Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap helmet cam recommendation?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:54 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Cheap helmet cam recommendation? Reply with quote

I want to get a helmet camera to deter the small proportion of drivers who are vicious idiots. Any recommendations?

I'd like the cheapest possible one with barely acceptable resolution, don't really care about low light capability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get GoPro copies that are pretty good from what I have seen plus they fit the GoPro mounts that are available from many sources. Is that the sort of thing you are after?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Cheap helmet cam recommendation? Reply with quote

jimster wrote:
I want to get a helmet camera to deter the small proportion of drivers who are vicious idiots. Any recommendations?

I'd like the cheapest possible one with barely acceptable resolution, don't really care about low light capability.

If you just want the cheapest possible option just buy any old ship Apeman camera from Amazon and be done but you will be disappointed.

Resolution isn't the main thing on action cams, you need something with a very high bit-rate so it records things clearly without visual artifacts. Unfortunately the only way you will achieve this is by spending good money.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Cheap helmet cam recommendation? Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
jimster wrote:

If you just want the cheapest possible option just buy any old ship Apeman camera from Amazon and be done but you will be disappointed.

Resolution isn't the main thing on action cams, you need something with a very high bit-rate so it records things clearly without visual artifacts. Unfortunately the only way you will achieve this is by spending good money.

What do you think of this mate?

https://www.dashvision.co.uk/products/dash-cam-action-for-helmet-handlebar?variant=45125270995226

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 15 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Cheap helmet cam recommendation? Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Personally I am skeptical of it. In their video, you will note the bonnet of the vehicle coming into and out of the frame from time to time in the bottom right which makes me think it is stabilised by an external mechanical gimble instead of being fixed in place and using software image stabilisation.

I personally don't trust any camera that can be bought off eBay brand new for £25.60 including 3-day shipping:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155027315301

But then again at that price, it might be worth just taking a punt and seeing if it works for you.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is sure to disappoint even their own video is 5hit you can't read that truck number plate for example it looks like ten year old tech.
They want to charge you £14.99 for a 32GB card Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 30 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a camera in the end?

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:37 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Did you get a camera in the end?

I've currently got 17 cameras in my Amazon basket, ranging from £14.99 to £275.99 that all have almost exactly the same photo and specs and reviews and just trying to figure out what. the. fuuuuu***** is Jeff Bezos playing at before I pull the trigger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheap but the Action 4 is state of the art currently and could also be used as a general video camera rather than waving a phone about.
Particularly impressive in low light, and the stabilisation + good battery life.
Https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Osmo-Action-Standard-Combo/dp/B0C783YNW7
I wouldn't want it on helmet (though you could) but on bars or thereabouts maybe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 03 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimster wrote:
what the. fuuuuu***** is Jeff Bezos playing at before I pull the trigger.

He's a kunt and so is his crappy search engine.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 11 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video not worth a new thread so I’ll give this thread a nudge -

https://news.sky.com/video/rider-prosecuted-for-dangerous-driving-using-his-own-dashcam-footage-13004494

That roundabout…

My own experiments with cheapish cameras suggested the camera gives a completely different perspective and exaggerates separation distances, so reviewing gives a false impression of how you ride. (Not in this case, obviously.)

Some of the worst car drivers I see have cameras and I expect they’ve previously encountered incidents and had no self-awareness that they themselves were at fault.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these

https://techalogic.co.uk/product/dc-2-pro-dual-lens-helmet-camera/

Records forward and backward at the same time. It's just OK, not brilliant but does the job. Only got a 1.5-2 hr battery life though and it sticks out quite a bit from your lid.

My brother has an insta 360 camera which records 360 all the time. If you need the footage you just access the file and use whatever bit of the 360 you need, be it forwards, backward or to the side. Its even more expensive though... Sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 23 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistair Express sell decent ripoff goproz.
I think the one I have is equal to my gopro and they have easier controls. (More buttons).
Come with waterproof case and 3m mounts for vlogery.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1