Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Risk Management for Dummies?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 07 Nov 2023    Post subject: Risk Management for Dummies? Reply with quote

Does someone here - I vaguely remember - perhaps deal with risk management?

(could be another forum, possibly unrelated to motorcycling, admittedly where the risk-management people hang out, LOL)

I've been asked by my boss get to grips with our "risk register" system - to provide extra resilience in case with our Head of Assurance gets sick [or whatevs].

So although I am happy to take notes whilst I listen to her explain how it works, what she does, etc, I need to get a much firmer grip of just what the hell I need to understand.
Therefore, extra reading matter after hours.

I've sat in on a few online seminars for NEDs, as well as following the journey (when I've been taking minutes) of our own hospital whilst the HoA was overhauling ours in the last couple of years - although a lot of it went right over my head at the time, I do grasp the general idea - but I need to understand more about it, without the intensity of an MBA-level course Brick Wall I'm about to plough into the NHS England website but not tonight, I don't have the fortitude - or the pay packet - to do it at this time of night.

Any suggestions for some light bedtime reading?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 07 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, google has been my friend and sent me some nice simple slides The Five Ts of Risk Management, The Five Ws for the win, etc ad nauseum.

Am so NOT reading any of that tonight! Laughing
When I have a fresh brain ...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:06 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I circumvent a lot of it by saying to anyone who asks that no two situations I encounter are the same so I perform a dynamic risk assessment for every task. "dynamic risk assessment" sounds so wonderfully buzz-wordy that they usually swallow it.

When I get students in, I give them a health and safety briefing which goes as follows: "Do not do anything you think may be dangerous. If you see someone else doing something you think may be dangerous, tell them to stop. If they don't, tell me.". And that is H&S in a nutshell.

I also give them a fire briefing. "In the case of fire, raise the alarm by setting off the alarm and/or shouting "Fire! Fire!", Leave the building by the nearest exit. Assemble in the carpark. Dial 999 as soon as it is safe to do so.".

I believe someone else gives them a huge folder of shite to read through and sign to say they've read it. Which they wont actually read or absorb in any way. I suspect the production of this is what they want you to do?

I did do a bit on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) at one time, but it's very dry and I concluded it's also useless because people are people and you need to keep things simple. They spend more time finding ways to skip forwards through online training videos and cheat on the test than they do actually doing the online training. They brought in online training at my work and i don't think a single person actually watched it all, they just left the player running in the background on mute while they got on with something else.

The fire safety officer when I was doing basic training in the TA had the right idea. He sat everyone down and showed an unredacted film of the Bradford stadium fire (which is scarily only about 10 minutes long). Then said "This concludes your first lesson on fire safety. Dismissed". The following lessons were given the classes full attention.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more like ALL the risks in ALL the directorates and departments ALL at once - its like a series of individual risk registers all amalgamated into one big one, and which then has to be aligned with the risk register/s of another (much much larger) hospital at some point in the very near future.

Luckily I don't expect to have to be involved in that aspect of it, I'm only apparently learning this so that if she gets ROBaB then there is still someone (i.e., me) who can pick it up and do the daily whatevs.

I'm not sure I'm the right person for the task but it gives me a bit of a challenge and some extra experience I'd not have had otherwise Cool

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there may be a lot of Shocked Shocked spreadsheet wrangling Shocked Shocked of which I am not a fan.

I've only just managed to get the hang of Excel enough to run a short monthly report of which clinical guidelines or corporate policies are outstanding.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The fire safety officer when I was doing basic training in the TA had the right idea. He sat everyone down and showed an unredacted film of the Bradford stadium fire (which is scarily only about 10 minutes long). Then said "This concludes your first lesson on fire safety. Dismissed". The following lessons were given the classes full attention.

God I remember that - it was dreadful.
As you say, scary!
Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risk management is fairly straightforward.

1. Identify the risk and make sure it IS a risk.
2. Identify any threats that may affect the risk.
3. Assess the likelihood of the threat impacting the risk (usually on a scale of 1-5)
4. Assess the likely impact of a threat against that risk (again 1-5)
5. Multiply the likelihood with the impact and that's the risk score.

Depending on your organisation's risk appetite you can treat the risk one of several ways.

1. Accept the risk (retention)
2. Transfer the risk usually insurance or contracts.
3. Reduce the risk by applying a control that reduces likelihood, impact, or both.
4. Avoid the risk by not doing whatever it is that causes it.
5. Share the risk by distributing it among other organisations/services.

Once you've treated the risk whatever remains is called the residual risk.

Rinse and repeat. The aim is to reduce your risk profile through iteration which is why risk register entries are usually a permanent fixture on the agenda of senior management meetings.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey HK, I don't expect it's me you're thinking of but I'm a qualified H&S nerd, got my diploma and all the boring stuff.

I've also been involved in some organisational level risk management planning at a fairly high level, which is more the general operational risks rather than the specific H&S side of things (e.g. "What if there was a giant fire which makes HQ unoccupiable for months?") which is probably more relevant.

Worth noting I don't do it as a job per se, but if you have any questions or need some pointers I'd be happy to help. Anything in particular?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:33 - 08 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as risk is a whole collection of professions in its own right, I'd start off by getting clear on what they want you to do. When they start rabbit holing, drag them back to what they want you to do.

My best guess is that your job would be to wrangle the spreadsheet of spreadsheets. Get the assorted inputs from across the business, and put the ones with big scary numbers into one spreadsheet.

Hand that spreadsheet over to a board, or someone senior enough to make decisions.

Repeat the process every month or so.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone knew something about it in here Laughing
(interestingly there was someone on the other forum who knew something about it, but not in this much detail)

Islander wrote:
risk register entries are usually a permanent fixture on the agenda of senior management meetings.

^^This, though ^^
It certainly is on mine. Laughing
Every month! The lady who presents it (pretty much as Robby describes) is the one I have to shadow and learn a bit about it, in case she falls under a bus.

Thanks, that was very useful.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Seeing as risk is a whole collection of professions in its own right, I'd start off by getting clear on what they want you to do. When they start rabbit holing, drag them back to what they want you to do.

My best guess is that your job would be to wrangle the spreadsheet of spreadsheets. Get the assorted inputs from across the business, and put the ones with big scary numbers into one spreadsheet.

Hand that spreadsheet over to a board, or someone senior enough to make decisions

Repeat the process every month or so.

Yes, this is pretty much what my boss wants me to understand.

The Head of Assurance has developed a very fancy-looking interactive series of spreadsheets.

I suppose I shall be learning what it means, how to read what's developing, whose attention to draw, etc and ensure I know how to put it together on a monthly basis in the event of erm, misfortune on her part. (I'm sure she's younger than me although not by much - I'll probably die first anyway Laughing )

I don't have to actually do it, I just have to understand what she does, so if necessary I can produce it for the senior management meeting - which I organise anyway.

Once I've learned about it, if I had to present about it I could probably confidently talk about it, if not in great depth. They'd be more experienced at reading the information than I currently am, anyway.

It also does get taken to the Board.

I guess my boss thinks I'm bright/confident enough to handle it, or he'd not have suggested it. I'm secretly pleased.

Thank you all for your interesting and helpful inputs.
Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
more the general operational risks rather than the specific H&S side of things (e.g. "What if there was a giant fire which makes HQ unoccupiable for months?") which is probably more relevant.

It certainly does include that.

It also includes clinical risk as well as operational (wards, theatres, bed availability or lack thereof and swiftly increasing waiting lists), and not to mention staff resources, health and safety, estates, financial and just about every subject possible. Laughing

So far my only dealings with the entire subject have been to list it on the agenda, attach the Excel file to the papers going out, then listen appropriately whilst in the meeting so I can write some guff about it in the minutes.

I'm quite excited to learn a bit more about it.
Yes, I am sad and have no life Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:28 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
c_dug wrote:
more the general operational risks rather than the specific H&S side of things (e.g. "What if there was a giant fire which makes HQ unoccupiable for months?") which is probably more relevant.

It certainly does include that.

It also includes clinical risk as well as operational (wards, theatres, bed availability or lack thereof and swiftly increasing waiting lists), and not to mention staff resources, health and safety, estates, financial and just about every subject possible. Laughing

So far my only dealings with the entire subject have been to list it on the agenda, attach the Excel file to the papers going out, then listen appropriately whilst in the meeting so I can write some guff about it in the minutes.

I'm quite excited to learn a bit more about it.
Yes, I am sad and have no life Laughing

Jeeziz....

As if the carnage in the Holy Land is not enough, Hellcat done gone all HR Admin on us.all.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:39 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you only show the seniors what they need to see, and in a simple format. This generally means primary colours and short words.

When you're being shown how to do it, make sure to differentiate between what you need to know to do this job, and wider risk management stuff. Be prepared to interrupt, and to say when you don't get it. People like this have a tendency to dump too much information on you, a lot of which you don't really need.

Also be clear on what is your responsibility, and what is not. The bulk of it will not be yours. I expect a lot of the work is chasing people to provide their numbers for this month.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Jeeziz....

As if the carnage in the Holy Land is not enough, Hellcat done gone all HR Admin on us.all.

Oi!
I resent that remark in extremely high dudgeon.
I try to have as little to do with H.R. as possible.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 09 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Generally you only show the seniors what they need to see, and in a simple format. This generally means primary colours and short words.

When you're being shown how to do it, make sure to differentiate between what you need to know to do this job, and wider risk management stuff. Be prepared to interrupt, and to say when you don't get it. People like this have a tendency to dump too much information on you, a lot of which you don't really need.

Also be clear on what is your responsibility, and what is not. The bulk of it will not be yours. I expect a lot of the work is chasing people to provide their numbers for this month.

Yes I am hoping that the chasing-for-numbers aspect is mostly what it will be. But I'm conscious that I need to understand those basics as depicted by Islander, too - and how they are relevant to the business of hospital-running.

I'll probably ask LOTS of questions. I'm no longer afraid to appear gormless : I've realised there's too much for me to know in one go. They now know I'm smart(ish) and can connect the dots even if I have to ask 3 times before it sinks in.

I'm also realising that an Executive Summary done correctly is a thing of beauty, and am thankful for them when provided. I'm learning not to waffle, in the office at least ... Mr. Green
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1