Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When do you replace your chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:49 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: When do you replace your chain? Reply with quote

So I bought a bike, and the chain isnt great. On my nice bike, I'd never have let it get this bad, but for a winter hack, is it actually dangerous?

It's just gone through its MOT which suggests not.

I'm not adverse to changing it, but would like to get some time on it to decide if I like the gearing first and also it makes more sense to fit a new one coming out of winter than going in. I do of course plan to clean and lube it regardless!

So, on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is new and 10 is OMG thats going to snap and break your legs, where does this fall?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn`t great, bad and dangerous ???????????????
More info really.
Did the tester check the chain ?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:03 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I buy a bike with a chain, I usually change the chain and sprockets, unless they are obviously in good nick Your sprocket is on the verge of being dead, have you had a closer look at the chain. Do the links move freely etc? Measured the distance between links as specified in the manual?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give it all a good scrub and lube first, sprockets too.
Might be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it and how much adjustment is there left in the chain?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teeth are hooked to hell, time to replace.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

my month old chain looks worse than that!

a dirty chain isnt a bad chain.

check if there are any stiff links,
lube it up and keep riding.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:36 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Sprocket wear that concerns me most.

If that's not enough to instantly write it off, then Ill clean, measure and lube the chain.

It's a GPZ500S

I'm aware that it is, in effect, gubbed, so with my limited knowledge, would normally just replace it. What I dont have any experience in is how long one can 'get away with it' and what constitutes it becoming a real issue in terms of breakage.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get away with it until you run out of adjustment assuming all the links move freely and that the link measurements are within the limits.

The sprockets are nearing the end of their life but they're not dead yet.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is still a bit of life left in the sprocket,
not much though,
order a new one sooner rather than later

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:31 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's hundreds of miles left in that sprocket, maybe thousands. I wouldn't throw money at a GPZ500S until absolutely necessary - something else could render it uneconomically viable before those teeth give up.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:05 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks gents. Will clean, lube and adjust it and see how it goes. Certainly it will be enough to see whether I like the gearing and hopefully enough to see the winter out.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather than replace the chain.. just replace front and back sprockets..the chain may well last <insert miles here> miles

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:12 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've done it.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpe2002 wrote:
rather than replace the chain.. just replace front and back sprockets..the chain may well last <insert miles here> miles

For the money and work involved, if I have to touch any of it, I'll do the lot. The worn chain wont do the new sprockets any good, it takes as much time or more and saves me less than £50 up front with the potential to cost me an extra 30-40 and the same time again down the line.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:11 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be looking at the front sprocket, not the rear. If it was installed at the same time as the rear one, it will look much, much worse. Worn front sprocket but new chain and good rear sprocket? Change front sprocket. Worn front sprocket but old chain and mediocre rear sprocket? Change chain and sprockets as a set.

Test the chain like this:
1) Eyeball it from the side to look for missing plates between links. If there are any, replace chain and sprockets as a set, because missing plates will cause the chain to snap.
2) Eyeball it from the rear and turn the back wheel, to check if it's straight. If it's crooked, replace chain and sprockets as a set.
3) Grab it from the 3 o'clock position on the rear sprocket, and pull it backward and push it side to side. Any lateral movement? Can you see daylight through it by pulling the chain clear from the sprocket in that position AND do you have sideways play? If so, change chain and sprockets as a set.
4) Check for the correct specs for tightness for the chain. See if there's a marked difference between the loosest and tightest parts of the chain. If there is, change chain and sprockets as a set, because tight spots will cause the chain to snap.

Chains and sprockets are normal consumables on a bike, along with oil, oil filters, seals, bearings, fuel and tyres. They are all part and parcel of what it costs to run a bike. You have to change them when needed, and not try to cut corners, otherwise you could be in some trouble. A snapped chain, particularly, poses a serious health risk to you and your bike. Chains and sprockets wear out together. Put a new chain on old sprockets, and it will wear out very fast. So, most of the time, you change them as a set.

It makes no difference that the bike is an old GPZ500S. The price of the bike on the used bikes market only reflects what the market is willing to pay for it, not whether it ought to be properly maintained to be kept roadworthy, or even whether it's any good. Even a Chinese scooter needs to be maintained properly. Besides, if you put a new chain and sprockets on it, you will notice it's a lot nicer and smoother to ride.

Last edited by Azoth on 15:15 - 25 Nov 2016; edited 1 time in total

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:14 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that no one has said this but....

Looks slack Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 wrote:

Looks slack Laughing

Can't judge, to crusty.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:02 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
You should be looking at the front sprocket, not the rear. If it was installed at the same time as the rear one, it will look much, much worse. Worn front sprocket but new chain and good rear sprocket? Change front sprocket. Worn front sprocket but old chain and mediocre rear sprocket? Change chain and sprockets as a set.

Test the chain like this:
1) Eyeball it from the side to look for missing plates between links. If there are any, replace chain and sprockets as a set, because missing plates will cause the chain to snap.
2) Eyeball it from the rear and turn the back wheel, to check if it's straight. If it's crooked, replace chain and sprockets as a set.
3) Grab it from the 3 o'clock position on the rear sprocket, and pull it backward and push it side to side. Any lateral movement? Can you see daylight through it by pulling the chain clear from the sprocket in that position AND do you have sideways play? If so, change chain and sprockets as a set.
4) Check for the correct specs for tightness for the chain. See if there's a marked difference between the loosest and tightest parts of the chain. If there is, change chain and sprockets as a set, because tight spots will cause the chain to snap.

Chains and sprockets are normal consumables on a bike, along with oil, oil filters, seals, bearings, fuel and tyres. They are all part and parcel of what it costs to run a bike. You have to change them when needed, and not try to cut corners, otherwise you could be in some trouble. A snapped chain, particularly, poses a serious health risk to you and your bike. Chains and sprockets wear out together. Put a new chain on old sprockets, and it will wear out very fast. So, most of the time, you change them as a set.

It makes no difference that the bike is an old GPZ500S. The price of the bike on the used bikes market only reflects what the market is willing to pay for it, not whether it ought to be properly maintained to be kept roadworthy, or even whether it's any good. Even a Chinese scooter needs to be maintained properly. Besides, if you put a new chain and sprockets on it, you will notice it's a lot nicer and smoother to ride.

Agree entirely, but my question wasnt "shall I change it if its knackered?" it was "how do I know it's knackered?"

From a quick glance, on a long termer, I'd change it for peace of mind, but I tend to be quite conservative with maintenance so I thought I'd consult the masses.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out and see what's what

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 wrote:

Looks slack Laughing

Thought that was the frame?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:30 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
"how do I know it's knackered?"

If it's jumping off the teeth, or they're snapping.

Can you pull the chain away from the rear of the sprocket? If so, the individual links[*] have stretched, and the chain doesn't fit the sprocket any more and is likely to jump. You should replace it then.

Well, I say that, but I can pretty much squeeze a Victorian chimney sweep in between my Nazi Tractor chain and sprocket, and have already lopped two links out of it, but am still eking out the miles.

[*] Yes, I know, the pins.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:42 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye check for stuck links and hardspots, all getting to the end of its life but its not dead yet. As others said, have a look at the front too if its from that set its going to be pretty worn.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Now you've done it.

Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:56 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:

The bike being an old GPZ500 does make a difference as if it were something with several times as much bhp then I'd be more cautious about trying to get as much life as possible out of the chain.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 26 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me a winter hack would be a cheap, tatty but mechanically sound bike. If you're not going to sort that out now you're not really going to bother at the end of winter, and pondering gear ratios is just a further excuse. You might be lucky though, just like the previous owner(s).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2