Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Few questions on road regestering an offroad bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:58 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Few questions on road regestering an offroad bike Reply with quote

I have seen more and more people havning things liek RM250's and KX500 and CR500's on the road.

If i bought an offroadbike, to use for a bit on the road, are their any requirements, like full light kit, speedo, indicators.

Does it cost anything to regester and offroad bike on the road ?

Cheers for all help

Alex

phill.c
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you have to have a front light, back light (brake light), not 100% about the indicators.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:20 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd firstly have to apply for a V5 with the DVLA with the frame and engine numbers. You'll then need to get it MOT'ed and you could either get a day time only MOT or a full one, for the day time only you would need a rear brake light and rear reflector. You do not need front headlight, rear light or indicators unless you want to get a full MOT. Have a read over this site for all the general MOT requirements.

It costs £38 to register a vehicle with the DVLA. All the details about registering a vehicle are on the DVLA website.

It would also need to be taxed and insured like any other vehicle

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:35 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering making a cr250 road legal, i thought it was more hassle than that though, i may reconsider.

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:52 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im on your thinking marc, ive seen so many cheap realible offroad bikes (if looked after), so why not use the extra cash i have to supermoto it and get it on the road Very Happy

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:53 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i find light kits for offroad bikes to buy then :o

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:17 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Problem is that these moto cross bikes do not have any way of charging the battery so you land up with a total loss system (so not really practical to fit anything other than the minimun legal lighting). Also I think you need an electric horn and a speedo (and I think you technically need a mile counter).

To get the V5 you will need an MOT.

It is probably best to go for one of the enduro versions of these bikes as these will already have a charging system.

All the best

Keith

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind putting a CR125 on the road, first away at the lights no sweat. How hard would it be to get insurance for the like of that though?

roozor
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:48 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats also what was thinking, getting inssurance, would it be hard ?

Also how much does an MOT cost for a bike these days

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Registering your SM (updated 13/04/04)

The following information was supplied by various sources over the past year, however I recently (april 04) tried to register an Enduro bike (OK, so it doesn't have dip/main beam lights and brake lights and stuff, but it's not a MX bike!) . It was brand new and an official UK model - but I've been told by the local office that you now *DO* need an SVA test if you are intending to use the bike on the road at all. Otherwise, you can register it as an 'OFF ROAD' bike (there's no reg fee or road tax) and you get a Q-plate....great!! They've obviously wised up to this recently as they are now being very tight on it. Anyone would think they didn't want your money!

So take the information below with a pinch of salt and be prepared for a punch up....

All vehicles being registered for the road now need either 'type aproval' or an expensive Single Vehicle Aproval test (£70-100) - from June 2003....

I have recently been contacted by several people who have managed to road registered their SMs (CR500's etc) by getting an exemption based on the fact the bike is and ENDURO bike (which of course it is - if you leave the big wheels in!).The qualifying criteria for enduro competition machine is a huge seat height and over 310mm ground clearance. Details are on the DVLA web site...When you get to the box for type approval on the V55/5 form you just put in Competition exempt .

According to the DVLA: An Enduro motorcycle is defined as having the following characteristics:-
a) a minimum seat height of 900 mm - AND
b) a minimum ground clearance of 310 mm

If you don't stand your ground may end up with hassle over emissions and all sort of things on the test. (thickness of the mudguards, width of footpegs, glue used to stick the grips on (OK- I was joking about that last one!!.....))

Other items you will need include:

1. Proof of age (unless you want a Q plate). Classic services (0161 775 9567) can do a certificate based on the frame number, they charged about £30 or you can try approaching the importer direct (Honda UK, Kawasaki UK, KTM, etc.) some manufacturers, Kawasaki for instance, don't charge to provide a proof of age.

2. A MOT if the bike is more than 3 years old (quoting the frame number), daylight use only is easy, all you need is a horn (the Megahorn for pushbikes is about £8 from Halford's). This saves any hassle with lights & indicators. Also remember legal tyres & BS193 stamped or engraved on the silencer. A Speedo' is also a legal requirement but not necessary for MOT (£6 for a Sigma push bike one @ Halford's).

If you need a lighting kit (to get your 'full' MOT) Pro Racing come highly recommended: Pro-Racing, 15 Gresley Close, Drayton Fields, Daventry, Northants. NN1 5RZ, England. Tel +44 (0)1327-301322.

3. Insurance, again you can get this based on the frame number.

4. Personal ID!!! (this is a new one as of Jan 2004!!) - If you're going down the local office to register a bike you will need proof of ID....you have to either take your passport down or licence plus a utility bill or a form id to prove where you live!

Then you can:

5. Phone your local vehicle licencing & registration office, tell them what you intend doing & they will send you a form (v55/5 or v55/4). Fill this in, enclose the documents above & fees for tax & registration (if you're doing it by post rather than in person at the local office) & within 7 days they will send you the new tax disc & reg. no.

Useful links: https://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/ (vehicle inspectorate)
https://www.dvla.gov.uk/ (Driver & vehicle licencing association)

(ripped from supermotech.co.uk )
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 318 days between these two posts...

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 14 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is an old thread, but theres alot of shit in it.
My bike is road registered, no lights atall - PERIOD, a battery horn, cheap pushbike speedo and me numberplate - THATS IT.
Right road registering an off road bike for road use DAYTIME ONLY (Note night time use requires lights - but that aint no fun)
My ktm factory race bike is road registered now - so heres a little heads up on how,
1. i got the bike.
2. i contacted ktm and gave them the frame and engine number, they confirmed what the bike was and sent me a 'certificate of newness'- (also referred to as authenticity cert)
3. next i prepped the bike for daytime mot, road legal tyres, battery powered horn (thanks Beer) and overall good mechanical condition. Flew through .
4. next i insured it through bennets on the frame number - 30 days you have to get a registration number to them i.e. get yourself sorted.
5. went into dvla office (just go in no appointment needed) with a completed v55/5 - tick exempt from type approval (the bike will have to be classed as enduro to skip SVA testing), mot certificate, receipt of purchase, certificate of newness, insurance cover note, photo driving licence oh and i had to complete a vat form. After a chat with a seriously boring woman she booked my bike in for 2 weeks later for inspection .Make sure you stress it is an enduro bike. They retain all your paperwork bar your insurance certficate. I paid for a years tax and the inspection there and then on me switch card - bout' 100 quid.
6. inspection day, the guy checked the engine and frame number, measured the clearence from floor to seat and the distance from floor to underside of engine/frame. My seat eight was 940mm and the floor to engine underside was 300mm. He confirmed if it was an enduro - yes i replied 'a ktm 660 factory supermoto....enduro' Wink Twisted Evil
7. 3 days later all my paperwork arrives back + tax disc and letter confirming new registration number and authorisation of number plate purchase letter-logbook pending.

EASY.
Another guideline to be classed as an enduro i believe the seat height has to be a minimum of 925mm and the engine underside to floor 300mm. I just jacked mine right up for the inspection which with a little bit of inventiveness can be done to anything.

Also note a speedo is not an mot requirement or even needed for he inspection but is a legal requirment when riding on the road.
HOPE THIS IS AN EASYGUIDE TO FOLLOW Mr. Green

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:59 - 14 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyboy wrote:
3. next i prepped the bike for daytime mot, road legal tyres, battery powered horn (thanks Beer) and overall good mechanical condition. Flew through .

There is legally no such thing as a daytime MOT.

All the best

Keith

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 14 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

All the best

Keith

talk about play on words Rolling Eyes
mot for daytime use only...better?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:14 - 14 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is no difference at all between an MOT for a bike used in the daytime and one not used in the daytime. Doesn't matter if the MOT tester decides to write on it "daytime use only". Has no legal meaning.

The lighting rules are described in the MOT manual (and in more detail in the contruction and use rules).

Rules on required lighting are here:-

https://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_6.htm#nschiobligatorylampreflectorrearmarkingdevice

Strange bit is where it says :-

Quote:

(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to-

(a) a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,

when the rear position lamp is compulsory on a bike without any exceptions.

All the best

Keith

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:21 - 14 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey is spot on ...side by side those MOTs look identical,no wording to say daytime only!!!!! Wink

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

All the best

Keith

talk about play on words Rolling Eyes
mot for daytime use only...better?

ok ok just to put to a close... Rolling Eyes an mot test satisfying the requirments of using a motorcycle in periods of daylight.
All lighting checks are endorsed non applicable and a second sheet is added saying 'for daytime use only'
The certs are identical but the vehicle even if then fitted with lights cannot be used in hours of darkness until a new mot test is carried out to incorporate this.
This is commonly known as a DAYTIME MOT because it is only valid in daylight hours. But then if anyone does a search on www.visordown.com or www.ktmforum.co.uk where people do this all the time (me included) they would know this.
I bet you call a 'stanley knife' a 'changeable bladed knife' dont ya....
''well technically that ones made by b&q'' Rolling Eyes

oh yeah im sure the mot tester knows his shit??? no???

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:37 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyboy wrote:
ok ok just to put to a close... Rolling Eyes an mot test satisfying the requirments of using a motorcycle in periods of daylight.

And also not used in times of reduced visability. However it is an advisory note that it should only be used in daylight hours / OK visability. As such using it at night would, MOT wise, be legal (although a pretty stupid idea and likely to get you done for other offences).

Doesn't avoid the fact that whether you can get it through an MOT or not that is seperate from whether it complies with construction and use regulations (which insist on a rear position lamp, which then renders the other lights compulsory). Exactly the same as having an exhaust that the MOT tester allows through but which could see you prosecuted by the police if they were in a bad mood, or even the speedo which you noted is not an MOT requirement but is legally required.

monkeyboy wrote:
This is commonly known as a DAYTIME MOT because it is only valid in daylight hours. But then if anyone does a search on www.visordown.com or www.ktmforum.co.uk where people do this all the time (me included) they would know this.

Might be commonly known as this, but there is strictly no such things. It is just an MOT with an advisory notice. People commonly do lots of things and get away with it (whether that is putting off road bikes on the road, or riding full power bikes on a 33hp licence), but that doesn't make it legal.

Yes I might be being slightly picky, but then I would rather not see people blindly follow advice thinking they are safe when they could easily be prosecuted. I don't really care if people can fiddle in on the road and choose to use it, as long as they know the situation they are putting themselves into.

All the best

Keith

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:01 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Might be commonly known as this, but there is strictly no such things. It is just an MOT with an advisory notice. People commonly do lots of things and get away with it (whether that is putting off road bikes on the road, or riding full power bikes on a 33hp licence), but that doesn't make it legal.

Yes I might be being slightly picky, but then I would rather not see people blindly follow advice thinking they are safe when they could easily be prosecuted. I don't really care if people can fiddle in on the road and choose to use it, as long as they know the situation they are putting themselves into.

Well said, Keith.

The myth of the "Daytime MoT" is perhaps the most misunderstood thing in the world of motorcycling. You either have passed a MoT test or you haven't. End of story.

It crops up time and time again on various forums, but regardless of how often people talk about them or claim to have one, they don't exisit. Bit like the fabled "red mercury" (STFW!) that terrorists try and buy.

Strictly speaking, by writing "Daytime Only" or similar on the certificate the tester has spoilt the certificate by defacing it - although it would be a picky traffic cop to deem your certificate invalid because of it.

The MoT requirements and the Road Traffic Act sometimes conflict - for example you must have a working speedo on your 'bike, but this is not a MoT requirement.

But back to the original question: Yes, you can make an off-road 'bike legally useable on the road, but the effort and compromises required means that it's probably not worth it.

HTH Smile

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah well said poppets Rolling Eyes
well to the rest of this country a 'daytime mot' is a reality, ive actually got one! albeit its for a unicorn...but thats not the point.
Any peeps looking in Thumbs Up it is worth road registering off road bikes, it is very easy and if you follow the steps you'll succeed.
Comeon..theres nowt beter than riding a bike not meant/produced for road use....make ya mind up.
Peace out ****** Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:11 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyboy wrote:
well to the rest of this country a 'daytime mot' is a reality, ive actually got one! albeit its for a unicorn...but thats not the point.
Any peeps looking in Thumbs Up it is worth road registering off road bikes, it is very easy and if you follow the steps you'll succeed.
Comeon..theres nowt beter than riding a bike not meant/produced for road use....make ya mind up.

Its a reality only as a severe bending of the MOT rules by following the strict MOT guidelines to the letter. There is no official daytime MOT setup, there is no official way of getting a civil servant to tell you about 'daytime MOT'.

It isn't within the spirit of the law but strictly speaking its legal as far as the MOT goes. There are other rules which govern what state your bike needs to be in to be on the road, and these are called 'construction and use' rules.

If you break these (which you will be unless you have a headlight etc on a bike newer than 1936 or something) then you are liable for prosecution by the police.

What Kickstart is saying is: You may be able to convince your MOT tester to obey the rules in the strictest possible way because of the way they are worded, but it doesn't make your bike road legal, and a copper who really knows his stuff (they are few and far between) will prosecute you for riding it in that state.

Its the difference between being within the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, IE bending the rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Its a reality only as a severe bending of the MOT rules by following the strict MOT guidelines to the letter. There is no official daytime MOT setup, there is no official way of getting a civil servant to tell you about 'daytime MOT'.

It isn't within the spirit of the law but strictly speaking its legal as far as the MOT goes. There are other rules which govern what state your bike needs to be in to be on the road, and these are called 'construction and use' rules.

If you break these (which you will be unless you have a headlight etc on a bike newer than 1936 or something) then you are liable for prosecution by the police.

What Kickstart is saying is: You may be able to convince your MOT tester to obey the rules in the strictest possible way because of the way they are worded, but it doesn't make your bike road legal, and a copper who really knows his stuff (they are few and far between) will prosecute you for riding it in that state.

Its the difference between being within the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, IE bending the rules.

put over in a better way Thumbs Up and as for coppers YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWN.......lets be honest how many rozzers know the MOT regs? (your right) oh yeah 4got to say.....if a daytime mot is illegal or whatever, why do DVLC inspectors accept it as proof of road worthiness???
Its a bloody great grey area rife for exploitation............now lets exploit it:twisted:

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334395&highlight=daytime+mot

https://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322107&highlight=daytime+mot

https://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314565&highlight=daytime+mot

''This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with an advisory notice recording the above and it should also be recorded on the carbon copy of the VT20."

THIS IS 'COMMONLY' KNOWN AS DAYTIME MOT:)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:11 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

monkeyboy wrote:
lets be honest how many rozzers know the MOT regs? (your right)

Find one who knows construction and use regs and then the fun starts. If nasty they might be able to stitch you up with 3 points for CU20 offence code (Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of use of unsuitable vehicle or using a vehicle with parts or accessories (excluding brakes, steering or tyres) in a dangerous condition).

monkeyboy wrote:
oh yeah 4got to say.....if a daytime mot is illegal or whatever, why do DVLC inspectors accept it as proof of road worthiness???

Because it is not a daytime MOT. It is an MOT with an advisory that it should only be used in good visability, and the DVLA inspectors are mainly bothered about whether you are trying to register a stolen bike or some other bureaucratic fiddle. Think your MOT is perfectly valid should you wish to ride the bike at night (just that they would no doubt find loads of other things to do you for instead, and I presume you are not suicidal enough to try it).

It is a big loophole (as the MOT tester has no training for whether a bike is legal, merely whether it passes the MOT regs), which for most vehicles is closed by needing an SVA test.

All the best

Keith

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
oh yeah 4got to say.....if a daytime mot is illegal or whatever, why do DVLC inspectors accept it as proof of road worthiness???

Because it is not a daytime MOT. It is an MOT with an advisory that it should only be used in good visability, and the DVLA inspectors are mainly bothered about whether you are trying to register a stolen bike or some other bureaucratic fiddle. Think your MOT is perfectly valid should you wish to ride the bike at night (just that they would no doubt find loads of other things to do you for instead, and I presume you are not suicidal enough to try it).

What he said Thumbs Up

Blimey - it's like pulling teeth... It's not that hard to understand... or is it?

Rolling Eyes

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeyboy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAH JUST FUNNY AS FOOK Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
I do love coming on these forums with peeps who play on words, if anything ya give me a good chuckle!! Laughing
pulling teeth?? ya a dentist too?LMFAO!
or is it 'removing teeth'??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ya know though sweethearts peeps commonly call this 'myth' a 'daytime mot'......sorry about that, if i were you id start a petition at no.10's website or somethin'! Laughing Laughing
Anyways i would say that anyone wanting to get an 'mot with advisories' done (shhhhhhhhhh people commonly refer to it as daytime mot Rolling Eyes ) do it!! Laughing Laughing
I love the race bike look and the plod have never pulled me to date! But dont ride at night with no lights (the mot certificate will say lights n/a - its a hint honest! Rolling Eyes )

IM GONNA ENJOY THIS FORUM Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2