Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stepping up to bigger bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:09 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been riding my Honda NSR125R for around three years now and passed my full A test in December 2015.

Yes, I know, 10 months without stepping up.......WTF I hear you all cry lol

Anyways, wondering what would be the best bigger bike for a kinda beginner. I'm wanting something around 600cc I suppose. I've been looking at CBR600RR's as I read somewhere online they were a decent beginner but I dunno what to believe when reading generic extracts online so thought I'd ask for some personal opinions/experiences. I'm looking to spend around £3-4k

Fire away, I'm looking to buy, like, yesterday Wink

Oh, I'm a more mature beginner if that makes a difference. 40 years young Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold a ER6f which is a great first big bike as long as you're not an especially tall person. I got it when I was 41 (just)
and had it about two years. It was especially forgiving for a newly passed rider and didn't punish the few mistakes I made on
it over my ownership. It's plenty of bike if you aren't all that concerned about doing silly top speeds. I think they max at
about 130 odd but that's plenty if you're not used to 3 figure speeds on two wheels. It's certainly a lot more user friendly
than the torque monster I have now. I'm glad I had a couple of years on the Kwacker. 3 to 4 k is a healthy budget.
You can go as fast as you want with a budget like that if you buy the right bike.

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:33 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yup, I'm certainly not really interested in silly speed, I have a wife and kids that rely on me Wink I'm 6'1" so, in your estimation, is that too tall?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'11 and 32" inseam and I found it cramped after an hour and a half on average. They are quite a low
bike the ER6f but have plenty of style considering they are a commuter in a pretty frock, and as a step up you
will still feel like it's jet propelled.

My new bike (MT09 Spacker) is much taller and there's tons of room on it, but dat windblast Shocked I'd recommend
one but they are quite a handful torque wise to the point where it takes some restraint to keep the front wheel
down on the road. But for size they do seem spot on for anyone not of oriental stature. They must sell a lot of lowering
drop links in Japan for the MT09s Laughing The height of the thing is a lot to do with why I bought one, was sick of being
limited time wise on the ER6f before discomfort had me heading home. I'm sure a used standard MT09 is in budget,
or failing that and if a triple doesn't quite do it for you, the MT07 twin is apparently quite a nice tractable machine as
well, Yamahas version of the ER6f really. Maybe play at salesman trolling and get out on a few demonstrators
round your local dealers before you spend your dough and see whats right for you.

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:16 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Smile

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first big bike was and still is a 2003 Fsz600 Fazer. I totally recommend it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test in one of those Thumbs Up And it was an 03 Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mention the CBR because you want a supersport or because someone told you it was a good beginner bike?

If you want a supersport with that budget take your pick of GSXR's, CBR's, ZX6R's and R6's. Try to sit on a few, blag a ride if you can and buy the one you find most appealing.

If not set on a supersport then you have enough £££ for a barely run in SV650 (or about 900 quid short of a brand new one).

Or just man up and buy a fireblade....you know you want too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:43 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:
passed my full A test in December 2015.

On a 595cc+ 40kW+ bike, probably a twin.

If you want a 600+ plastic sportsbike, I'd suggest the CBR600F rather than the RR. Less extreme, nice and smooth, lower insurance, 95% of anything else on the road will still get rekt by it.

However, I'd only suggest the F instead of the RR, not as a default position. There are so many other choices available.

The crucial question is: what sort of riding are you intending to do?

Do you want something that you can rag on the rev limiter anywhere? That you can rule with on road and track? Something that will rip it up to the legal limit but not much beyond?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:
Okay, so I've been riding my Honda NSR125R for around three years now and passed my full A test in December 2015.

Well insurance costs, admin fee's so on and so forth. Waiting only makes it that bit sweeter when it does eventually come around (say's the one who's more than a year into a full license but hasn't swapped out).

scoobiemandan wrote:
Anyways, wondering what would be the best bigger bike for a kinda beginner. I'm wanting something around 600cc I suppose. I've been looking at CBR600RR's as I read somewhere online they were a decent beginner but I dunno what to believe when reading generic extracts online so thought I'd ask for some personal opinions/experiences. I'm looking to spend around £3-4k

Best thing to do is take a look around a local used dealership and sit on a few bikes as it took me all of five seconds to learn that going from an upright position on my tiddler to what was at the time a potential buy of an SV 650 that had a leany forward position was defiantly not for me and was far too different to what I was used to and put me of the idea of buying it all together. Also sitting on them will give you an idea of what size of bike and weight you're comfortable with pushing around at a standstill and you clan flat foot etc, good news is there's plenty of bikes in existence so there's no need to buy something you're not comfortable with.. try a few before you settle with anything.

£4000 max budget is a lot to play with on the used market and really how much of it you spend in my opinion depends what your'e after, since I'm getting the idea that you don't know but have an itch to scratch with money to burn I'd buy something in the middle of the budget and take it from there in a years time.

Commuter, adventure, sports bike? Draw up a short list and go sit on and view a few examples and narrow it down to see what you like and then buy whatever's around within budget.

Factor in service costs, tyres, consumables etc and you can't go far wrong. Don't buy anything you don't think you'll be able to maintain and there shouldn't be any hidden surprises. Make a sensible purchase is all since the phrase of being able to buy a bike is different to being able to afford it. I like the look of R1200GS's (yes my license doesn't allow riding one) but the service/running costs are enough to make my eyes water and leave it in dream land.

Could get plenty near new bikes with very little miles on for £4000.

Shop around and see what tickles your fancy.

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 05:07 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

Thanks NJD. You mention servicing etc. Give me a marque of car and I'll be able to list them in order of servicing costs etc, a bike on the other hand, I have no idea!?

wr6133 wrote:
Do you mention the CBR because you want a supersport or because someone told you it was a good beginner bike?

Was merely something that I'd read online after Googling 'best beginner bikes'.

Rogerborg wrote:

Do you want something that you can rag on the rev limiter anywhere? That you can rule with on road and track? Something that will rip it up to the legal limit but not much beyond?

Well, mostly a short commute if I'm honest but perhaps some summertime weekend blasts. I'm not wanting something for the track and likewise, not looking to lose my license after the first twist of the throttle Very Happy

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:
Thanks NJD. You mention servicing etc. Give me a marque of car and I'll be able to list them in order of servicing costs etc, a bike on the other hand, I have no idea!?

As for service schedules when you find a bike that you're almost set on and want to find out a bit more about it you can google "___ pdf" __ being the bike name and you'll be able to find the workshop manual and in that will be the service schedule and what needs doing at what point, alternatively there's an entire thread dedicated to links to free service manuals. As for costs well I inquired with the guy that I was going to buy either an SV or Bandit from and they said £100 or thereabouts but I suspect sales talk. Read some online reviews and see what owners are saying and if they mention any stings in running costs. Every place you take it to will be different but online reviews should give you an idea of what's acceptable and what's not. Alternatively just eBay search part availability and cost to see what it would be like to do the work yourself. Can never hurt to at least ensure there's a wide array of available parts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Well, mostly a short commute if I'm honest but perhaps some summertime weekend blasts. I'm not wanting something for the track and likewise, not looking to lose my license after the first twist of the throttle Very Happy

What did you do your Test on?
Do you want a 'lay-on' or a sit up bike?
Sit up tends to be less of a licence loser (but obviously it's still very possible).
Some like Super-Moto style, some go for dual-sport adventure style, some prefer classic and some prefer racer (plus other options but I'm assuming your not into hipster posing or ass-less leather chaps).
Engine-wise do you want a screamer or a thumper (or a something for 'pottering around on). Loud (beneficial especially if you're filtering) or quiet (better with the neighbours).

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:03 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my test on a CB650F although I prefer the riding position of the Honda NSR I have currently. Either or somewhere in between if such a thing exists.

No I'm not into leather chaps Wink

As for noise, bollox to the neighbours. They had to put up with my silly loud Subaru Boxer burble and I'm looking to get a V10 Audi at some point in the near future so they'll have to put up with me warming that up in the mornings also.......did I mention that I leave for work at around 5am Twisted Evil In all seriousness though, never had complaints, not even with the two stroke I currently have which also has a blow in the 'zorst, if it wasn't noisy enough already lol

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well there are lots of options and you need to have a look around as many bike shops as possible and sit on as many as you can.
Personally I can't lean on my wrists without numb hands within 15 minutes, and high rear-sets cause my hips and knees to ache but I'm over 50, so that's irrelevant to you... probably.

This may help a little ; https://cycle-ergo.com/

The Suzuki SV650 is a torque sports bike rather than a screamer which as a scoobie-man you should appreciate and is a real good 1st bike, but every manufacturer makes something that's interesting in the 600-650-700 area.

You've a very good budget (personally I wouldn't spend more than 2.5k on a first big bike), but bear in mind that within a few months you'll be looking at other bikes with interest. It'll take you 6-12 months to really understand what bike qualities are really important rather than just sound good but you never use/do. So treat the 1st as a learner that you'll probably drop in the driveway/garage whilst pushing it around (not guaranteed but really surprisingly likely), and save some money towards bike No2.

No2 is more likely to be THE bike, but even that's not certain.
Many on here have kept No1 for years but there are more on No2 to 10 Very Happy

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:30 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, very helpful little link you've provided there Wink

Yeah, I've kinda been swayed around to getting something a little cheaper and have seen a 2001 CBR600F for £2495 in very good condition. Although I've seen a 2011 with half the miles for only a grand more! Tough one.

Issue in my area is that there aren't really any dealerships to choose from, literally one or two. Shitty South East corner where everything can only ever be found in one direction........

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't rule out ... CF650I (CF650NK)

https://www.wkbikes.com/650cc_motorbikes_wk-650i.html £3299.00 + OTR

Or even a 2nd hand one ..

Such as this ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF-MOTO-CF-650-/122183342649?hash=item1c72b1da39:g:~CYAAOSw8w1YAg-k

If that's the style you like, or, even the 650TR, which is what I have, however, the TR is a heavy bike ..

Or, if you prefer an upright riding position, how about a Versys, or CB500X ?

For example, this versys, including luggage fits your budget ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-09-KAWASAKI-KLE-650-VERSYS-ABS-B9F-/172313539000?hash=item281eaff1b8:g:SCEAAOSwHoFXvN3b

And a 2nd hand CB500X ??

Here's a nice looking one, just outside your budget ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB500X-/201683664087?hash=item2ef5487cd7:g:fQQAAOSwYIxX9O2N

Or .. without luggage & low miles ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB500X-CB500-XA-D-LOW-MILES-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/152103035172?hash=item236a0c2124:g:KIoAAOSwepZXRX5N

Just a couple of thoughts anyhow .

Cheers

Tony

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:56 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

scoobiemandan wrote:

We could be brothers from another mother! I owned a pretty modded Impreza P1 for 8 years and have now graduated onto big bikes. Rode a scooter for 2 years before getting knocked off and deciding no time like the present. That was pretty much this time last year.

You mention that you didn't get on with the Honda CB650 doing your DAS? I brought a brand new CBR650F which you might be able to find for around 4k now that they are a few years old. Bit of a punt in the dark - had never ridden one (other than doing my test too on a CB650) but it's worked out well. I am 6 foot 1 too and it is a little cramped, but I am presuming this is how the supersports setup feels? I sat on a 600RR and that felt worse in terms of how low you were.

I would say that my 650 is a jack of all trades. It is fast enough to have some fun on, but it isn't going to put you into a brick wall - well not as quickly as a fireblade at any rate. I do a 20 mile commute through London traffic daily and it hasn't given me any trouble. I've been on a few Sunday afternoon thrashes through the lanes and she handles well enough for a beginner rider.

I would say the most important thing is to get something that you want. You'll hear a lot of conflicting advice, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and all that. Don't be put off getting something powerful for your first bike if that is what you are after - like me, you are a little longer in the tooth and not so likely to go mental overtime you get on board. As others have said, probably depends a lot on what sort of riding you are going to be doing. I would not want to do a 100 mile motorway commute on my 650 - furthest I have been is Weymouth and back which was a 120 ish mile each way ride. It was doable but it did hurt a bit! I would imagine this is probably the case for most sports bikes. Very little wind protection unless you are totally tucked down, and this isn't a position you can hold for hours on end.

I am glad that I didn't get talked into buying a 250 or 500 even though. I would have outgrown those bikes by now. Definitely do it though - you'll be smiling all the way. My Impreza was fast, but even on a mid powered motorbike I would be leaving it behind Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:01 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
My Impreza was fast, but even on a mid powered motorbike I would be leaving it behind Smile

Soz to butt in here - but isn't this entirely dependent on the road? Give me that Impreza and let me invite you to ride many of my favourite local lanes and - assuming no other traffic - I'm fairly certain I would never be left behind. In fact I'm relatively sure that unless you're quite confident, especially on slightly more technical roads, I'd have vanished after a few turns. I'd go one step further again and say even if you knew my chosen routes well, you'd still be toast.

I only mention this because I see this sort of statement a lot and I always think how fucking amazing a lot of these cars are nowadays - and how difficult they can be to best when riding. It's so much easier to drive comparatively well than a bike is to ride, ime.

Or are we just talking a few hundred yards off the line at traffic lights? In which case, fine. Doesn't interest me. ; - )

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:00 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
OK, well there are lots of options and you need to have a look around as many bike shops as possible and sit on as many as you can.
Personally I can't lean on my wrists without numb hands within 15 minutes, and high rear-sets cause my hips and knees to ache but I'm over 50, so that's irrelevant to you... probably.

This may help a little ; https://cycle-ergo.com/

The Suzuki SV650 is a torque sports bike rather than a screamer which as a scoobie-man you should appreciate and is a real good 1st bike, but every manufacturer makes something that's interesting in the 600-650-700 area.

You've a very good budget (personally I wouldn't spend more than 2.5k on a first big bike), but bear in mind that within a few months you'll be looking at other bikes with interest. It'll take you 6-12 months to really understand what bike qualities are really important rather than just sound good but you never use/do. So treat the 1st as a learner that you'll probably drop in the driveway/garage whilst pushing it around (not guaranteed but really surprisingly likely), and save some money towards bike No2.

No2 is more likely to be THE bike, but even that's not certain.
Many on here have kept No1 for years but there are more on No2 to 10 Very Happy

^^^ Totally agree with this. I passed my test just over a year and a half ago, got myself a Thundercat, (which is a great 1st bike btw) and am now constantly looking on ebay for my 'upgrade'. Haven't told the wife yet though...... Shocked

You can pick up a decent Thundercat for around £1k - £1.5k. I have done just over 6k miles on mine in this time just on weekend blasts around the Welsh mountains. The only costs i have incurred are on Tyres, oil & filters.

I have been tempted to go brand new for my next bike (ZX6r, GSXR750) as there are 0% finance deals out there at the moment. If you have a decent deposit, the monthly costs will be next to nothing..... So yeah, get yourself something like a T'cat or something of that value and save a bit more coin for your 'ideal bike' in a year or twos time Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 4 years on a de-restricted NSR then moved onto an CBR600F3 (got it mighty cheap).
I'm a huge fan of the F3 as they can be had very cheap, make great commuter's, reliable and have plenty of poke (its now my track bike!). Really gentile in the lower rev range and forgiving on the road.

Okay, so I'm going to be a little bias but the older sports bikes are very good if you want something lively you can commute on but also have a little fun without breaking the bank. Chuck it down the road? Not a problem, duct tape it back together!

Recently got a 99 R1...

Would not recommend as first big bike...

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:41 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Stepping up to bigger bike? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
SuperMike wrote:
My Impreza was fast, but even on a mid powered motorbike I would be leaving it behind Smile

Soz to butt in here - but isn't this entirely dependent on the road? Give me that Impreza and let me invite you to ride many of my favourite local lanes and - assuming no other traffic - I'm fairly certain I would never be left behind. In fact I'm relatively sure that unless you're quite confident, especially on slightly more technical roads, I'd have vanished after a few turns. I'd go one step further again and say even if you knew my chosen routes well, you'd still be toast.

I only mention this because I see this sort of statement a lot and I always think how fucking amazing a lot of these cars are nowadays - and how difficult they can be to best when riding. It's so much easier to drive comparatively well than a bike is to ride, ime.

Or are we just talking a few hundred yards off the line at traffic lights? In which case, fine. Doesn't interest me. ; - )

Yup it's a fair point. I meant off the lights in a straight line. In all honesty I don't think the difference would be daylight anyway, but it would certainly be bike first. I remember having a few drags with motorbikes off the front of lights when I had that car. They always managed to keep just ahead and I don't think they were giving it full throttle. Now seeing things from the other side, it is laughable how easily I can pull away from Barry BMW and pals. My Impreza went about 4.5 seconds to 60 so wouldn't have been embarrassed, but my Honda would be down the road.

Now yes, through a twisty country lane I would back you in the Impreza against me. My bike handling skills aren't there yet.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
I have been tempted to go brand new for my next bike (ZX6r, GSXR750) as there are 0% finance deals out there at the moment.

You need to have a very close look at the 'get out' on finance unless you're completely certain that's the bike you want for the next X years.
You also have to be very confident you'll be employed long terms as well.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:06 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i agree with this. My plan is to get a sports bike for the next 4 years, then go for more upright, touring type after as the wife will want to tag along...... plus my back probably won't be able to take the riding position much after that Sad

As for job security, my position is pretty safe in my job (17 year service) but as i work in the automotive sector, the job itself is not without its uncertainties, especially with the brexit shit thats going down.......

I will probably shy away from buying brand new & maybe get a 5K loan. At least i can change my bike as and when i want to then.

Will probably look to get either CBR600RR, ZX6R, or R6 around the £3.5k mark and use the change to upgrade my car......

scoobiemandan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:20 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many further replies to reply individually but I'm getting the gist.

The mention of the Chinese bikes though, I'm not going down that route, difficult to find spares, garages that won't touch them and poorly made in the first place!

Loving how the thread has taken a Subaru v Bike turn though lol. Whilst it's been mentioned though, and as is normally the case, it's assumed a Subaru is always an Impreza. Never been part of that gang though, always been in the 'original' Colin Mcrae (uncle of the Impreza), the Legacy. My latest hasn't got the burble unfortunately as it's a twinscroll so unequal headers are a no go. 280bhp outta the factory and a lot more comfortable than an Imp Wink

Anyway, back on topic. I'm a bit peeved with the lack of sellers down this corner though as it doesn't give me scope at all for any decent bikes that will be mine with a full service and a decent history, which I like to buy my vehicles with. Plenty of private sellers but I'd rather have some come back on my purchases.

The hunt continues.

Where do we all stand with reliability of bikes. Whos the relaibale marque and who's not?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2