Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Project....Of My Heap of a GPZ (56K Warning!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:09 - 12 Sep 2004    Post subject: The Project....Of My Heap of a GPZ (56K Warning!) Reply with quote

Well it all started a few weeks back when I was sick to death of all the corrosion, dirt, grease and grime this bike had acquired over the years of being uncared for. So I started off stripping the fairing off the bike, then tank, air box, and then carbs. Once I’d cleaned out the carbs I got a bit bored, so I took a wander around my half naked-ish bike to see that I could hardly even figure out a suspension type character in the rear shock, so out came the rear wheel, took the chain off, then rear shock, cleaned up quite nicely, still was a tad rusty though, but sod it I couldn't be arsed anymore! Laughing

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of these stages (I don't have access to a proper camera, so I had to resort to my phone camera Confused yeah I warn you, the quality is shite but if it gives you an idea!) So on Saturday the 11th (yesterday) I stripped the rear end completely to begin spraying the frame once I had got rid of all the bubbling rust, etc. So far I’ve only managed to paint the frame, well I tell a lie, only half of the frame as I need to mask off the bits around the front end, and I’m going to repaint the top end of the engine as all of the paint has completely peeled off (least it save me the effort of scrubbing it off with steel wool, degreasant and meths! Laughing). There have been quite a few new parts that have needed replacing; the majority of those being bolts that have either rusted into the nuts, or that have sheared after coating them in WD40 and trying to remove them Rolling Eyes

So enough of the babbling, here's the before:

Front

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=3201

Rear

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=3202

And the current status of the bike (half way there):

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/Mobile0642.JPG

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/Mobile0643.JPG

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/Mobile0644.JPG

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/Mobile0645.JPG

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/Mobile0646.JPG

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/Mobile0647.JPG

Oh and before any of you say that guy that's trying to pretend as if he's doing something, is not me Razz Tis me paa Smile

Mike

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:00 - 13 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

\o/ the pictures finally work (sorry about that Embarassed)

Mike

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 13 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Cool Thumbs Up .

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 14 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Duke yours too?

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:42 - 14 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, it's my dad's (the guy in the pictures). He's not long since bought it and he has had the low rise titanium termignoni pipes/cans and race air filter fitted and it sounds gorgeous! So it's pretty fugging loud! Cool

Mike

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a propper naked bike!
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveiw wrote:
Is the Duke yours too?

Come to think about it, how on earth did you know it was a Ducati? Razz

Mike

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
m i k ePosted: 14 Sep 16:48 Post subject:
daveiw wrote:
Is the Duke yours too?

Come to think about it, how on earth did you know it was a Ducati?

Mike

What i thought also Shocked Damm good bike knowledge i say. Nice work with your bike by the way Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 14 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

m i k e wrote:
Come to think about it, how on earth did you know it was a Ducati? Razz

Mike

Well the Monster does have a distinctive rear end and those 2 Termingnoni's do stick out too Very Happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:28 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's been a tad more progress; although the weathers really been holding me back on this. It's been 2 or 3 weeks now since i've been able to do anything with the bike simply because it's been crap weather when ever i've had the time to work on it. But yesterday I finished spraying the frame a nice new silver Very Happy and I removed the old bent handle bar, replaced the throttle tube and bar, but had to spray the new (second hand handle bar). So now i've got the front end sorted, just need to spray the odd few bits, radiator grill, touch up the black wheels and spray the engine black again. Ooh and replace the front wheel as I managed to get a second hand wheel for £4 off ebay which is supposed to be pristine in black Very Happy \o/. Then Service the brakes, change the oil along with the filter, put the fairings back on and it's done Dance! .

Mike Smile

A few new photos.......

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, looking good. Thumbs Up

If you need a hand this weekend give me a shout, though I am busy on saturday though Smile.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:10 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Cheers, so how good are you at spray painting things? Razz Well luckily i'm off this week on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, in work on Sunday 11 til 5 then I might be able to get some more done in the evening like yesterday, so whenever your free mate, help's always good even if they just stand there and watch Laughing (or in the b!tches case, think it'd be really nice/good to get a bottle of tip-ex and paint the side walls of the tyres Doh! Brick Wall . At least it passes the time quicker when someone else is there though! Very Happy

Mike Smile

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

m i k e wrote:
Very Happy Cheers, so how good are you at spray painting things? Razz Well luckily i'm off this week on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, in work on Sunday 11 til 5 then I might be able to get some more done in the evening like yesterday, so whenever your free mate, help's always good even if they just stand there and watch Laughing (or in the b!tches case, think it'd be really nice/good to get a bottle of tip-ex and paint the side walls of the tyres Doh! Brick Wall . At least it passes the time quicker when someone else is there though! Very Happy

Mike Smile

You can also stare at my immaculate GPZ and be envious Razz.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:24 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigZZR wrote:

You can also stare at my immaculate GPZ and be envious Razz.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I laugh because I expect high standards of cleanliness, plus my dad would most likely roll out on his tongue-lick cleaned duke and put us both to shame, both with looks and noise Sad

Mike

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

m i k e wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I laugh because I expect high standards of cleanliness, plus my dad would most likely roll out on his tongue-lick cleaned duke and put us both to shame, both with looks and noise Sad

Mike

Oh, its clean, just ask the guys that were on the pet food run, Razz.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants Sad All my fairings are still in a crappy condition, your going to make mine look worse than it is! Sad

Mike

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:48 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can I see this thread getting similar to Yams and Smoto Bob's threads? Laughing

Mike

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 11 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore progress Mike?

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:08 - 11 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Very Happy There's been a fair bit more progress! Just need to post it all up, i've missed a few stages with pics and what not, but i'm putting it back together at the moment! \o/ I managed to buy a better condition front wheel too, for a fiver so i've touched that up a bit, so once i've got the bits back on the bike, i'll work on the front end. Whip the front wheel out, service the brakes, take both wheels to a garage and get the tyres changed. I've some how got to get the radiator grill off too (the fecking screws just won't undo Mad ), because that needs some more TLC. Then, then I think Razz it'll all be done! Mr. Green

Mike Smile

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 11 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy going for a ride when it's done, could be the north west branch of the GPZ owners club Laughing.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:08 - 12 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, although i'll have to insure it and what not yet! Just had to buy a car, and i'll be taxing and insuring that first, so the GPZ won't be up and running for at least a month or two Sad

Mike

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mike, hows it coming on or have you abandoned it yet? Razz

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:35 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I was shocked to see my thread had been revived; i've not had the slightest bit of a chance to get anymore done. Been well too busy with work and more importantly moving house, as i'm still getting the house sorted and the garage is full of rubbish, oh aswell as the bike........Mr. Green lol, I was actually thinking last night whilst looking through the garage that I really need to get back into getting the bike sorted! Smile

Mike

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 28 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mike, so hows your heap getting on?

Remember I have parts galore if you need any!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2