BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road 6 or Road 6 GT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 13:17 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Road 6 or Road 6 GT Reply with quote

Time for some new tyres!

I've always sworn by S22 in the past but everyone is raving about the Road 6 saying they're just as good as S22 in the dry, but better in the wet and harder wearing (the Diablo Rosso IV that came with my bike wore out in 3,000 miles and I wasn't overly impressed with the performance so any improvement on that will be a bonus).

I've read the only difference between the Road 6 and the Road 6 GT is an extra ply on the GT to handle heavier bikes.

So cost and ability to handle heavier bikes aside, are there any other differences?

Would going for the GT result in less dry or wet grip or handling/performance in any way, however small?

I assume being exactly the same trad pattern and, presumably the same compound, the grip would be identical? Or would the extra rigidity of the GT have an effect on the handling?

Going on a Multistroodle so not sure if the GT is necessary for the weight anyway, however if there any no drawbacks and only positives (i.e. harder wearing and/or possibly more puncture resistant?) I don't mind spending a few extra quid.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v4 is only a few kg heavier than my r1100s which does just fine on the non-gt road 6

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine switching away from S22's personally now I've had some. Standard fit on my bike from factory and
frankly I've been astounded by them. VASTLY superior to the road 5's I had on my MT09 when I sold it which slipped
on me in both wet and dry conditions enough for me to not trust them and feel like I had to nanny the bike round
bends a bit. I've had occasion to only ride in the wet the once on my MT10 on the day it had first service which I'd
booked weeks prior (or I would have left it in the shed) and even then they were confidence inspiring with only 450
running in miles on them. I'm probably going to buy a couple of sets and stick them in the shed until I need them which
at my rate of riding might be a while.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 06:22 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had the Road 6 GTs fitted (front and rear) the other day and almost immediately felt different.

Not in a good way.

Haven't had the opportunity to get some high speed cornering in on them yet but the slow to medium stuff just felt very stiff and heavy, like it was giving resistance turning. Compared to the Diablo Rosso IVs anyway. Just not very confidence inspiring. It just felt like a lot more input was required to get the bike to do what I wanted it to do whereas before I just thought, and it went.

Is this normal? Do the tyres just need to bed in or something? Or is this just totally to be expected going from Diablo Rosso IVs to Road 6 GTs?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

try letting some pressure out of the front tyre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I fitted Pilot Road 3s to my FJ1200 for rides around the continent two up with luggage. They lasted 7,000 miles and wore strangely.

So for the 2019 ride around down to Italy I fitted a new PR3 front and a PR4-GT. There was an immediate feeling of how taught the rear felt from the stiffer sidewalls and not as much bump compliance as the previous PR3.But this has been in my favour as the PR4-GT looks hardly worn after 7,500 miles from the 2019 and this years rides down to Italy.The front PR3 has not worn anything like the previous front as well.Maybe this is down to the new YSS shock that I fitted Thinking

Always have a 'Plan B'

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 02:59 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Thanks for drawing my attention to this - while it's a check you should do before every ride, it never occurred to me that the pressures might not be correct from the shop having just had the tyres changed.

Says 36psi front and rear on the swingarm.

Rear is about 36.7 which is about right but front is reading just over 31psi. So it's under, not over. Haven't ridden since my last message and it's a bit late to get the pump out now (neighbours) but I'll inflate to the correct pressures tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:05 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard road GTs lasted a long time but didn’t grip as well as just plain roads. The standard roads are already road oriented enough, I can’t imagine trading more grip for longevity to be honest…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 17:11 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I heard road GTs lasted a long time but didn’t grip as well as just plain roads. The standard roads are already road oriented enough, I can’t imagine trading more grip for longevity to be honest…

Michelin told me they're identical apart from a stiffer carcass. They wouldn't specify whether one had more grip over the other, regardless how small. As I alluded to before, it is possible I suppose that, even with identical rubber, the stiffer carcass on the GT allows for slightly less deformation to the road surface and therefore less contact area?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Roat 6 have plenty of grip.

What I have found is that the front lasts a lot longer than Road5/PR4. I ride quite heavy on the front and would wear out a front Road5 with the rear only 70% worn or so. Same with PR4. This set of Road 6 are worn a little more on the rear right now so I expect it'll be even stevens when it comes to changing them.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

It was the tyre pressure! Although it was underinflated, not overinflated.

I took it out yesterday to Ashford and back, the front end is telepathic again, yay!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

its worth experimenting with the pressures. its surprising how much difference a couple of psi can make.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently! I knew 36psi front and rear was optimal (recommended) but I really didn't think 5psi would make a noticable different to an intermediate rider like myself, thought that kinda stuff was more for trackday nuts. Clearly 5psi is more significant than I thought it would be.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:19 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
Evidently! I knew 36psi front and rear was optimal (recommended) but I really didn't think 5psi would make a noticable different to an intermediate rider like myself, thought that kinda stuff was more for trackday nuts. Clearly 5psi is more significant than I thought it would be.

5psi is a big percentage of the overall pressure. Yes it will be noticeable! 1psi, perhaps not so much, but 5? Definitely.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:02 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Michelin fan-boi for the longest time, going through pretty much every generation of PR.

The PR2 were a revelation compared to everything I'd had before: Excellent grip wet or dry and lasted nigh on 10k miles.

But the subsequent generations of PR never felt anything like as special and I think they've been left behind a bit these days.

My last set were a set of PR5s and they were OK. They were replaced, slightly unintentionally, by a set of Bridgestone 023s which I turned out to prefer.

By comparison, the PR5s felt squidgy or, in more technical terms, I could feel the sidewall flex. On the 023s I can't.

Ok, this is all probably irrelevant to the OP but in future I could well see me using newer gen Bridgestones in preference to the Michelins.

They're cheaper, like for like, too.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 20:15 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/eLSfj_-2yZ0?si=ePjN7vQDDa68ic6u

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Street triple r that came with r6's on. Hated the feel, changed to S22's and it felt like a different bike. Much better when on the edge of the tyre. The r6's will be going on my 660 tiger sport when the r5's wear out.

OGR

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 02:10 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: Road 6 or Road 6 GT Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
I've always sworn by S22 in the past but everyone is raving about the Road 6 saying they're just as good as S22 in the dry, but better in the wet and harder wearing (the Diablo Rosso IV that came with my bike wore out in 3,000 miles and I wasn't overly impressed with the performance so any improvement on that will be a bonus).

So what are everyone's views on the S23s now they've been released?

Anyone had chance to try them yet?

The current time of year is of particularly pertinent to my inquiry.

I switched away from S22s to Road 6s because (although I'm not talented enough to tell the difference, not without comparing them back to back anyway) I've been lead to believe that the Road 6s match the S22s dry performance, but are much better in the wet/gravel/potholes, plus they yield higher mileage.

Now the S23 has been released, Bridgestone are claiming improvements in ALL areas (dry performance, wet performance and mileage).

I wonder how that now ranks the S23s against the Road 6s Thinking

I used to value dry grip above all else on the basis that I'm unlikely to push the bike that hard in the wet and I don't put enough miles on my bike to care about the cost of the tyres wearing out quicker. However you can't put a price on increased confidence in the wet (whether you ride to the limit or not), and the S22s were wearing out quickly enough for it to become a bit of a nuisance, cost aside. Which is why I switched to Road 6s as they have comparable dry performance as the S22s but are, allegedly, superior in every other way.

But because the dry performance is as good as it is on the Road 6s, and that any increase in dry performance is likely to be completely lost on my skill level - I'd not be willing to compromise on wet performance, mileage, or stability through gravel/potholes.

If the S23s are still not a match for the Road 6s wet performance, mileage, and stability through gravel/potholes, despite Bridgestone's claims of improving in every area, I'll stick with the Frog brand.

What we need is Motorcycle Tyre Top Trumps!

Thoughts?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 02:13 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: Road 6 or Road 6 GT Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
What we need is Motorcycle Tyre Top Trumps!

Or better yet, a spreadsheet!

Did I mention that it is World Autism Awareness Day on Tuesday 2 April 2024?

Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 20 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What!? A spreadsheet with 2 columns? Seems to me this thread is too narrowly focused for a spreadsheet to be of much help. Wink

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

Surely the bridgestone t32 is more comparable with the road 6?
Power would compare to the s22.

Oh, yes the bridgestone walls do seem to have less flex than others and can be a bugger to fit.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 20:37 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Re: Tyres Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Surely the bridgestone t32 is more comparable with the road 6?
Power would compare to the s22.

Oh, yes the bridgestone walls do seem to have less flex than others and can be a bugger to fit.

While on the face of it that would seem to make sense:
T32 and Road 6 being classed touring tyres
S22/S23 and Power 6 being classed sports tyres

However I'm lead to believe that the sportiness and dry performance on the Road 6 is so good that unless you're doing track days the Power 6 is kinda pointless when the wet performance and mileage is so good on the Road 6.

Whereas the sportiness and dry performance on the T32 does not match that of the Road 6, so if going Bridgestone and you value a bit of sportiness and dry performance (rather than just wanting a hard wearing tyre for commuting and touring and not sporty riding) then the S22/S23 would be the tyre to go for as the T32 doesn't cut it on the sporty side of things unlike the Road 6.

Like I said, being far from an expert on the matter, not having had the chance to test any tyres back to back myself, and only going by what I have read and watched elsewhere, that seems to be what I have inferred from the information available to me.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 20:48 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say there's a noticable difference between the handling and performance of the S22s compared to the Road 6.

I will say however the Road 6 seems to be wearing a lot better than my old S22s.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youve nailed the major difference.... mileage!
The amount of time we get in the UK that super sticky tyres work at their best makes the more 'touring' option the sensible one.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
I think youve nailed the major difference.... mileage!
The amount of time we get in the UK that super sticky tyres work at their best makes the more 'touring' option the sensible one.

Which pretty much eliminates the S22 from the running.

I'm guessing the mileage of the Road 6 as at least as good as the T32, which eliminates the T32 from the running.

Question is, with Bridgestone's claimed improvement on mileage and wet performance on their now S23 - are they as good as the existing Road 6?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2