Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBay's Most Miserable Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 16 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What honkin' POS! The bolt-on cafe hoop is a new low, along with blackboard paint frame and those piggin' useless shocks. Not even com-stars can save it.

The best bit? what appear to be genuine Avon speedmasters..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stating the mileage shown on the clock is one of the few factually correct statements to be fair.
For £500 it might make a winter hack if you weren't too bothered about getting to your destination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

An email from eBay: "Make an offer for HONDA CX500 CAFE RACER..."

Nah, I'll leave it, thanks.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 18 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's a sad state of affairs when the brown saddle is the best bit.

I like that saddle. Embarassed

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gumtree.

I'm just curious that's all how a bike that has "never been registered on the road" has 71,000 miles? School bike for learning clutch control, or not.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-cg-125/1471312239
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Gumtree.

I'm just curious that's all how a bike that has "never been registered on the road" has 71,000 miles? School bike for learning clutch control, or not.

If it's done 71000 miles of dubious clutch control I dread to think how many clutches it's gone through. Laughing

Joking aside, that's got to be a downright lie. How many of those bikes ever get that many miles on them used everyday on the road.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Gumtree.

Doesn't make any sense, every cbt I did you use the same bike for the cone practice bit and the road.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 years 71 thou
that's around 2500 a year so not impossible for a busy playground bike

It might be a useful cheap hack for somebody if examined carefully
but apart from clutches what else has it suffered in this time?

I see the now defunct 'bristol motorcycle training centre' on the reg plate so two of my lads may have sat on that one at some time

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This where it used to live, not sure what happened to the BMT mob

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hambrook,+Bristol+BS16+1RS/@51.5232279,-2.5276454,186a,35y,237.24h,44.96t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x4871905dba6912cd:0x64eea744360823d!8m2!3d51.5228907!4d-2.5301924!16s%2Fg%2F1xcbp1_9?entry=ttu

Globule
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:02 - 12 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't post that often, but I laughed so much at this add, I thought I'd share Laughing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225952097814?hash=item349bcb6616:g:sx4AAOSwkhFlnSk6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0KnqV6S9PJMYQDHfHa7zCAc5HeXB7oz0YNrHsZCTpq7X1AcVYkAuSNLU0t7YC89g0UuUXMHCh6VlztVxq8126JJ3wzHU5EPfyoc5OIiKzWRoxv9ZUJRIp6xI2%2BGQL4Y5cvI7pL2y2q28vdlc4JFmksJ1OqGFmq%2Bd%2BRKxl3SEuZVKgsdQVWa4MWdPu5V8uidlfuBapZa7zBStaUT6B0v2LN7%2FJuk72fcIeIVjWXlggkukvIeXNOWnSQz%2FX99euWKFxKE9EtMlxPxIR66MfCjQNa8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-qXrPWfYw

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 12 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globule wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I paid less than that for a complete running pre diversion xj9 with a few months MOT left. Thats a 'break for parts' at best. Some mug will look at the 'idea' photo and get fooled by it though. Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 14 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see that in a Youtube video. Guy has a picture of the bike he wants to build, fails, and we hear "oh no! oh no!" Laughing
That would be amazing. I would upvote.

Would be better though if there were some way we could communicate to people that if you're gonna fuck up a project, could you please sort of tape the bits to the rolling chassis, so that more people could bid on it (as Shiply couriers would need to pick it up, roll it into the van and roll it out to your buyer's driveway).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 14 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I'd love to see that in a Youtube video. Guy has a picture of the bike he wants to build, fails, and we hear "oh no! oh no!" Laughing
That would be amazing. I would upvote.

I hate the I've go no time bull-shit. Come clean.. 'I ran out of skill, tools or what have you'. Custom bike builds to a good standard is tricky - real tricky and not like the mags or show-offs on cafebikebuilder.com will tell you.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 16 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom bike fails would be a hilarious and entertaining YouTube phenomenon. It's all entertainment at the end of the day. If you wanna fall asleep it's either Ceefax or some boring old cokehead doing a custom chop or bobber the proper way as if it's 1974. But seeing custom bike disasters would make us all feel good! Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 18 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one then? Just for a bit of fun.

https://i.ibb.co/qkCc79Q/s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225965423216

Lines don't flow. Tank isn't right (note the rear mounting). But mostly how the hardtail was done. The upper tubes look quite thin. I think the rear wheel wants to be farther back than it is. Looks to be an incomplete or improperly fitted hardtail conversion kit, that was never supposed to keep the original swingarm. What a strange way of doing it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rear end will never pass an MOT. In fact I doubt it would even get to the MOT station if you decided to ride it there.

Death trap.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. When that hits its second or third speed bump, I'd expect that something would collapse.

I think it was probably a kit he couldn't get to install properly because it's a shaftie and he wasn't prepared to extend the shaft. Those tubes look like a part of a kit, coming nicely to a tapered end. Therefore, they must have been supposed to have been supported by downtubes going to the underside of the frame, rounding down and then horizontally like an old Matchless or Triumph, and the swinging arm was supposed to have been omitted. That's my guess. To have made it work, he would have had to either make a shaft housing or convert it to chain drive. The latter would have necessitated opening the engine and replacing the output shaft so he could fit a front sprocket. If he'd done so, he would have been able to place the rear wheel farther back and installed a fat rear tyre and rim. Maybe built new spoked wheels front and rear as well, to make it look right. The tank is also wrong for that bike, unless he could extend the rake.

Having looked at some British bikes, there's that flat seat and tank look they mostly have. If he was going for that look, a lot more planning and work would be required, as well as a different shape of tank. The path of least resistance would have been to go for an American sort of look, using that tank. Still would have needed to throw that rear wheel farther back and done the hardtail properly though. He ran out of ability there. It's probably a good parts bike for someone, as at least it sort of runs (and most of them don't). The position of the ignition key is bad, as it risks shutting off the bike if he puts both feet down at the lights. The fit and finish of the aftermarket parts is all junk and the parts he's chosen are cheap and of bad quality - just crap.

The rear is so weird.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:04 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
That rear end will never pass an MOT.

Well, no... but:

Quote:
should be elegible for historic/vintage vehicle of over 40 years old so exempt from needing road tax, MOT

Oh OK...

Quote:
This bike is heavily modified

Ah. Methinks someone's not read the regs; either that or he's been told it'll never pass an MOT and he's simply bullshitting any potential new owners.

Either way, it's a complete turd. Apart from anything else, why on earth do some people insist on removing perfectly good rear suspension and going back to the 19th century when building these shitheaps?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:17 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It requires a Q-plate for sure, under the rules.

You can only get historic vehicle status if:

"no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works"

Source:

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

That means it needs a Q-plate and an MOT, before it can be ridden on the road. But you'd have to be fucking nuts to ride that on the road. Bump, bump, crack - the rear will pop open somewhere.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:59 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It requires a Q-plate for sure, under the rules.

True, but I bet they don't bother... it may have changed since I did it, but all you had to do was sign a form and send it to DVLA, no photos or anything. Both times I did it no-one checked up, they just sent me a new V5c.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

You can only get historic vehicle status if:

"no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works"

Source:

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Ah that may be the general guidelines however page 2 of the v112 exemption declaration form states (other than for motorcycles)
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f7eceefe90e07741465559a/v112-declaration-of-exemption-from-mot.pdf

I agree with you though, its a really badly done hardtail that shouldn't go on the road without significant rework by someone other than Ray Charles.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a pic of what appears to be a relatively unmolested xj750 frame
(albiet with rear end cut off)
the shock tops look connected though
you can see the load from the rear axle is connected to that rigid triangle in a fairly conventional way
https://imgur.com/FYf36NS.jpg

It looks like this guy had a better idea and allowed the swinging arm to still 'swing' so all the weight/force on the rear end relies on the welds and the long skinny looking bar holding up

Yeah that'll do it, what could possibly go wrong?

https://imgur.com/l1CJRDx.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Union Jack on a Japanese bike?

Union Jack flag design that's wrong?

Rolling Eyes

But perhaps the most baffling thing about that bike shaped object is that two people have bid on the auction. Shocked

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The swingarm is still allowed to swing up. I reckon if someone sits on it, you'd see those skinny upper tubes deflect.
The whole thing is just awful. What was he thinking?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Union Jack on a Japanese bike?

Quite.. the 'outlawed' rising sun might have worked better.

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 65 of 66