorted the lot.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:37 - 25 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is this on the tdm? With conventional forks. Takes a fair bit to bend forks (and massive amount to bend USD forks - when compressed in an impact the main stress point just under the bottom yoke has the strength of both the inner and the outer). An accident really is the most likely cause. Are they the original forks (ie, been out for a fork change at a dealer and got mixed up with another set maybe?)

All the best

Katy

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pothole?

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:32 - 25 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is the TDM. Both stantions were replaced a few years back with new OEM by me. I haven't had any meaningful impact since then. This is why I am so perplexed by it.

I do have an old bent one in the garage I use as breaker bar which i considered had gotten mixed up but that would be impossible has it has a collection of old fork seals round it as a sort of grip.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 25 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tend to notice incidents that bend forks! Are you sure they were straight when you got them?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1