Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My First Sportsbike - ZX7r

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: My First Sportsbike - ZX7r Reply with quote

So, after riding around on the Pan and Speed Four for a little while, I decided it was time for a change. I've had a bit of a hankering for something a little more sporty than I have had in the past, so started scouring Ebay and Gumtree for a suitable steed.

I found this ZX7r not too far from me and for a good price. Had a look at it last weekend and put a deposit down. On Friday I went to pick it up. It was a 2 hour ride home and the forecast was good...

...So, naturally it pissed it down.

The bike was filthy when I got home, and I was cold, damp and a little achy from the fairly extreme riding position (in comparison to what I have ridden before). But we were home and I was happy.

https://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p690/monteme0/IMG_20160930_215904_zpsesofap2t.jpg
Potato photo due to poor light.

It's a 2001 bike, in excellent condition and low miles at 13,000. It has some nice extras, including a full Akrapovic exhaust system (which sounds brilliant), braided brake and clutch lines, carbon effect air intake covers and chromed rims, which actually look quite nice once polished up.

The only bad point was the speedo wasn't working. The owner noted this in the advert and had knocked a significant amount from the asking price because of it. I fitted a new speedo pickup for £20 and it's now working properly Thumbs Up

Here's some photos from this afternoon's ride:

https://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p690/monteme0/IMG_20161002_164212_zpsuic5shmb.jpg

https://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p690/monteme0/IMG_20161002_164244_zps6qdo0zdc.jpg

https://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p690/monteme0/IMG_20161002_164458_zpsr1e83pqa.jpg

https://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p690/monteme0/IMG_20161002_164510_zpsxjmsarws.jpg

https://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p690/monteme0/IMG_20161002_164534_zpsqzpeybvg.jpg

So far, I am really pleased with it. Significantly more power than anything I have owned before, and so stable round the bends, even at high speeds. I think the aftermarket exhaust affects the fueling at very low RPM (only really makes much difference at pulling away speeds to be honest, so I'm not too fussed about that).

There does seem to be a bit of an issue with the front brakes. They're plenty powerful enough, but the front end seems to judder when using them at around 60+ MPH. The discs do not look worn at all, and I have given them a clean but hasn't made any difference. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I have heard the 6 pot calipers can be quite maintenance heavy, so was wondering if they could be causing the issue somehow...

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That my favourite paint job for the zx7r.

Proper sexy Very Happy

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KTMTony
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike bud.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 pots are notorious for being bastards, they corrode behind the dust seals, which pushes them into the piston, they then get dragged out of the caliper partially and cause pistons to stick etc.

Most people swap them for a set of Nissin 4 pots, that's what I did when I had my 7r and it was a very worthy upgrade and near maintenance free in comparison.

They are also notorious for being awful to tune properly, so an aftermarket exhaust needs some dyno time and a tuner who can be bothered with a carbed bike. Most these days only want to plug it into a laptop and click a button or 2.

They develop a flat spot when an aftermarket exhaust is fitted around 4-5.5k, mine had it with my Muzzy system, despite me giving it my best shot with a Factory Pro Jet kit. I'm no tuner though and I had no rolling road, so every adjustment was a tank, airbox and carbs off job.

I had mine for 5 years and I miss it all the time, I will own another one day.

Yours looks lovely, I am jealous Thumbs Up

edit: Here are my 6 pot clean up photos, you can see the state of the dust seals after I removed the pistons and seals, and you can also see the seals that have been dragged up by the piston itself.

They do clean up though, then it's just bleeding the damm things to worry about

https://s19.postimg.org/qjtq94d4v/08042010642.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/e6lhfycu7/08042010643.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/pcfsgwn0f/07042010628.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/vtyp0exdr/08042010644.jpg

Last edited by bacon on 23:47 - 02 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=278676&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Thumbs Up

Nissin and Tokico 4 pots with 90mm between the mounting bolts are a direct swap.

Shame someone changed the levers and decided to get rid of the rear mud guard/licence plate holder. You even have original rear turn indicators there, that are quite rare actually. So, I'd be keeping it as original as possible. If the engine goes well, then you definitely won't loose any money, when selling it. Wink

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 22:52 - 02 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:46 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much love, best sports 750 in my (completely subjective) opinion. Yum.

🏍

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: My First Sportsbike - ZX7r Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:

Stunning bike dude!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Thumbs Up

adriansk
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike man!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up Loved mine and was sad to see it go.

Needs a track day.

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking bike. Thumbs Up

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks great Thumbs Up

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies!

bacon wrote:
Most people swap them for a set of Nissin 4 pots, that's what I did when I had my 7r and it was a very worthy upgrade and near maintenance free in comparison.

Interesting. This will be something I will consider if the 6 pots start causing too many problems. I'm thinking now that it may be that the discs are warped but will have to have a proper look at it when I get chance.

bacon wrote:
They are also notorious for being awful to tune properly, so an aftermarket exhaust needs some dyno time and a tuner who can be bothered with a carbed bike. Most these days only want to plug it into a laptop and click a button or 2.

They develop a flat spot when an aftermarket exhaust is fitted around 4-5.5k, mine had it with my Muzzy system, despite me giving it my best shot with a Factory Pro Jet kit. I'm no tuner though and I had no rolling road, so every adjustment was a tank, airbox and carbs off job.

I would quite like to take it to a dyno place to get it properly set up. Don't think it will be for a little while yet though, as I can't imagine these things are cheap.

RynoCZ wrote:
Shame someone changed the levers and decided to get rid of the rear mud guard/licence plate holder. You even have original rear turn indicators there, that are quite rare actually. So, I'd be keeping it as original as possible. If the engine goes well, then you definitely won't loose any money, when selling it. Wink

I do actually have the original levers, but I quite like the ones that are on there so will keep it as it is for now. Engine certainly seems to be going well. Plenty of power, just has the slight fuelling issue low down.

MattB wrote:
Needs a track day.

This will certainly be happening next year Thumbs Up

Fazer Tom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:42 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, always wanted one.

Past: (1981 CG125) (1992 ZZR250 x2) (1976 KZ400) (1993 400 Superfour) (2002 Triumph TT600) (1998 Fazer) (2001 CCM 636) (2000 CCM 604) (2007 Kawasaki Z750) (2005 Husqvarna SM450R) Current: (1989 Bandit 400)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bike Cool

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:

Interesting. This will be something I will consider if the 6 pots start causing too many problems. I'm thinking now that it may be that the discs are warped but will have to have a proper look at it when I get chance.

It's likely that seized pistons have caused the warping you appear to be experiencing.

Quickly whip the calipers off and have a look. They will be full of crud, look for signs that the dust seals have been dragged out of their seats.

Most 6 pots will need a good break down and clean every year or so in my opinion.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Most 6 pots will need a good break down and clean every year or so in my opinion.

My j1 and a1p both needed caliper rebuilds every year without fail, I rode them all year round.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1