Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

starting a 125 cg

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lnewland
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:55 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: starting a 125 cg Reply with quote

I have found that my bike takes several kicks to get it started. i have sent the carb in to be cleaned up and checked today but if its not that what can i do so that it doesnt take so many kicks or just the one cheers lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bike well serviced? How many miles are on it?
K0rnIsAFAGGOT This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

lnewland
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:09 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

only brought the bike two days ago. no knowledge of the service history. and apparently it has just had a new spark plug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd chuck in a new one anyway and check the air filter.

If there are lots of miles on it the valve clearances are worth a check.

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find the carefully hidden choke?

f.

lnewland
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:29 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropped my carb of at local motorbike shop today and they cleaned it out and said all was ok with it. refitted it but just cant now seem to get her started. I have tried it with the choke in all three positions and no difference. removed the spark plug and gave it a clean up and re fitted. but still wont fire up.
cant say i have noticed where the air filter is so not checked that can anyone give me an idea.
sorry for all the questions only started with bikes about a week ago. always driven cars
Finpos
carefully hiddent choke?

I_Hate_Euro3
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: starting a 125 cg Reply with quote

lnewland wrote:
I have found that my bike takes several kicks to get it started. i have sent the carb in to be cleaned up and checked today but if its not that what can i do so that it doesnt take so many kicks or just the one cheers lee

Have you found the Honda CG125 website?
Have a look at the Basic Fault Finding page.

https://hondacg125.awardspace.com/

How is the battery voltage.

What about the petrol filter?

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously have found the choke!

First thing to do is to put a new plug in it, don't mess around trying to clean the old one up, if it's contaminated it's very hard to fix it*. It should then start with 1 or 2 kicks with the choke lever fully on (Up). However, it will not run like that, you must put the choke to the mid position immediately it fires up, then off within a minute or so.

* if you do want to try, get it very hot indeed with a blow-torch, Wiping it will do nothing. Replace it and start the engine while it's still hot. New plug is cheap and easier.

f.

Xenocide
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:07 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the carb been primed after it's clean? As in, is there any fuel in there? Any air in the fuel line?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Xenocide
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:09 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, incidently, I have the Haynes manual for the CG125. PM me if you want a copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lydanial
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:50 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have watched a few people trying to start my wifes old cg (when she had it), both the new buyer and my brother when trying to start it was pinning the throttle open and kicking it to death and it never wanted to start.

choke up position, no throttle, couple of kicks and fires up, sometimes it would stall straight away so then choke middle or down and kick again and away she went.. no throttle at all.

i dont know if its relevant but are you opening the throttle as like i said our old one would only maybe try to fire once like that and then gave up.

Xenocide
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:03 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CG wanted just a tiny bit of throttle to start most of the time (and no choke)

lnewland
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:10 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all as you might have seen from my other post she fired into life this morning on the first kick. going to empty the fuel tank this evening and put fresh fuel in and hopefully tomorrow my new rear light will arrive and ill be on the road
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1